Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 27,039 times

Advertisements

My older one started there in 4th grade and from the beginning - it has been great. The structure and the uniforms have given shape to her life and help organization and decision making easier. She doesn't mind the long days or the bus ride and can't imagine herself anywhere else. Our public high school is a good one and we asked her about moving for next year (she going to high school in the fall) and she looked at us like we were crazy. My middle child hates the bus rides, hates the long days and the uniforms. She likes the teachers and the classes and the school part and academically is doing great but socially has not found it that easy to find her people. She is a quirky kid and one that does to conform to social expectations. We were hoping that a school like Galloway would be a better fit for her personality wise

Last edited by clementine123; 04-06-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 48,357 times
My 3 yr old got rejected at Paideia.

However along with the rejection letter, Paideia sent a card asking if we would like to remain under consideration for the 2014-2015 school year.

Is this some sort of a waitlist or just a false hope/pity card? Any experiences or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Sorry to hear that. I think that is for a wait list. The word on this board is that you are supposed to communicate to the school, immediately, probably verbally and in writing, that the school is your first choice and you would definitely enroll there if your daughter was offered admission. This is apparently helpful towards any hope of getting off the wait list. At least that is the recommendation from members on this Board. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amslonewolf View Post
My 3 yr old got rejected at Paideia.

However along with the rejection letter, Paideia sent a card asking if we would like to remain under consideration for the 2014-2015 school year.

Is this some sort of a waitlist or just a false hope/pity card? Any experiences or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM

175 posts, read 203,378 times
We were wait listed mostly (Pace, Westminster, Trinity, Paideia) although Lovett rejected my kid. Woodward was our only acceptance. I thought of playing the waiting game until the last possible day (Paideia was our top choice but Woodward was a very close second) but decided our daughter should go to the school that first accepted her. Plus I can't WAIT for this to be over. We're really ready to embrace our new school and will put the deposit down at Woodward tomorrow. I heard applications were up quite a bit at all of the top tier private schools.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 AM

126 posts, read 287,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
We were wait listed mostly (Pace, Westminster, Trinity, Paideia) although Lovett rejected my kid. Woodward was our only acceptance. I thought of playing the waiting game until the last possible day (Paideia was our top choice but Woodward was a very close second) but decided our daughter should go to the school that first accepted her. Plus I can't WAIT for this to be over. We're really ready to embrace our new school and will put the deposit down at Woodward tomorrow. I heard applications were up quite a bit at all of the top tier private schools.
Chabang....what grade level were you applying for? WAs it an expansion year?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM

175 posts, read 203,378 times
No, we applied for 2nd grade for our daughter so not an expansion year. Westminster sent their average movement off their wait list to those of us that were wait listed. I realize that Westminster probably has the least movement off of their wait list since most people that apply to Westminster rank it #1. It seems that with older kids (at least 5th grade) there probably is a decent shot at getting off a waitlist but younger than that, I don't think so.

WESTMINSTER # OF STUDENTS ADMITTED OFF THE WAITLIST

'09 '10 '11 '12 '13 5 Year Average

PF 7 5 0 3 5 4
1st 2 2 2 1 4 2.2
2nd 3 1 1 1 3 1.8
3rd 1 1 0 1 2 1
4th 1 2 0 1 1 1
5th 5 7 5 5 5 5.4

6th 7 2 0 2 7 3.6
7th 7 4 0 1 4 3.2
8th 0 1 2 0 1 0.8

9th 4 2 5 4 4 3.8
10th 0 1 0 2 4 1.4
11th 4 2 2 1 2 2.2
12th 1 0 0 0 0 0.2

Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

69 posts, read 184,427 times
Chabang - thanks for providing. Those numbers certainly evidence how little movement there is off of Westminster's waitlist - even in expansion years. Would be interesting to compare to the other schools. Did the other schools provide similar data to their waitlisted families?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 43,565 times
We're waitlisted at Paideia, but accepted at Galloway, Friends School of Atlanta, and High Meadows in Roswell--for a rising 6th grade boy. Any chance of getting in to Paideia or should we choose from the other three options? I'm not convinced that Paideia is our first choice, but wondered if we should include it in our discussions or write it off completely.

We're moving in to the area, are not familiar with how the wait lists work, and are trying to make the best decision for our family as a whole, which includes the school our son will attend. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Well it would actually seem to depend on how many are waitlisted. If we are talking 10-20 waitlisted, 2 or 5 off the waitlist would mean a better chance than if 50 or 100 are waitlisted. Accordingly, the numbers Given by the school are not nearly as useful as they might appear without more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mom2Boys View Post
Chabang - thanks for providing. Those numbers certainly evidence how little movement there is off of Westminster's waitlist - even in expansion years. Would be interesting to compare to the other schools. Did the other schools provide similar data to their waitlisted families?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 PM

What IS your first choice then? That would probably be the first thing I'd try to gain clarity on. What is your son's first choice? He's almost a pre-teen so he probably has some idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrosina View Post
We're waitlisted at Paideia, but accepted at Galloway, Friends School of Atlanta, and High Meadows in Roswell--for a rising 6th grade boy. Any chance of getting in to Paideia or should we choose from the other three options? I'm not convinced that Paideia is our first choice, but wondered if we should include it in our discussions or write it off completely.

We're moving in to the area, are not familiar with how the wait lists work, and are trying to make the best decision for our family as a whole, which includes the school our son will attend. Any help is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta