Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 5,330 times

Advertisements

1. About $1500 or so?
2. Rather have a home rental (had a VERY bad experience with noise at current apartment). 3 bedrooms min.
3. Wife will be working in hospital by perimeter center
4. 1 child that can't walk yet (actually hasn't figured out the crawling either)
5. Quiet neighborhood but close to malls and such (no living in the sticks!)
6. Public transit is optional (especially if train drops off right at hospital)
7. Demographics preference is mixed. Close to some Chinese stores and restaurants would be nice but not a necessity.

So a little background.

Me and wife both grew up in South Florida and she just got offered a job in Atlanta.
Every now and then she will have to commute to Emory for work but most of the time it will be at St. Josephs.
We plan to rent for 1 year or less and then get a house. We would like to get a new home if possible but if traffic is THAT bad (compared to South FL) then we would move closer in. We would be ok with max 40min commutes (30 is ok). I'm ok with older house but things like roof and appliances worry me. BTW we will be first time home buyers. We also considered Charlotte, NC to move to but we thought Atlanta offered much more diversity and amenities (although you can get some VERY nice homes in Charlotte for not much $$$).

Currently scouting Alpharetta/Roswell/Johns Creek area. Are there any other areas that we should look into? What about old house vs new? I also read about MARTA expansion to Alpharetta so we wouldn't be opposed to taking the train either.

Finally, I'm an avid badminton and tennis player so how is the scene for that? I played last year in the Atlanta games for badminton but are there local clubs besides the university ones?

Thanks all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM

10,365 posts, read 11,408,870 times
Alpharetta, Roswell and Johns Creek are good areas to look in...EXCELLENT SCHOOLS! Though any expansion of MARTA north to Alpharetta is still many, many years away at this point, so you should not necessarily center your relocation plans around it.

If you want to live closer-in to where your wife will be working (and don't mind living in a Northeastern-style row house townhome), look around in areas like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Buckhead and Brookhaven.

If you want more ultra-diverse demographics you could look around in the Peachtree Corners area in Western Gwinnett County.

East Cobb County (an area known simply to the locals as "East Cobb") is also a good place to look because of the strength of the schools and because of the area's location inside of the 40-minute commuting shed that you do not want to exceed.

It should also be noted that the types of homes that you are most likely to find for rent for $1500/month and under in the aforementioned areas will be the Northeastern-style attached row house townhomes that I spoke of earlier or smaller, older homes.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:46 AM

How about Lilburn area? Is it ok?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Just looked at Peachtree Corners. Looks like a nice area!
Just wondering why city-data has a pocket of low income right by Medlock Bridge Road. Is that outdated info?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,631,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimcorner View Post
Just looked at Peachtree Corners. Looks like a nice area!
Just wondering why city-data has a pocket of low income right by Medlock Bridge Road. Is that outdated info?
Have you looked at the area around St. Joes, Brookhaven -- just to rent?

If most of her time will be there -- you might want to consider that. Because your child isn't school age yet, you don't need to rent where you may eventually buy. It will give you time to get the lay of the land while giving your wife a nice commute most days.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 AM

We are also looking around perimeter center as well. I see it will be an apartment basically around that area. I had a VERY bad experience with a downstairs neighbor playing hip-hop loud enough to hear over my TV I think it was just bad luck and crappy construction of apartments (I can hear people talking 20 feet away from the outside wall).

Anyone have feedback on apartment construction in the perimeter area?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,631,843 times
Have you searched Craigslist for Brookhaven (first do Atlanta, then housing, then search for Brookhaven) A quick search showed a half dozen or so homes in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta