Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,615 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in Peachtree City next month and am trying to get some realistic input about neighborhoods, commute, etc. I'm moving from San Diego so this is all foreign to me.

First, I'm a single 40 year old woman. I'm extremely active and play on several soccer teams. I love wine bars, trying new restaurants, etc. I looked up the stats on Peachtree City and it's 70% married, which doesn't bode well for a single woman. I also know it's full of chain restaurants, which really aren't my thing.

So I'm thinking of looking for places to live in Atlanta that wouldn't be too horrible of a commute. I'd love to get some insight as to how long a morning commute to PTC would be, and the evening commute back to ATL. Would this be worth it for what I'm looking for?

I'm looking for an urban-ish neighborhood in the sense that I'd like restaurants/bars within walking distance ; something conducive to meeting people. I'd probably like to live in a highrise or a cool, renovated historic building. I'd like to keep it under 2k per month. I've heard a little bit about Cabbagetown, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward...

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Unless you lived significantly north of Atlanta, you would have almost a reverse (read: speed limit) commute down to Peachtree City. The amount of local traffic would vary. Decatur might be a good option if you live near the town center (for your walkability requirement), the commute wouldn't be too bad, a bit of traffic right at I-75/I-85 from I-20 but most of it is going north, so once you're through the mile-long backup, you should be good to go. You also have access to Downtown and Midtown via MARTA rail service right through the center of Decatur. The other neighborhoods you list I can't say much about, I'll leave that to this forum's in-town experts.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
PTC can be quite the boring place to live if you're not raising kids. I would definitely look elsewhere, particularly inside the perimeter (I-285)

Get used to chain restaurants though, they heavily outweigh mom and pop type establishments in and around ATL (especially the burbs)

Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSoccerChick View Post
I'm starting a new job in Peachtree City next month and am trying to get some realistic input about neighborhoods, commute, etc. I'm moving from San Diego so this is all foreign to me.

First, I'm a single 40 year old woman. I'm extremely active and play on several soccer teams. I love wine bars, trying new restaurants, etc. I looked up the stats on Peachtree City and it's 70% married, which doesn't bode well for a single woman. I also know it's full of chain restaurants, which really aren't my thing.

So I'm thinking of looking for places to live in Atlanta that wouldn't be too horrible of a commute. I'd love to get some insight as to how long a morning commute to PTC would be, and the evening commute back to ATL. Would this be worth it for what I'm looking for?

I'm looking for an urban-ish neighborhood in the sense that I'd like restaurants/bars within walking distance ; something conducive to meeting people. I'd probably like to live in a highrise or a cool, renovated historic building. I'd like to keep it under 2k per month. I've heard a little bit about Cabbagetown, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward...

Cabbagetown, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward and (as MattCW recommended) Decatur are all excellent places to look.

In addition to those great Intown neighborhoods, you should also add to your list other great Intown areas like Virginia Highland, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park/Little Five Points, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village and Glenwood Park.

You could also look in areas north of Downtown and on the near-Northside like MIDTOWN, West Midtown/Marietta Street/Howell Mill Road area, SoNo (South of North Avenue on the near-Northside of Downtown) and Atlantic Station.

A reverse-commute between Intown Atlanta and Peachtree City would likely take about 45 minutes or so each way everyday, depending on exactly where in Intown Atlanta you would be living.

If you live above (or north of) the I-20, you would likely be good to give yourself about an hour to get to Peachtree City every morning.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:

You really need to check out PTC for yourself. It is not your average suburb by any means. They have a healthy group of locally owned quality restaurants. They have wine bars . If you are an active person, PTC is quite likely a much better choice for you than intown as there are TONS of athletic amenities and 70+ miles of trails that meander through the woods that can get you anywhere in the city. Soccer seems to be really big there too.

Check it out for yourself, it is not a suburb as you think of it.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
You really need to check out PTC for yourself. It is not your average suburb by any means. They have a healthy group of locally owned quality restaurants. They have wine bars . If you are an active person, PTC is quite likely a much better choice for you than intown as there are TONS of athletic amenities and 70+ miles of trails that meander through the woods that can get you anywhere in the city. Soccer seems to be really big there too.

Check it out for yourself, it is not a suburb as you think of it.
^^^ THIS! At the very least, you should get a place in PTC first and check out what living AND working is like there before making a decision so radical as a reverse commute. I can't imagine moving all the way across country to a new place I know nothing about and putting myself in such an extreme commuting situation:

And Tiki is right -- there are many nice local restaurants / bars etc in PTC and a very active healthy adult lifestyle. It is not the cultural and social wasteland that some on here make it out to be.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,615 times
Thanks for the input thus far. Born 2 Roll---I'm going to check out those areas you mentioned. Tiki and Newsboy--I was in PTC for training a few years ago for two weeks (minus a car) so I got semi-familiarized. It does seem like an active community, but there's only one adult soccer league that's 7 v 7 and not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think it's a social wasteland, but coming from San Diego, it's certainly a switch. I think I might get my temporary housing in Atlanta so I can get a feel for the commute before I pull the trigger on renting a place. One of the other hindrances of PTC is that I'm a vegetarian and I felt really limited with dining options there other than some second-rate Thai food. And I don't believe there is a Whole Foods nearby where I can buy my vegetarian grocery options. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
As far as I know, there is no whole foods in fayette county.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
And I don't believe there is a Whole Foods nearby where I can buy my vegetarian grocery options. Or am I wrong?
There is a Fresh Market (not as good, I know) and a farmers market on Saturdays. I wouldn't be surprised if a Sprouts moves in sometime soon, there is a lot of demand for specialty grocery. The Kroger's in PTC are of the nicer variety and have plenty of vegetarian options, my wife did it down there and never complained.

But if you are moving anywhere in the Atlanta metro, don't miss out of Your Dekalb Farmers Market. Whole Foods is a joke compared to the vegi options available there. North of Atlanta also has the Buford Hwy Farmers Market with even more variety/international options. Independent farmers markets are becoming quite common in neighborhoods around the metro (Saturdays and Sundays).

If you want a more urban environment, check out Historic College Park. I commute from there to North Fayette every day and doing a reverse commute down I85 is a total breeze. We having some great restaurants/pubs right in the area. They are opening up a independent full time organic market right near the Brake Pad in College Park. I can get to North Fayette in about 20 minutes, downtown in 10, Atlantic Station / Piedmont Park in 15. But it isn't for everyone. How much you enjoy it here will depend greatly on which street you live on. Close to Rugby Ave are generally the best areas.

Grant Park is closer to town and is a great option. There are some backroads you can easily use to get on 75/85 south from that area. Expect commutes to be about 45 min to an hour. Especially if your workplace is south of the 74/54 intersection in PTC.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
You also might want to check out Serenbe as a place to live . It is really unique area to live in the area too .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta