Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM

640 posts, read 815,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA is on the list, just not towards the top as I thought it would be. I suppose it's just a function of the numbers since NOLA isn't all that big to begin with and a lot of NOLA natives have also migrated to Texas.

Yeah, I willing to bet they're are more NOLA folks in Houston than Atlanta by far and this is PRE AND POST KATRINA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:57 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,658,751 times
You did not read what I wrote. You should not have "stopped reading" what I wrote, as you said you did, because through that incomplete reading, you misunderstood my intent.
I never said that YOU said that Atlantans should feel inferior. I wrote however that I disagreed with YOUR ASSERTION that Atlantans had an inferiority complex on CD or anywhere frankly. There's a big difference in those 2 concepts.
Please reread our exchanges in total & please do not talk down at me as far as referring to me as not grasping what you have written.
I have not said an unkind word to you or accused you of badmouthing Atlanta.
On this thread I have entirely referred to what other Texans have inferred or said about Atlanta's economy.
It would appear that you are the one who is being too sensitive, to borrow a phrase that you used earlier about Atlantans on CD.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,229,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
LOL
I've noticed many Atlantans on this board seem to have an inferiority complex. I guess Dallas and Houston (along with D.C. and Miami) are perceived as Atlanta's greatest competitors, which they are. These 3 metros have all seen incredible growth from sleepy crossroads to major metropolitan regions over the past 50 years. Atlantans seem to worry excessively about "falling behind" city A, B, C, etc. It's a silly notion. Take Dallas and Houston for example. They both began their periods of rapid growth around the same time Atlanta did. Dallas and Houston were always slightly bigger than Atlanta when they began. Dallas and Houston grew somewhat faster in the 1960's and 1970's while Atlanta boomed in the 1980's and 1990's and matched or exceeded the Texas twins. Atlanta was usually the winner in job creation and corporate relocations for much of the past 2 decades. In the 2000's the 3 were pretty evenly matched. Dallas is inflated by the presence of Fort Worth fairly close by. The fact that Atlanta has grown to be almost as big as Dallas and Fort Worth combined is pretty impressive. All 3 are symbols of the growth of the sunbelt. Even in the current slowdown the 3 areas are recording growth any northern metro would kill for.
Interesting.....though I may add that the majority of people you meet in ATL on an everyday basis are from somewhere else. The same could probably be said for posters on CD as well. I believe JoeTarheel stated it best when he said that the defensiveness comes from all of the hating directed towards ATL. For whatever reason, ATL attracts a wide array of long range hate from other places.....

Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,229,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA is on the list, just not towards the top as I thought it would be. I suppose it's just a function of the numbers since NOLA isn't all that big to begin with and a lot of NOLA natives have also migrated to Texas.
Just to clarify your point a bit, NOLA residents never really migrated to Texas...they we kinda forced that way. But there are more in Houston than in ATL for sure.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,971,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Maybe you guys should stop "opposing" and ignore it. Not everyone is going to love Atlanta. You boosters come off as if your feelings are hurt when someone says anything & then you have the Troll threads that some Atlanta boosters make in an attempt to tease those who dont like Atlanta, so it goes both ways.
Why is anyone who responds to some ignorance a "booster"? It's crappy posts like this one that start arguments...you calling everyone boosters and accusing others of having hurt feelings when you can't possibly know that from reading a reply. I don't ever post anything from a position of "hurt feelings". That's ridiculous. And I'm not a booster, but I do love my city and do respond when I see fit.

The Atlanta hate is something that I haven't ever understood in this forum. It's not really present in real life, but mostly exists online. I think that it comes from a jealousy of the South and its popularity with transplants at the expense of Northeastern/Midwestern cities as well as a view of the South as backwards and/or less than other regions.

You can obviously view it however you like, but from my experiences in this forum most of the Atlanta members are not boosters nor are they responding from hurt feelings.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Its weird man....they never see the more they try to defend it, the more people will try to find holes in the armor.
You have it all figured out don't you? LOL! I guess you are just above the rest of us...the arrogance in your responses is just too funny - like you know something the rest of us can't possibly understand. I was a little irritated by your condescending stance, but now it's just funny.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:35 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Just to clarify your point a bit, NOLA residents never really migrated to Texas...they we kinda forced that way. But there are more in Houston than in ATL for sure.
That's still considered a migration, especially since it continued in the years since Katrina.

I think I meet just as many folks here from LA and MI as from surrounding states.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM
bu2

23,853 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Interesting.....though I may add that the majority of people you meet in ATL on an everyday basis are from somewhere else. The same could probably be said for posters on CD as well. I believe JoeTarheel stated it best when he said that the defensiveness comes from all of the hating directed towards ATL. For whatever reason, ATL attracts a wide array of long range hate from other places.....
I'm with JoeP. On this forum, a number of people interpret any comment that's not glowing as "hatred."

Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,658,751 times
Considering the rudeness that erupted here, some of it directed at me personally, I was correct about what I wrote back on the 21st in this thread about WW3 starting.
I have yet to see an apology.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm with JoeP. On this forum, a number of people interpret any comment that's not glowing as "hatred."
That's ridiculous...there are many comments made on this site that aren't "glowing", but it's the negative ones that are obviously made out of spite or ignorance that get the harsher responses. If you make a comment that's offensive you better believe there will be some defense - that's the way the world works. But if you make an informed comment or pose an honest question it won't be received negatively by 99% of Atlanta members. We are just like members from any other city on this forum, and to accuse us of being anything else just isn't reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta