Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,802 times

Advertisements

I'm not spending $4k on this unless there are good medical (and not cosmetic) reasons for getting braces. So I've asked the orthodontist to provide a written copy of his medical reasons for recommending braces.
My question is : what are the guidelines for recommending braces? In other words, under which circumstances would braces be recommended for non-cosmetic reasons? I'm looking for actual diagnostic terms so I can take that checklist to the orthodontist.

My son's teeth look close to perfect but I'm not an orthodontist. I'm not a sucker either. I might come off as defensive, but I'm just trying to make sure that there are justifiable reasons for spending a lot of money. It's like asking the baker: Do I really need your bread? I'm not expecting a non-biased opinion since they're making money off of it. So I'm trying to educate myself so that I can make a well-informed decision based on facts and not speculation.

If somebody could post a link to a site with non-biased, factual information it would be greatly appreciated. All I see when I google for info is orthodontist/dental websites praising braces. I'm looking for some educational information where reasons for getting braces are graded according to gravity. I'm sure some conditions are more likely (maybe even guaranteed) to cause problems later in life than other conditions. So what are the "serious conditions" which will cause problems later in life? And what are the less serious / cosmetic issues which may or may not cause minor issues ?

Orthodontics deals primarily with the diagnosis, prevention and correction of malpositioned teeth and the jaws. So I assume that there well-defined classifications and categories which are used when diagnosing and determining the need for braces.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
I think this belongs in a different forum since this topic isn't Atlanta-centric.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:16 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames2014 View Post
I'm not spending $4k on this unless there are good medical (and not cosmetic) reasons for getting braces. So I've asked the orthodontist to provide a written copy of his medical reasons for recommending braces.
My question is : what are the guidelines for recommending braces? In other words, under which circumstances would braces be recommended for non-cosmetic reasons? I'm looking for actual diagnostic terms so I can take that checklist to the orthodontist.

My son's teeth look close to perfect but I'm not an orthodontist. I'm not a sucker either. I might come off as defensive, but I'm just trying to make sure that there are justifiable reasons for spending a lot of money. It's like asking the baker: Do I really need your bread? I'm not expecting a non-biased opinion since they're making money off of it. So I'm trying to educate myself so that I can make a well-informed decision based on facts and not speculation.

If somebody could post a link to a site with non-biased, factual information it would be greatly appreciated. All I see when I google for info is orthodontist/dental websites praising braces. I'm looking for some educational information where reasons for getting braces are graded according to gravity. I'm sure some conditions are more likely (maybe even guaranteed) to cause problems later in life than other conditions. So what are the "serious conditions" which will cause problems later in life? And what are the less serious / cosmetic issues which may or may not cause minor issues ?

Orthodontics deals primarily with the diagnosis, prevention and correction of malpositioned teeth and the jaws. So I assume that there well-defined classifications and categories which are used when diagnosing and determining the need for braces.

Thank you.

I suggest you get a second opinion.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I would say it never makes sense to put braces on a 10 year old. Even if they stay on for 3 years, they'll come off at 13. You think a 13 year old can be counted on to wear a retainer? They'll just shift back.

NOTE: I'm not an orthodontist, but I do have common sense.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:30 PM

135 posts, read 88,568 times
I have a 10 year old and when she was 9 an orthodontist wanted to put braces on her. I did not feel comfortable b/c she had over a dozen baby teeth left, so I went to my orthodontist (who had put braces on me as an adult) and got a 2nd opinion. He was a bit more conservative and recommended waiting to put her in braces until all her baby teeth fell out which he estimated would be in 2 years. The reasons were overcrowding (her teeth are overlapping) and to correct her alignment and her jawline (he mentioned something about her palate). He is not pushy and he has a very successful business. The first ortho was young, just starting his business and wanting me to schedule my daughter ASAP. I did not feel comfortable putting braces on her when she is still a bit immature. I think it is your comfort level. The idea is phases - some orthos will tell you phase 1 is putting them in braces for less than a year than they put them back in braces a 2nd time however your insurance will only pay once. I am not sure what other reasons besides cosmetic but I imagine correcting an overbite and overcrowding teeth can help proper growth in the mouth. I don't plan to put them on my child for couple more years and you can get a free consultation until then. best of luck.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM

135 posts, read 88,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames2014 View Post

Thank you.

I have a 10 year old and when she was 9 an orthodontist wanted to put braces on her. I did not feel comfortable b/c she had over a dozen baby teeth left, so I got a 2nd opinion. The ortho I choose for my 2nd opinion was one I used for my own braces and is a bit more conservative and recommended waiting to put her in braces until all her baby teeth fell out which he estimated would be in 2 years. The reasons were overcrowding (her teeth are overlapping) and to correct her alignment and her jawline (he mentioned something about proper teeth alignment helps the jawbone grow properly or something. She also has an overbite). He is not pushy and he has a very successful business. The first ortho was young, just starting his business and wanting me to schedule my daughter ASAP. I did not feel comfortable putting braces on her when she is still a bit immature nor did I like his style so I declined. I think it is your comfort level. The idea is phases - some orthos will tell you phase 1 is putting them in braces for less than a year as young as age 7 or 8 (yes he wanted to put my other child in braces as well who was in 1st grade and I flatly said no) than they put them back in braces a 2nd time however your insurance will only pay once and the literature doesn't show benefits to either method so why endure this? I am not sure what other reasons besides cosmetic but I imagine correcting an overbite and overcrowding teeth can help proper growth in the mouth. I don't plan to put them on my child for couple more years and you can get a free consultation until then. best of luck.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:06 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
I always consult geographical based discussion forums when seeking medical second opinions.

You may find your methodology more concerning than the orthodontists. Maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: