Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times

Advertisements

Seems a little bit odd that a public charter school is housed in a church but I guess stranger things have happened. I guess it's possible to keep church and state separate...even while residing in a church. Anyway, sounds like a good opportunity for the children of APS. Lottery was open to everyone.

Neighbor Newspapers - New Buckhead school holds enrollment lottery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
The latest is that ACA is going to hold classes at the Heiskell School property. The Wieuca Rd. Baptist deal fell through.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 38,161 times
Atlanta Classical Academy is actually moving to the Heiskell School campus on Northside Drive. In January, the Heiskell School abruptly announced that it was closing at the end of this school year. Atlanta Classical Academy

I also don't think it's that odd that they were originally going to use available church space as a start-up location. I'm pretty sure it's been done before. APS has always had relationships with neighborhood churches, using parking lots, gyms and other facilities for their schools when needed.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Yes, using a church as a space for a new charter is not unusual. My son's school initially was supposed to be in a church but then all the school closings in the Westside caused a lot of viable space so we are in one of the old elementary schools now.

Sounds like a neat school. I hope they have good leaders and that the school is successful. Even though I am a charter supporter and parent, I still look at new charters with caution (and did so even for my son's school as I was very hesitant in moving him there initially). They have the potential, if done poorly to put a stain on the charter movement.

And in case someone knows a family who was waitlisted, be sure to have the waitlisted family turn in all the required paperwork prior to the end of April. My son was initially waitlisted as well when his school opened - he was 28th on the list but due to the lack of action by parents who won the lottery, he got in as I turned in all his enrollment forms and medical stuff the next day after the lottery anyway and he got in due to that. A friend of mine did the same with her own kids and her child was really low on the waitlist too. The early bird truly does catch the worm!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I understand there are 100s of kids waitlisted and that many of the kids enrolling came from Buckhead elementary schools. Can anyone confirm?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
It is common that hundreds of kids are waitlisted at good charter schools. My son's school's waitlist is probably 3 years long and last I heard had about 300-400 kids on the waitlist. My son started 6th grade this year and quite a few of his classmates (about 5) left after 5th grade and I met some of the new parents and they told me they had been on the list for 3 years! And they were so excited when they got the call.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM

23 posts, read 38,161 times
I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of spots open up after the private school admission letters come out on April 4th. I'm betting there are a lot of families using ACA as a "plan B" in case they don't get a spot at one of the private schools.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM

41 posts, read 80,495 times
Yes, it's true that a lot of Buckhead elementary schoolchildren are both in and on the waiting list. ACA has retained incredible leadership. The founder of Ridgeview Classical, the nationally ranked academy on which it is based, is coming to be the principal.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
It's really sad to hear of all of these parents having to sit on waitlists and hope... simply trying to get a good education for their children. The public school system needs to be wiped clean and we need to start over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is common that hundreds of kids are waitlisted at good charter schools. My son's school's waitlist is probably 3 years long and last I heard had about 300-400 kids on the waitlist. My son started 6th grade this year and quite a few of his classmates (about 5) left after 5th grade and I met some of the new parents and they told me they had been on the list for 3 years! And they were so excited when they got the call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: