Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,795,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Kroger is the largest grocery store in America that sells groceries and nothing else. Walmart has more locations than Kroger, but they aren't a grocery store in the purist sense of the term...
What are you talking about? You could furnish your patio/buy lawn furniture, stop to grab a cup of Starbuck's, and quite a few things other than buy groceries at Kroger. I think it must depend on the area, but the OP is in Atlanta.

As for Walmart not being a traditional grocery store, it wasn't one at all at first. It was more like a big drug store. Only after the addition of the Super Walmarts did groceries come into play.

I'm not clear why some people thought the OP was under attack for driving half way across town looking for a Walmart to buy a dustbuster at 4 o'clock in the morning. Granted, it didn't sound like a crisis - wait it out for a few hours. However, it seemed more efficient to try a 24-hour Walgreens or Kroger to purchase that item at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,388,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
From where I'm from (Montgomery, AL), Walmart crushed all the other grocery stores. Prior to Super Walmart coming to town, we had Winn-Dixie, Food World, Bruno's, Delchamps, Food Lion, and a local store Calhoun Foods. I think that now, there is ONE or TWO Winn-Dixie's left, ONE Food Lion (it might not be a Food Lion anymore but is still a grocery store), and 4 Super Walmarts...

Only 1 (the one out in Pike Road - consider it Montgomery's Alpharetta) is open 24 hours. The rest (inside the city limits) close at 9PM and midnight. The one closest to where I grew up was on the news when I was in high school for going from 24 hours to closing at 9PM because of the large amounts of thefts that happened at night...that Walmart in particular said that the amount that went missing was causing them to run in the red...I think it's things like that that cause Walmarts to close in certain locations and not others (among other reasons of course).

But ultimately, they are going to do what makes them money...they don't care about you or your work schedule or food deserts...they care about green.
Montgomery is not a small city either. To my earlier comments; it isn't an exact science, but those were just my casual observations.

Were those stores you mentioned very competitive with price? Is WalMart offering a newer look, what truly differentiates Walmart from everyone else? There are a number of factors that affect older businesses in the face of new competition.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
What are you talking about? You could furnish your patio/buy lawn furniture, stop to grab a cup of Starbuck's, and quite a few things other than buy groceries at Kroger. I think it must depend on the area, but the OP is in Atlanta.

As for Walmart not being a traditional grocery store, it wasn't one at all at first. It was more like a big drug store. Only after the addition of the Super Walmarts did groceries come into play.

I'm not clear why some people thought the OP was under attack for driving half way across town looking for a Walmart to buy a dustbuster at 4 o'clock in the morning. Granted, it didn't sound like a crisis - wait it out for a few hours. However, it seemed more efficient to try a 24-hour Walgreens or Kroger to purchase that item at the time.
That does not take away from the fact that Kroger is a grocery store, and not a hypermarket. That is the point I was trying to make. In most grocery stores, you can do the aforementioned. But they're still grocery stores, by definition. By your logic, a gas station that sells beer and potato chips is a hybrid of a gas station and something else.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM

143 posts, read 240,756 times
Quote:
Montgomery is not a small city either. To my earlier comments; it isn't an exact science, but those were just my casual observations.

Were those stores you mentioned very competitive with price? Is WalMart offering a newer look, what truly differentiates Walmart from everyone else? There are a number of factors that affect older businesses in the face of new competition.

Food World (Food World, Bruno's and Food Lion) and Winn-Dixie (Winn-Dixie and Delchamps) simply went bankrupt on a national scale because of the fast growth of Walmart and they weren't competing. Calhoun Foods went down because of SHADY business dealings with local politicians (Greg Calhoun served some time in jail).

Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That does not take away from the fact that Kroger is a grocery store, and not a hypermarket. That is the point I was trying to make. In most grocery stores, you can do the aforementioned. But they're still grocery stores, by definition. By your logic, a gas station that sells beer and potato chips is a hybrid of a gas station and something else.
Quit bobbing and weaving. I addressed this statement that you posted:

Quote:
Kroger is the largest grocery store in America that sells groceries and nothing else...
It is a false statement so fall back and take a look at your own logic before half-cocked examining mine.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
Food World (Food World, Bruno's and Food Lion) and Winn-Dixie (Winn-Dixie and Delchamps) simply went bankrupt on a national scale because of the fast growth of Walmart and they weren't competing. Calhoun Foods went down because of SHADY business dealings with local politicians (Greg Calhoun served some time in jail).
For the longest time, I thought Walmart and Bruno's were owned by the same people. Aside from both owners dying in plane crashes, I'm can't recall why.

I really did like Delchamps though. Wish they had been able to stick around.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 240,756 times
Quote:
For the longest time, I thought Walmart and Bruno's were owned by the same people. Aside from both owners dying in plane crashes, I'm can't recall why.

I really did like Delchamps though. Wish they had been able to stick around.

I on the other hand had NO IDEA that ANY of them were even related to another for the longest! I thought they were all independent trying to make it in this world...so young...so naive...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quit bobbing and weaving. I addressed this statement that you posted:

It is a false statement so fall back and take a look at your own logic before half-cocked examining mine.
Two different types of stores. Kroger has had several acquisitions over the years. WalMart has more locations, but WalMart is not a grocery store in the sense that Kroger's is. Kroger's is still the largest grocery store in America.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Two different types of stores. Kroger has had several acquisitions over the years. WalMart has more locations, but WalMart is not a grocery store in the sense that Kroger's is. Kroger's is still the largest grocery store in America.

What is happening here? I'm not PR for either store, but that still does not negate the fact that Kroger sells more than groceries and the OP could have bought a dustbuster at Walgreens and called it a night.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What is happening here? I'm not PR for either store, but that still does not negate the fact that Kroger sells more than groceries and the OP could have bought a dustbuster at Walgreens and called it a night.
We're talking about two different things I'm not even in on that argument. I actually agree with you I'll drive 5 minutes to Walgreen's in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta