Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Oopsies...(you made me chuckle)

But the maps are still in English.

I'm bilingual...caint help it.
Cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Lot of people want a second airport but few want to live near it.
Just look at all high income neighborhoods around HJIA.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
Combined with the new Braves stadium, the traffic would be beyond horrific. Lot of people want a second airport but few want to live near it.
And you're basing this on the extensive studies you've done?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just look at all high income neighborhoods around HJIA.
The value of the neighborhoods around Hartsfield has nothing to do with the airport. Actually they are slowly starting to increase, starting with East Point and College Park.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Re-read what I wrote, I said I doubt it would serve less than 10 arr/dep per day. Meaning there is no way they would propose it if it didn't serve at least 10 arr/dep per day. Yes, that number is pulled out of my hat, but considering that it probably averages far less than that per day by the numbers (some days with more, but many days with 0), even that is a substantial increase for noise-adverse neighbors.

As to the comparisons to Love field, the key difference is that Love has been a commercial airport since 1927 when it was bought for civilian use. I don't know how much development was around Love back then, but I'd be willing to bet that it was a lot less than exists around Dobbins.
My bad... I did mis-read your point. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:01 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Of course even if the worst case scenario comes to pass it won't be the end of Atlanta or even the end of Cobb's success. It's just rearing it's ugly head at a most inopportune time when the region is trying to get back on it's feet. I truly am starting to hate military bases. They should just stick them out in the middle of nowhere so cities and towns won't have to go thru this agony of worry and wait to see whether they will get slammed. They might bring a great deal of economic prosperity for a while but the constant worry over the closure of them would worry me into the loony bin. If I were a civic leader, a military base would be the LAST thing I would try to land in my area. It's not worth the constant worry and strife. These are of course my opinions and nothing more.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Of course even if the worst case scenario comes to pass it won't be the end of Atlanta or even the end of Cobb's success. It's just rearing it's ugly head at a most inopportune time when the region is trying to get back on it's feet. I truly am starting to hate military bases. They should just stick them out in the middle of nowhere so cities and towns won't have to go thru this agony of worry and wait to see whether they will get slammed. They might bring a great deal of economic prosperity for a while but the constant worry over the closure of them would worry me into the loony bin. If I were a civic leader, a military base would be the LAST thing I would try to land in my area. It's not worth the constant worry and strife. These are of course my opinions and nothing more.
When Dobbins was first built (1941), it was in the middle of nowhere. Suburban sprawl later grew up around it.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
I used to live in the Dobbins flight path. A commercial airport would be a huge difference, as many have noted. That said, there are many in that area that would likely be receptive to buy-outs or compensation.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
When Dobbins was first built (1941), it was in the middle of nowhere. Suburban sprawl later grew up around it.
And anyone who bought a home in the flight path of an airbase and didn't expect aircraft overhead should be slapped around. The base has been there in one form or another since WWII.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Blame the local goobers who run the county governments surrounding the airbase. Cobb county was all countryside when Dobbins was first built there.

You can't blame the base for the reality that proper zoning for residential development was practically non-existent back then(and now).

This NIMBY nonsense is out of control. It's just like moving next to a garbage dump and then complaining that the garbage dump is there.

What is with people here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta