Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times

Advertisements

I would just go in and face the piper.
The fine will be nasty, heck the county "revenue" lights garner $75.00 per hit.
Your first offense, no points, etc., then maybe you can get the fine and move on.
Give it about 30-60 days and check your MVR and see if the State recorded the points. Sometimes the State will not transfer local tickets due to the revenue point.
If you do get hit, then go online and take a defensive driving course to get them wiped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Oh yeah, I noticed your screen name. Please when you stand in front of the judge and if he/she is local do not, please do not, make a comment like "I'm from NY and you know in NY ................." then you will probably get community service and jail.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:01 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Default I won't do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Oh yeah, I noticed your screen name. Please when you stand in front of the judge and if he/she is local do not, please do not, make a comment like "I'm from NY and you know in NY ................." then you will probably get community service and jail.
Oh i think i've been down in GA long enough (barely 2 yrs) to know NOT to do the "i'm from NY" thing. He'll throw the book at me! LOL. I don't know why the animosity against NYers, but i won't even go there. Anyway, i found out the ticket is $140, which i can live with, but i decided to show up in court this morning and roll the dice and see what happens. I don't even know what i'm going to say exactly, but i'll say a prayer before i walk in, and i will ask the court for leniency. This is really my 1st speeding ticket in 19 yrs so come on, that should say something about me as a driver. Wish me luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Oh i think i've been down in GA long enough (barely 2 yrs) to know NOT to do the "i'm from NY" thing. He'll throw the book at me! LOL. I don't know why the animosity against NYers, but i won't even go there.
It's not just NYers, it's ANY northerner. At least for some people. But NYers sometimes bring a unique charm to the table that tends to draw attention.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
I got the same ticket in Baton Rogue, LA. I hired a local lawyer and had it reduced to a non-moving violation and a $200 fine. My lawyer costs me $300. Worth every penny!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM

23 posts, read 88,805 times
Whatever you do don't say "I just wasn't paying attention". Judges don't like that statement much, they like you to be alert and attentive when you are driving, using "my head was in the clouds" as your reason for speeding will definitely not get you points with the judge. I know this from experience.

I tend to get speeding tickets and have no qualms with paying them. I'm not unaware that I am breaking the law.

PS: If someone is riding your tail, move to the slow lane, the furthest to the right. Best thing to do is to let these people get past you. If you're on a one laner, you can either get off the road or turn your blinker on so they think you are turning. Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
In my defense, i was one block from my house and i'm a slow driver compared to the people that fly past me every day. Atlanta drivers are VERY aggressive.
So, if someone's child had run out in the school zone and you plastered them doing that 47mph, your excuse would be, "but I was only a block from my house and everyone else was driving worse than me"? Is that what you'd tell their parents as they bury the kid, or visit them in the ICU of the local hospital?

Please.

It doesn't matter if this is your first offense or if you do it every week. It only takes ONE bad error in judgement while driving to hurt or kill other people. You broke a law. Go to court, admit it, and pay the fine or do whatever else they tell you to do, and just don't do it again. It's called personal responsibility - two wonderful words to memorize.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times
Call the court & see what your options are. You may be able to attend traffic school. A colleague at work got a ticket for the same thing, and I believe it was roughly the same speed -- only difference was his was in Fulton County. I believe he did the nolo route mentioned above. He did have to do community service at a local charity, but he got no points.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Default speeding ticket

well 1st every one is going to get mad at me but here goes , shame on you again for the speeding in the school zone , BUT(1) never plead guilty, make them prove there was a crime , an injured party see constitutionaly they have to provide you with a Verified Complaint to move forward with your case . That is if you don't plead guilty , or nolo . ( This is how the court system opperates.) and how they make their money You must at the arreignment just Demand the Verified Complaint From the injured party . The officer was not injured ? the city was not injured? Who was ? NO one was. Then there was no crime and there can be no punishment, the case must be dismissed. check out the numbers on the bottom of your ticket ! If you think this is bull #@%$&^. Then look at this web site. We The People Foundation & We The People Congress . The Constitution of the United States Is alive and well And your only defence . And again slow down

Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 PM

217 posts, read 879,205 times
Wait a minute. Did I read this correctly? The OP received a ticket for driving 47 in a 25 SCHOOL zone and they are calling Atlanta drivers bad? Seems like you are part of the problem you are talking about.

I admit I have a bit of a leadfoot, but driving fast through a school zone is a big no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta