Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Georgia Legislature approved a measure today that would allow police to ticket those driving too slowly in the left lanes on the state's highways and interstates.

The "slow poke" bill would require any driver on a divided highway to move to the right – even if they're driving at the speed limit — when a vehicle going faster comes up from behind, or face a misdemeanor charge.

I've been complaining about this for a while. People need to stop driving so darn slow in the left lane.

Georgia's 'Slow Poke' bill moves step closer to reality

Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I've been complaining about this for a while. People need to stop driving so darn slow in the left lane.
I agree with this bill, but a relevant point was brought up in the other thread about this; what is it that this bill makes illegal that wasn't already on the books?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Slow poke driver bill. I approve
*The bhammaster STAMP OF APPROVAL!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I agree with this bill, but a relevant point was brought up in the other thread about this; what is it that this bill makes illegal that wasn't already on the books?
It appears that the bill makes the far-left general purpose lane for passing only, which isn't that unusual of a law if that is indeed the case as many states have laws that make it illegal to linger in the left-lane if one is not passing.

Other than that, this bill appears to be much more of a populist-like election year PR stunt meant to appeal to Georgia drivers' (Georgia voters) propensity to speed than anything else.

("Those damn slow-poking speed limit drivers are ruining our roads!")

Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Georgia already has a law that requires you to pass or move over. We also have a minimum speed limit. This bill is nonsense window dressing. It's red meat. It's ridiculous.

The speed limit is the speed limit. Legally, that's the fastest any vehicle should be going, not a starting point that you shouldn't be going slower than. The fact that some want to drive 80 mph in a 55 zone like many of the Interstates around Atlanta doesn't obligate me to drive 80 mph.

Out in the rural areas, if I'm doing 70 or 75 or 80 mph...then people wanting to go 90 mph behind me are out of luck if I'm passing people in the left lane. YOU need to slow down. I don't need to speed up.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times
Waste of time. Not enforceable. It's like the "no talking on the phone" law. American politics is a joke. I'd like to see the research that props up this bill. Who the hell is claiming "slow pokes" not being in the left lane will speed up efficiency and/or reduce traffic?

I would also like to see the resume and background of the "researcher" who conducted said analysis.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I'd like to see enforcement of existing laws.

Having said that, the simplest law to enforce would be that tractor trailers are only allowed in the 2 right lanes. Seems pretty simple, but I see it violated multiple times every day.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Georgia already has a law that requires you to pass or move over. We also have a minimum speed limit. This bill is nonsense window dressing. It's red meat. It's ridiculous.

The speed limit is the speed limit. Legally, that's the fastest any vehicle should be going, not a starting point that you shouldn't be going slower than. The fact that some want to drive 80 mph in a 55 zone like many of the Interstates around Atlanta doesn't obligate me to drive 80 mph.

Out in the rural areas, if I'm doing 70 or 75 or 80 mph...then people wanting to go 90 mph behind me are out of luck if I'm passing people in the left lane. YOU need to slow down. I don't need to speed up.
Exactly.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 PM

225 posts, read 277,752 times
The fundamental problem is that Americans, in general, do not know how to properly drive in highway traffic. If we all would learn, and practice, the German concept of "driving right" on a highway, things would move much more smoothly on the highways. The Germans manage the autobahn by driving all the way to the right of the highway, unless they are passing, which they always do on the left. It is how they are all trained to drive, and it is effective. I cringe when I see people passing on the right on highways.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:11 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
I approve! Too many think they are the only ones on the road and can drive at whatever speed and lane they want.

Stay right, unless to pass. It works wonders in Europe. I don't understand why we can't figure it out.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Stay right, unless to pass. It works wonders in Europe. I don't understand why we can't figure it out.
Right, but we already have a law that covers that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta