Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 36,530 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into subleasing from a gal who lives in Post Brookhaven, off Caldwell Rd (at the end of Peachtree Rd, I believe) I work in Buford, so the drive wouldn't be too bad (just up 85 then to 985) I'm a 22 y/o, young professional, looking for a SAFE and fun place for young people to live. Does this POST seem appropriate? Also, any thoughts on the area would be welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,546,004 times
I have had friends who lived there back when we were in our early/mid 20's and they really enjoyed it. I would imagine it is even better now that more new stuff is going up around that area. Also, it is easy to get to other parts of town from there. I would recommend it.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Well, 25% of your rent at any Post Property is simply for the elaborate landscaping, pools, and the ability to boast that you live in a "Post Community". One of those "la-te-dah" things. Actually, the newer ones are built so poorly you can usually hear your neighbors phone ringing through the walls. The Posts where they took over other complexes and converted them are built better.

Subleasing is against their policy, by the way. If they ever found out that the renter is doing it, they'd boot you out immediately and then cancel her lease as well. Just FYI. Post has the strictest leasing requirements around. They thoroughly check credit reports, and your income has to be several times the monthly rent in order for them to even look at you. If they allowed subleasing then pretty much anyone who did get in could lease out their units to subletters who do not meet Post's qualifications, and trust me, Post Properties 'aint gonna put up with that.

In terms of Brookhaven itself - nicer area to live in. No problems and it's convenient.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,777 times
I don't think the hassle of secretly subleasing from POST will be worth it. Just my opinion. They are extremely strict and also you're most likely not guaranteed stabalized rent. If anything like POST Springs (where I used to live back in 2005), they can raise the rent with only 2 month warning.

If she's looking to just have the rent paid for the rest of her lease, I'd look into whether you can take over her lease. They may let you do that if you qualify.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM

I had NO idea that they didn't allow subleases. I would like to think she's doing this legally. Hmmm...not so sure what to do now? How is it possible that they don't let you sublease? I mean...she wants to move out before the end of her lease....? I suppose I better start researching...thanks for the advice.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0111 View Post
I had NO idea that they didn't allow subleases. I would like to think she's doing this legally. Hmmm...not so sure what to do now? How is it possible that they don't let you sublease? I mean...she wants to move out before the end of her lease....? I suppose I better start researching...thanks for the advice.
Well, as a matter of fact, MOST apartment communities here do not allow you to sublease your unit. That's something you see (sorta) in NYC. Here it is pretty much a nono in 99% of all managed communities. Many won't even allow you to move in a roommate unless they go through the application/approval process as well. Even a lot of home subdivisions will have a law in their home owners associations that forbid home owners from renting their homes out.

It's possible that the girl wanting to rent her unit out isn't fully aware of it and might just be naive and not necessarily trying to break the rules. I've been to a couple of Post leasing offices and while some of the agents are on top of things, others were like extras in Valley Girl movies. As in, ditzieeeeeeeeeee. It's possible that the agents didn't verbally go over this policy with her when she leased, and let's be honest, most folks do not read the fine print (and they should).

Either way, they don't allow it. Most places don't. If you want a place, just put in an application and apply for a unit like anyone else. But unless you like to live on the edge of knowing if you'll have a roof over your head or not in a few days, I wouldn't gamble by subleasing.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0111 View Post
How is it possible that they don't let you sublease?
It's in the contract, and she needs to give a 2 month written notice if she wishes to vacate or she'll still have to pay for two months even if they do find a new tenant. You may want to go with her and sit down in the management office and see if they are willing to transfer the remaining time on the lease to you or open a new lease with you considering she found a suitable replacement (a new lease may make it more worth their while). If they go along with it, then she needs to get it in writing that they are letting her out of the lease. It's fully within their rights to terminate a lease if a replacement is provided, but it's also fully within their rights to refuse and it really depends on who you get. If you can't get the management office there to do it, you may be able to get Post's central office to rubber stamp it.

As the o.p. said, she probably isn't aware of the rules. When I was filling out my lease at Post Springs in 2005, they were rushing me through it and I had to stop them and read every section.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:57 AM

I just spoke with her and told her about what I've learned. She's going through POST, so it's totally legit. They're actually ending her lease and creating a new one with the current tenant and me. So...much relief. Thanks for the advice though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta