Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why not work to improve bus reliability? And why worry about connections between neighborhoods? It's pretty rare that I need to get to another neighborhood.
Once built out, the Beltline and streetcar network will invariably lead to that. The bus routes in those districts with proposed LRT/streetcar lines also have the highest percentage of high frequency bus lines. With the rail lines in place, those bus routes can be reduced/eliminated...which would naturally lead to expanded and more frequent bus service in other parts of the city. Of course, one can't done before the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Why do you assume that everyone who doesn't share your opinion lives OTP? I live in central DeKalb, well inside 285. Not only that, but I like walking. However, I also like efficient uses of money and am not a blind worshipper at the light rail alter. People mostly stick in their neighborhoods except for working and heading to Buckhead to shop or maybe going out to dinner in Inman Park or Decatur or Buckhead. There are very few of those 242 neighborhoods that are destinations for anyone who doesn't live there.

And I like the Beltline. Just not light rail on it. The Inman Park to Piedmont Park section is quite pleasant now. Not nearly so much with trains. Its a pretty narrow right of way in that section.
Just because the neighborhoods are connected does not mean you cant go through a few to get to the ones that are more populated with people and commerce.

Im not sure where you live but I routinely leave my neighborhood to shop,visit friends,dine as well as stay withing my own neighborhood.
I live downtown but I have gone here just this week"

Castlberry Hill -eat at "Drink Art"
Edgwood Ave(han out at the bar "Church"
Reynoldstown-Shop at Edgwood Plaza and L5P
Buckhead-eat at the Rib Ranch,shop at Lenox
Cascade-Walmart,see friends,got tires from Tires Plus
Decatur-Farmers Market
East Point-See friends.
Piedmont Park-cookout with friends.

So the fact that the streetcar transforming the Edgewood area ad new business popping up along the streetcar route still is not worth it?

The streetcar is doing the same thing those TOD that MARTA started developing with Lindbergh and now other stations like King Memorial.

Even across downtown you can see new student housing and new business opening up.Many have stated to becasue of proximity to the streetcar and Beltline like the new All Star Grill Atlanta Braves resturant just anounced to open downtown.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't assume that. it's just that you have displayed a very OTP mindset by saying people intown don't go to other neighborhoods. That's a trait of people who live in places like Kennesaw. I know that from my experience living in Tucker. People in places like those are much more likely to get home from work and stay put. The fact is, intown people hop from neighborhood to neighborhood so often it's the norm, and connecting these places makes Atlanta a more attractive place to live. There are countless benefits on large and small scales that result from quality of life investments such as neighborhood connectivity.
He does not see that havng such an connection would almost guarantee that he and others would get out more and eperience the city.
This is what is so great about the best cities in the world.Anybody who has done travel outside of the U.S. could EASILY see this.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
He does not see that havng such an connection would almost guarantee that he and others would get out more and eperience the city.
This is what is so great about the best cities in the world.Anybody who has done travel outside of the U.S. could EASILY see this.
Once again the condescending attitude that so endears many ITP's to OTP's. You know nothing about me and assume I have never travelled outside the US because I don't agree with you. Sorry, Cabbagetown is not the left bank. When you make wrong assumptions about people you don't know, it just makes you look stupid.

2/3 of the metro population doesn't live in Fulton or DeKalb. Probably 1/3 of Fulton and DeKalb are OTP.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
I'm not surprised by his response. Reed has put several other things in front of more important issues (like fixing some of the issues with Atlanta Public Schools).

Irrelevant side note: Congratulations to Reed and his pregnant fiancé, Sarah-Elizabeth!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM
bu2

Quote:
There is no point in any of the above. You've never been on the Beltline if you think people with kids are sitting at home.

Dissing L5P? You should quit this topic now. You're flailing about hoping something you say will stick.
The point is some people like L5P, some people hate it and some people don't care. Just because you love it doesn't mean everyone does. I can see you want me to quit because you don't like hearing differing opinions. Isn't that what "exploring" the city is supposed to be about? Experiencing different things?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, please. I live in Buckhead and I'm all over the place: Midtown, Brookhaven, North Druid Hills, Morningside, Oak Grove, LaVista Park. That's just the last three days. It's pretty easy to cross intown neighborhoods over the course of a day.
How many of those would the beltline light rail take you to? Not Brookhaven, North Druid Hills, Oak Grove or LaVista Park.

It doesn't take people where they want to go.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
This just in...

People aren't clamoring for a big train station when two passenger trains pass through Atlanta each day.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
There are a lot of places MARTA rail should go but doesn't. Therefore, we are not "give(ing) way to much credence to rail connecting communities" as you claim.
Should go? Based on what metric? Your all-knowing judgement?

The market and the citizens of Atlanta have not deemed it important enough to expand.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Probably 1/3 of Fulton and DeKalb are OTP.
Just so everyone is aware. I have geeked out a bit recently and gotten a better handle on that figure.

It is about half. Just over 750,000 people ITP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta