Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 PM

26 posts, read 36,695 times

Advertisements

How long do you believe it will be before the skylines between Buckhead and Midtown merge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM

708 posts, read 999,357 times
2020-2030ish

Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Never. You've got the interstate corridors, the MARTA line and some pretty significant industrial / warehouse space in between them for one thing, and a lot of great blocks / neighborhoods up Peachtree Road would have to be destroyed if you wanted to line the street with high-rises all the way.

I think they'll continue to grow closer together, but they'll never merge.

Downtown-Midtown? Midtown-West Midtown? Now that's something else that developers and the city should really be encouraging and we'll likely see in our lifetimes.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Frankly speaking, even if a huge building boom were to re-emerge in that region of the city, it still would take a matter of a few decades before the skylines were to truly merge into one, long continuous string of buildings or towers. And then there would probably yet be weaker areas or gaps where the line in the sky would be little more than low-rise buildings.
I've been at my job in Midtown for nearly 30 years & have watched the skyline out of our north-facing suite windows morph incredibly larger. Many old gaps have filled in but there are still large, expansive spaces where nothing more than low rise to mid rise exist now.
And yet, looking at the Peachtree Road corridor from the air, there is already a semblance of connectivity between Midtown & Buckhead in that the roadway & it's current development already resemble a long spine. But I would not go so far as to say that it's development in any ways resembles a merged skyline.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM

298 posts, read 373,783 times
I don't like that idea, doesn't leave enough elbow room.

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp01512 View Post
How long do you believe it will be before the skylines between Buckhead and Midtown merge?
the way i see it, you've got two possible corridors to connect the skyline without destroying neighbourhoods: peachtree road and piedmont. piedmont is the most likely corridor to see skyscrapers go up on because right along piedmont road you've got a lot of sprawl, one story industrial buildings, strip clubs, and so on, that could potentially be replaced with more urban development. however, it would be a very narrow strip of skyline if it were ever to connect.

the thing is, you're seeing mid-rise development along that corridor now, and i don't think that's really going to change.

the other option is peachtree road, but the problem there is that you've got tons of historic neighbourhoods and beautiful buildings along that corridor, especially the area around peachtree heights and the two cathedrals. north and south of that area, you've got a similar situation to piedmont road, a narrow strip of car oriented development that has a good potential for urban development, but from a visual point of view, it wouldn't really connect the skyline as the development would be too narrow of a strip.

the only other way you could connect the skylines is if you take out a neighbourhood or two, and i don't think anyone wants that to happen.

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Downtown-Midtown? Midtown-West Midtown? Now that's something else that developers and the city should really be encouraging and we'll likely see in our lifetimes.
Co-sign.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
BTW ... Manhattan's skylines don't connect. Neither do LA's. Atlanta's don't have to connect either to make the city more urban than it is today; just continue with lots of mid and low-rise infill and the goal will be accomplished.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM

708 posts, read 999,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atljr View Post
i don't like that idea, doesn't leave enough elbow room.
shutup!!!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
There is not rail-base transit along that corridor to support higher density. Let's focus high density projects around existing transit stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: