Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times

Advertisements

Hi. I got a ticket for allegedly running a stop sign, and after every single person in the {expletive-deleted} world told me it's not worth my time to try to fight it, I'm probably just going to pay the fine.

But, out of curiosity, I was wondering how I could go about getting a copy of the cop car's dash cam video, to see whether there's any evidence I actually did run the stop sign. Is it possible for a lay person to do it with a reasonable amount of effort?

APD does have an 'open records' site ([url=http://www.atlantapd.org/openrecordsrequest.aspx]APD Open Records Request[/url]), but they'll only provide material from closed cases. That means I'll have to pay the fine and admit guilt before I could get evidence that might prove my innocence. Nice Catch-22, eh?

The guy I spoke to at Open Records said I could file a subpoena to request the video. Is that different from a Freedom of Information Act request? Obviously I could hire a lawyer to handle this for me, but the point of this whole exercise is just to learn how complicated it is to get this information on my own.

In a day and age where I can get instant access to live streaming video from the other side of the world, and where websites routinely host personal information that is protected by private log-ins, it's clearly possible to set up a server that would give people quick access to video pertinent to their cases. I figure I've only got a slim chance of any of this making a difference, but if I can give my friends a clear idea of how badly the system is set up, perhaps we can be one small part of a push to get the system improved.

So, any suggestions, Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta