Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 38,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

You can be angry about it if you want..................
I'm not angry. Please don't take me wrong, it's just extremely frustrating.......
And yes of course they do not want to prorate the tax, why would they? Atleast they can buy more snow/ice removing vehicles, can't they?
As far as the idea of licensing my vehicle in the state i'm moving to i was thinking about it although have not research it yet.
Thanks for the help btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 18,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuub View Post
I called DMV and explained the situation. Of course they don't do prorates as i expected so basically i was told to pay the $350 or my registration will run out. There is no way i'm paying this kind of money for 1 month of driving.
I can't ship the truck in advance because i need it daily. Rent a car would not save me anything.
I wouldn't want to pay that either. Could you rely on MARTA for the month?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM

18 posts, read 38,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplant1 View Post
I wouldn't want to pay that either. Could you rely on MARTA for the month?
I wish i could.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
I ran into the same situation when living in Michigan back in 2011. My birthday was in May and we haven't sold the house yet. I was already living here (corp housing) but using Michigan plates and license. I paid the Michigan plate fees for another year. Sold house house end of May, bought house here and moved family end of June.

After things settled down, we changed to Georgia plates like 3 months after we moved. DMV didn't bat an eye.

My boss works here in ATL but still has his NC plates. His house is on Lake Norman and he goes back home just about every weekend. And he has a small house here in Va-Hi area.

You only options are to pay up, move 1 month early, or use alternate transportation like MARTA/rent a car, etc..

Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM

43 posts, read 63,567 times
Don't feel bad. I have a 2007 Santa Fe and I paid $780 to Georgia to bring my car here in December. I am moving to Florida in a month, and will lose all of that money. A real scam.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Can't you just pay GA's tax one more time and wait until next year to register in your new state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta