Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Smyrna, ITP or OTP after it annexes something ITP?
OTP 14 50.00%
ITP 5 17.86%
Neither 2 7.14%
Whatever you'd call Sandy Springs 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times

Advertisements

With Smyrna poised to snatch some land ITP (it has annexed everything up to the perimeter except Spring Hill and West Village/Ivy Walk area), what would you call Smyrna once it makes its first ITP land grab (let's say it annexes the land for the former Pilot Station after the DOT tears it down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
the center of the town is still OTP, so i guess OTP. not in a snooty way, though. i guess it would be sort of like chamblee or doraville, which are definitely ITP but don't really feel like they're in the core.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
i don't dislike smyrna, cumberland, and vinings. those areas have already decided to be more invested in the city of atlanta as a whole. i'm just waiting for the rest of cobb county to stop playing games and join SE cobb in pitching in to make this a real metro area.

that's why it hurts so bad to see the braves move out there. the people running cobb don't want to have atlanta residents (presumably black people) to see the braves games, they want the braves all to themselves. they have this us vs. them attitude and they are proud that they took the braves from atlanta.

face it: the people in cumberland/vinings/smyrna didn't make the choice to move the braves there, it was a collusion of the conservative cobb leadership who still believes they are in competition with atlanta rather than being in the same boat. i'm sure the people in the area don't view getting the stadium as some kind of 'win' for themselves more than they see it as a relocation from another part of the metro.

if cobb was on board with atlanta and willing to work with, and not against, the rest of the metro, the braves moving to cobb might not be that big of a deal. but given the attitude the cobb leadership has, it makes it a big deal for a lot of people, including me.

i know that was kind of off topic, but i felt like it needed to be said. this is why ITP vs. OTP means a lot for people when it shouldn't.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
The term ATP - At The Perimeter has been used in recent years to describe Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Doraville etc

Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
With Smyrna poised to snatch some land ITP (it has annexed everything up to the perimeter except Spring Hill and West Village/Ivy Walk area), what would you call Smyrna once it makes its first ITP land grab (let's say it annexes the land for the former Pilot Station after the DOT tears it down).
I can't imagine why anything would change with the perception of whether Smyrna is OTP or ITP. All the areas you listed whether formally annexed or not are already considered Smyrna. I mean unless you actually live in it the areas or know someone well who does, there's no reason to think the land hasn't already been grabbed even where it apparently hasn't based on what you're saying. That Pilot Gas station just ITP on Atlanta Road as well as Log Cabin Drive just ITP already are in 30080 and considered to be in Smyrna.

I don't think annexing land that already has what I assume is called a Smyrna mailing address would change a thing since it was already assumed to be Smyrna in the first place.

Also, what would be the next land grab? I can't imagine 30339 giving up a thing, at least not the Vinings portion. Maybe Smyrna could work something out with the Cumberland part but what would be the motivation?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
ElleKaye - you are correct. Smyrna it is very unlikely Smyrna will ever annex outside of Cobb County. The only area inside the Perimeter is Vinings and currently all of those areas are switching over to a 30339 zip code and Atlanta mailing address.

Smyrna had the opportunity to annex Cumberland Mall in the 1980's - the Council members will tell you they totally missed that opportunity. That is not going to happen.

The only forced type of annexations that may exist is where you have pockets or islands of unincorporated areas that makes it very difficult for Cobb County to proved emergency and other services because it is surrounded by Smyrna, other than that the residents (or developer) must agree to be annexed.

There is not incentive for Cumberland/Vinings to do this. It won't change their school system and as others have noted, Cobb County is well run.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Like lori said,

Smyrna is ATP.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
ElleKaye - you are correct. Smyrna it is very unlikely Smyrna will ever annex outside of Cobb County. The only area inside the Perimeter is Vinings and currently all of those areas are switching over to a 30339 zip code and Atlanta mailing address.

Smyrna had the opportunity to annex Cumberland Mall in the 1980's - the Council members will tell you they totally missed that opportunity. That is not going to happen.

The only forced type of annexations that may exist is where you have pockets or islands of unincorporated areas that makes it very difficult for Cobb County to proved emergency and other services because it is surrounded by Smyrna, other than that the residents (or developer) must agree to be annexed.

There is not incentive for Cumberland/Vinings to do this. It won't change their school system and as others have noted, Cobb County is well run.
The parts ITP in Cobb between 285 and the Chattahoochee are already 30339 be they in Vinings or what is considered Cumberland. I didn't exactly get where the dividing line was when I was searching for places, but I did get the impression that it was almost seen as an abomination that any part of Smyrna called itself Vinings. As I understand it, the parts of Smyrna like on Spring Hill that are switching to 30339 were OTP, unincorporated, not grabbed, not annexed, or whatever descriptive terms to be used to describe their status in the first place.

It seems the parts ITP along Atlanta Road and perhaps South Cobb (although my search didn't extend that far so I'm not sure) should have had a different zip and considered Atlanta all the while but they don't and they aren't.

I didn't know about the Cumberland Mall thing of the 80s because I wasn't here but the thing I find odd is 30339 extending OTP and having areas formerly known as Marietta being called Atlanta.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Does this mean the new braves stadium will have a Smyrna postal code? I hope so, because allowing the Braves to use an Atlanta postal code, when they are clearing not in the city of Atlanta or a county that includes Atlanta.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Does this mean the new braves stadium will have a Smyrna postal code? I hope so, because allowing the Braves to use an Atlanta postal code, when they are clearing not in the city of Atlanta or a county that includes Atlanta.
I don't know, but that's irrelevant. Many areas close to city borders (any city) have that city as their address. Nearby Vinings goes by Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta