Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,174 times

Advertisements

I must urge.. nay, BEG each and every one of you to NEVER consider this school.

I've attended it long enough to realize I need to get the HELL out. A single quarter will cost you at least $5,000 to take THREE classes.

The instructors are incomprehensibly incompetent, the tuition is outrageously expensive and the school spits in the face of students when they need their help!

The "dorms" are a JOKE. MetroPointe needs to be EXPOSED for the lies and shady dealings with AiA. The admissions advisors say it's like an 'apartment' and that it's VERY nice.

WRONG.

It's more like a New York City style projects, absolutely scary place, run down to hell.. and did I mention it's about a thousand dollars a month? On top of all that you SHARE the room with FOUR other people.

This is just the surface.. really.

As much as I tried to ignore the fact.. this place is a "tv college", just like ITT Tech, DeVry and Westwood College. They'll let ANYONE in who can pay the tuition with student loans.. and yes, there WILL be student loans.. for the rest of your life.

The Art Institutes are a FOR PROFIT COMPANY, they just want your money. If you just so happen to get an education in the process.. cool for them.

There is just SO MUCH wrong with this school and SO LITTLE time to uncover it all.

I'm so very glad I'm leaving..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Wow, doesn't sound like the place has changed any in 20 or so years. LOL

Hey, I moved to Atlanta wayyyyy back in 1984 when I was 18 to attend the Art Institute (it was across the street from Lenox Square back then). Back then they had a habit of sending reps to smaller cities and picking "talented kids" and coax them to one of their school locations. I submitted a portfolio and got accepted. Even back then tuition was incredibly high and went up with each quarter.

Upon beginning, I quickly realized not all kids even had to submit work to get admitted. We had kids in my figure drawing class drawing people who were barely beyond stick figures. Kids in the photography course were telling me that some kids were asking questions as though they had never held a camera before. It became apparent quickly that as long as mommy and daddy had enough in their checking account, their kids got in the school, and "talent" had nothing to do with it.

Likewise, our "professional teachers" were out of date. One of my teachers bragged about having work published in Life Magazine - until one of the students found out that his last published work was in the late 1960s Likewise, most of my instructors at the time hadn't done any "pro" work in years, if not decades.

Our student housing was on Briarcliff Road in Brookhaven. They shoved 4 students into a 2BR 1.5BA townhouse and charged each of us $250 a month (remember, this was 1984 - $1000 a month for each unit they made). They did nothing to try to match up good roomies - the guy who I had to share a bedroom with had a very unnatural facination with Michael Jackson, and had posters of him taped literally to every single square inch of the walls and ceiling of his half of the room. One of the guys in the other BR was from DC and had a prison record. Yay.

We were rarely told what supplies we'd need for the next class, until we showed up for class early, and then given a list. We of course couldn't shop around and had to buy the stuff from the student store which charged 50% or more higher prices than other art shops.

Finally, I decided to check into the "guaranteed job placement" they had at least at that time, and upon calling some agencies, I was met with laughter and people saying, "Man, who HASN'T gone to the Art Institute??". I lasted 9 months (8 months longer than I should have) before finally dropping it.

So if anyone is considering them, it sure doesn't sound like they've changed much and I'd save your money. The Savannah College of Art however, has excellent ratings from students. They have their main place of course in Savannah, but I do think there's also a branch here in Atlanta now, too.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 23,174 times
Yeah, it's kind of always been that way..

I had high hopes when a friend of mine was telling me about how he had to a performance piece to get in.. and another friend told me how she had to submit a portfolio to get in.

I kind of knew something was up when they didn't even bother to ask ME if I knew what a camera was.

My 3 months at AiA has been a horrific experience that I regret very much.. to the tune of a $6,000 student loan. It has been the worst mistake I've made in my 19 years.

I just hope my mom doesn't realize the mistake I made, because she truly stood by me and had all the faith in the world I was making the right decision by going.

I'll hopefully pay off the loan in ample time and just move on with my life.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,092 times
I'll echo what was said about SCAD...even in Atlanta. If you want to go to a reputable school, SCAD-Atlanta is the best way to go.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 19,422 times
Default graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Wow, doesn't sound like the place has changed any in 20 or so years. LOL

Hey, I moved to Atlanta wayyyyy back in 1984 when I was 18 to attend the Art Institute (it was across the street from Lenox Square back then). Back then they had a habit of sending reps to smaller cities and picking "talented kids" and coax them to one of their school locations. I submitted a portfolio and got accepted. Even back then tuition was incredibly high and went up with each quarter.

Upon beginning, I quickly realized not all kids even had to submit work to get admitted. We had kids in my figure drawing class drawing people who were barely beyond stick figures. Kids in the photography course were telling me that some kids were asking questions as though they had never held a camera before. It became apparent quickly that as long as mommy and daddy had enough in their checking account, their kids got in the school, and "talent" had nothing to do with it.

Likewise, our "professional teachers" were out of date. One of my teachers bragged about having work published in Life Magazine - until one of the students found out that his last published work was in the late 1960s Likewise, most of my instructors at the time hadn't done any "pro" work in years, if not decades.

Our student housing was on Briarcliff Road in Brookhaven. They shoved 4 students into a 2BR 1.5BA townhouse and charged each of us $250 a month (remember, this was 1984 - $1000 a month for each unit they made). They did nothing to try to match up good roomies - the guy who I had to share a bedroom with had a very unnatural facination with Michael Jackson, and had posters of him taped literally to every single square inch of the walls and ceiling of his half of the room. One of the guys in the other BR was from DC and had a prison record. Yay.

We were rarely told what supplies we'd need for the next class, until we showed up for class early, and then given a list. We of course couldn't shop around and had to buy the stuff from the student store which charged 50% or more higher prices than other art shops.

Finally, I decided to check into the "guaranteed job placement" they had at least at that time, and upon calling some agencies, I was met with laughter and people saying, "Man, who HASN'T gone to the Art Institute??". I lasted 9 months (8 months longer than I should have) before finally dropping it.

So if anyone is considering them, it sure doesn't sound like they've changed much and I'd save your money. The Savannah College of Art however, has excellent ratings from students. They have their main place of course in Savannah, but I do think there's also a branch here in Atlanta now, too.
Hi, I went to AIA back in the mid 80's. My dorm was Amber Lake Apartments. I understand they are gone now. Lots of fun Party all the time but graduated with a 87 grade average. Don't know how

Old 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 19,422 times
Red face 1982 AIA grad

Hi, I went to AIA back in the mid 80's. My dorm was Amber Lake Apartments. I understand they are gone now. Lots of fun Party all the time but graduated with a 87 grade average. Don't know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta