Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

463 posts, read 559,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
Here are your Food Stamp Super Hero's....Continued[/color]..
First everybody is complaining about food stamps going to soda and candy and other cheap crap. Now it's going to healthy (expensive) food, and people are still complaining.

When will you people just give it a rest with all the poor hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm open to seeing examples to the contrary. What useful piece of legislation/action has the Republican Party (particularly the state level even) introduced or helped with? By useful, I mean realistic suggestions or solutions to actual problems; the cost of healthcare, veterans benefits, the economy, job creation.
I really don't follow politics anymore, but here's an easy one. Medical marijuana. Yes it was watered down but it was a step in the right direction. But please don't ask me to sit here and defend republicans.

I just hate the subliminal thought expressed in your posts. The only problem is the other side right? Only my side is the one that is being reasonable, the other guys are just crazy! Why won't they just work with us? We have a plan right here and all they have to do is sign it. They just aren't willing to work with us. All they say is no!

Its all lies, deception.... just abuncha bullshi. Don't fall for it.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm glad they don't. If they are making it and healthy then DON'T! People that are capable should be uncomfortable so they strive for more. Bring on the hate train...

Sounds like they need to revamp the entire current system. There's no reason that gov benefits / aid has to be inefficient.

While on the topic of reforming the system, why are people allowed to purchase terrible terrible food with gov benefits? The first lady and other are working so hard to get people to live a healthier lifestyle, but you can buy completely unnecessary and unhealthy foods with your benefits. It's so incredibly counterproductive....

This should also RAPIDLY solve the problem of Food Deserts. As soon as you take away the ability to buy the CRAP they sell at all the convenience stores with EBT, you better believe they will be stocking the compliant foods.

You sound like Fox News. Poor people are more likely to stay poor, not strive for success. How are poor kids suppose to focus on school when they can't get a decent meal, can't get decent cloths, mother or father on drugs or absent. By the time they get to high school their minds are messed up. Only very few overcome.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
Here are your Food Stamp Super Hero's....

Hipsters on food stamps...They're young, they're broke and they pay for organic Salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that? by Jennifer Bleyer

Just wanted to say that that story is not indicative of even 10% of SNAP users. Most of them are single working parents and children. About 30% are elderly people.

Also, I agree with another poster who said that it seems those who hate food stamp users will complain about whatever they get with the benefit. If they buy junk, you are mad, now if they buy healthy organic produce you are mad.

What do you want them to buy?

And FWIW, I have an aunt who is 60 who is on SNAP. She is disabled as well and lives off about $800 a month in disability payments. She always buys good healthy food, including organic produce with her $135 a month of SNAP benefits. I'd rather she buy healthy than junk food. I am always happier to see a young mom use an EBT for organic milk and produce versus buying a cart full of Totinos pizzas and Hot Pockets (which I see often at the grocery store unfortunately). About 10 years ago after my son was born I got food stamps for 6 months. And I always used them for free range chickens and grass fed beef and very healthy meats. Food stamps are a supplement, I only made $8 an hour at the time so qualified for $165 a month in SNAP benefits and I bought all the rest of our groceries myself, but I never skimp on good food for my kids and they don't eat a bunch of cheap junk or hormonal laden dairy products either. I was on WIC as well when he was a baby and I never used the milk coupons because they wouldn't allow organic milk and I breastfed so never used the formula coupons either for that because I think formula is the cause of many of society's health ills, including being a contributing factor to childhood obesity and diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm open to seeing examples to the contrary. What useful piece of legislation/action has the Republican Party (particularly the state level even) introduced or helped with? By useful, I mean realistic suggestions or solutions to actual problems; the cost of healthcare, veterans benefits, the economy, job creation.
Since I work alongside government in procurement, I know that the previous governor, Purdue was instrumental in getting GA to finally take an inventory of state government owned property and of creating a way to dispose of unwanted property via auctions. To me this is something that is helpful to the entire state as it prevents theft and waste (when done correctly).

Job creation has also been at steady progress under the last couple of governors. I personally don't feel that people can legislate jobs so I don't see a way for the GOP here in GA to help in that sense. But under the previous governor there were programs put into place that helped long term unemployed Georgians via Workforce Development where the state DOL provided funds for people to go work for the unemployment benefits. My daughter's daycare had a worker who was provided by the DOL under this program and the worker really enjoyed seeing what childcare was about and decided to make that a career and is now fully employed in that sector. Also, the GOP governors have been very supportive of expanding HOPE to trade schools and increasing the rates that young people go into building trades. As a part of procurement, I perform project management for construction projects and there is a shortage nationally in certain areas, including GA of adequately trained tradesmen/women.

I will say though politically, I do thin the GOP here in GA is not all that...I can only say progressive. I don't feel they look at the big picture, like with this topic in ensuring that it is as easy as it needs to be for people to apply and re-certify for SNAP or recognizing that GA has a large impoverished or nearly impoverished population and that it would be of benefit to that large portion of the state's population for them to be able to get Medicaid under the ACA Medicaid expansion. I think they are way more polarizing here versus the republicans I knew and voted for in Ohio (I was an absentee voter there for many years and we had some excellent moderate republicans in Ohio in the late 90s and early 00s). And I also do think they could do more than they do and reform more areas of government here but they instead focus too much on talking points. Even this conversation, it gets people into debating the merits of those on foodstamps instead of understanding that the lack of speedy process in the application/recertification process will end up costing all GA tax payers. It is in the state's best interest to make the process more thorough and as quick as possible. The recent passing of "drug testing for foodstamps" is just another way to slow down the process even further and it is silly considering most people who use illegal drugs and who get food stamps know how to pass a "pee test" lol. I personally feel that the everyone in the state government should get a pee test too at random and lose their jobs if they don't pass.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I really don't follow politics anymore, but here's an easy one. Medical marijuana. Yes it was watered down but it was a step in the right direction. But please don't ask me to sit here and defend republicans.

I just hate the subliminal thought expressed in your posts. The only problem is the other side right? Only my side is the one that is being reasonable, the other guys are just crazy! Why won't they just work with us? We have a plan right here and all they have to do is sign it. They just aren't willing to work with us. All they say is no!

Its all lies, deception.... just abuncha bullshi. Don't fall for it.

If a tiny step towards the use of MM is your arguement, that just proves my point. I never said Dems were never wrong but in the grand scheme of awfulness, there is absolutely no competition. The modern day Republican party has lost its mind.

As long as Dems keep pushing for a minimum wage that addresses the last 30 years of inflation, keep pushing for womens' and gay rights, that's my team in the war for the lesser evil.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
USDA: Georgia food stamp drug test law violates federal policy

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...-violates.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta