Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that the county should have left the surrounding area as it was in the 1940s? As stated, there's actually minimal residential growth adjacent to Dobbins, so I think there was pretty decent control.

Did Dekalb County do a better job around PDK?

There are plenty of similar situations in other cities where WWII bases and adjacent factories brought workers and development that today has grown well past the base.
I think the point he is making is more in who he was replying to.

They said military bases should only be built in rural areas.

Acid is right. They were. We can't really blame the military bases and people who moved into the area should have known what they were dealing with before building.

I don't think the counties had to prevent development around them at all, but I think it is an acknowledgement that developers, residents who moved in, and planners already knew what they were working with -before- the area grew.

I agree with you though. Dobbins does not have many residential properties immediately adjacent to the airport. It is actually a very industrial heavy area. The worse hit place is a low-value trailer park right next to the airport.

PDK in Dekalb was much worse. That airport has single family homes immediately adjacent to the airport.

Anyways I'm not a NIMBY sympathizer, especially in this case. People moved next to the active military runway where its use could immediately be ramped up or down large amounts without any local input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
That is such a simplistic easy response. Yes, from several miles away we were used to the occasional flights in/out of Dobbins, and even the jets on alternate weekends. But then when two jets flew so low we thought our ear-drums were going to break and the jets were going to come through our ceiling - - the AFB gave us the same type of response: "We were here before you" - - so we can do whatever we want.... That is abuse.
My opinion is that it's neither a simplistic nor incorrect response. It reminds me of the movie "Private Benjamin" where she says she signed up for the "army with the condos." If you buy near an active Air Force base, then expect aircraft of all types overhead. The fact that flights were limited in the past is no guarantee for the future.

To me, what's simplistic are people who use terms like "abuse" or think that "traffic will be horrific" when this is still total fantasy and a hypothetical discussion.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Wow Neil…

I am actually in agreement with you about people having unreasonable expectations when moving near an airbase.

And yet because I don't say it the way you think I should say it, you flip out. I am not going to couch my words just to sooth your ideological leanings, man.

You know what? I think you did this long ago.

Can't remember when, but you reacted in much the same manner as this time on something that we both agreed upon before.

And what does Dekalb have to do with this thread? Am I supposed to be offended or something?

Is this more of your zero-sum political logic at work here? Should I say nanny-nanny boo boo stick your head in poo-poo as a response?

Heck, I'd say the same thing about Dekalb's political leadership because most of them suck too, but this thread isn't about people complaining about living near PDK.

You don't have to see an opportunity to wage apocalyptic ideological warfare in every darn response, Neil. You're gonna burn yourself out obsessing over the inconsequential.

Just sayin'...

Quote:
Are you seriously trying to say that the county should have left the surrounding area as it was in the 1940s? As stated, there's actually minimal residential growth adjacent to Dobbins, so I think there was pretty decent control.

Did Dekalb County do a better job around PDK?

There are plenty of similar situations in other cities where WWII bases and adjacent factories brought workers and development that today has grown well past the base.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Quote:
One important point that I feel needs to be made is that Dobbins is NOT the same as what was proposed in Gwinnett County at Briscoe Field.

At Gwinnett, you have an airport that is used primarily by general aviation. Air traffic there is mostly private prop aircraft and small business jets.

At Dobbins, you've had multi-engine cargo and tanker jets using the field for decades. A C-5 is bigger than a 747. Add the F-22, F-18, and other fighter jets, and the air traffic at Dobbins has been in a different class from Gwinnett or even PDK.
And C-5s are LOUD. You could hear one of those things several miles away.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Wow Neil…

I am actually in agreement with you about people having unreasonable expectations when moving near an airbase.

And yet because I don't say it the way you think I should say it, you flip out. I am not going to couch my words just to sooth your ideological leanings, man.

You know what? I think you did this long ago.

Can't remember when, but you reacted in much the same manner as this time on something that we both agreed upon before.

And what does Dekalb have to do with this thread? Am I supposed to be offended or something?

Is this more of your zero-sum political logic at work here? Should I say nanny-nanny boo boo stick your head in poo-poo as a response?

Heck, I'd say the same thing about Dekalb's political leadership because most of them suck too, but this thread isn't about people complaining about living near PDK.

You don't have to see an opportunity to wage apocalyptic ideological warfare in every darn response, Neil. You're gonna burn yourself out obsessing over the inconsequential.

Just sayin'...
I obviously touch a nerve with you, and you seem to take things personally, so it seems to be mostly you. You disagree with me, but I don't condescend or treat you like a 2 year old.

I speak frankly and openly. No one "flipped out." (Well no one on this side of the KB) Feel free to hit ignore if you can't take it or don't like it.

Oh...and I appreciate your concern for my well being.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Ha! You're too much sometimes.

Enjoy your day, big guy.

Quote:
I obviously touch a nerve with you, and you seem to take things personally, so it seems to be mostly you. You disagree with me, but I don't condescend or treat you like a 2 year old.

I speak frankly and openly. No one "flipped out." (Well no one on this side of the KB) Feel free to hit ignore if you can't take it or don't like it.

Oh...and I appreciate your concern for my well being.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Getting back on topic, if Dobbins were to close, having it become a regional "second" airport would definitely be a good idea.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Off topic a bit... I've always wondered why we refer to it as PDK when the highway signs say Dekalb Peachtree. Why are the P and D reversed?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
PDK is the FAA / ICAO (KPDK) code for the airport .

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
PDK is the FAA / ICAO (KPDK) code for the airport .
Hmm. Is there a DPK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta