Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times

Advertisements

Back to PolyB pipes - I had neighbors that kept deferring the repairs saying they would "monitor" the problem and replace them when absolutely necessary. This was dangerous.

I was lucky and had two very small leaks that appeared as wet spots in the ceiling. Never any gushing water. But I had a neighbor that had a major break that ended up with flooding. Her repair was 2x as expensive as mine since she had to deal with an emergency situation, did not have time to get bids/quotes and of course the internal water damage.

I highly recommend Delta Mechanical - most of my neighbors used them - they specialize in these type of repairs. They are not a full service plumber and they take care of all the wall repairs and repainting. Everything except wallpaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,184 times
Wow, I was initially excited about the Afton Downs suggestion, but after the posts progressed, now I'm confused! Anyway, thanks everyone for the website links, I'll check them out.

Thanks @jsvh, maybe I should give the city another look. Are the property taxes in Fulton County much more expensive than Cobb??

Old 04-12-2014, 02:09 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
Quote:
just so we're clear, that you don't get to tell people what to do or say.
Maybe you should actually read posts before responding. I didn't tell anyone what to do or say. Period.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Wow, I was initially excited about the Afton Downs suggestion, but after the posts progressed, now I'm confused! Anyway, thanks everyone for the website links, I'll check them out.

Thanks @jsvh, maybe I should give the city another look. Are the property taxes in Fulton County much more expensive than Cobb??
Don't let PolyB pipes scare you off - I would be quite surprised if there are that many left in any units. If by chance you find one that has it - just get it repaired before you move in. It takes about 1 week and the plummers are in and out with barely a sign they were ever there.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
I'll be moving back home to Atlanta at the end of this year/beginning of next year from North Carolina. I initially thought I wanted to purchase a condo inside the perimeter, (like, I was SO sure, because I wanted an Atlanta address) but now I've decided I want a little more space and privacy, so I've decided to go for a townhouse. I KNOW I cannot afford to buy a townhouse in the city, so my next choice is the Smyrna (preferably close to Vinings) area.

I'll be starting a food business from home as well, which is another reason for the decision to go with a townhouse. I also don't want to deal with HOA fees and city parking issues. I currently live in an apartment, and I'm tired of hearing people, and essentially a condo is an apartment that you buy. I'm over hearing my neighbors!

I've been looking online for townhouses in Smyrna, and it's like every week, I just keep seeing the same tired, little handful of listings! There HAS to be more town home communities in Smyrna than I'm seeing online. Maybe it's the budget numbers I'm entering, I don't know. I really want something that has solid bones, but needs some cosmetic updates; a wall or two knocked out, some paint, new hardwoods, you know....Being out of town makes the search even more challenging, and I only come home like 4 times a year.

No place I buy will be what I want. I am quite particular, and with starting a food business, I need a VERY specific layout and design for the kitchen and lots and lots of storage, and a myriad of other requirements. Because of this, it makes no sense to buy new, and rip out brand new finishes because they don't work for what I'm trying to do. So I need a fixer; maybe a short sale, foreclosure, or very motivated sellers. My budget is 70K-110K. I don't want to put more than 45K into it to get it like I need it to be. A garage would be great too for storage, and not a crappy or borderline crappy neighborhood.

I suspect wanting to be in the Vinings area of Smyrna is unrealistic with my budget, and I can accept that. I'm just trying to figure out if you guys know of any agents or websites that specialize or showcase Smyrna area town homes??
Thanks!
Because Smyrna is kind of a hot very close-in OTP suburban/post-suburban area that is on the rise with young professionals (and real estate investors), it could potentially be kind of difficult to find exactly what you are looking for in your price range.

Decent townhomes can possibly be found for near that price range in the Smyrna area, but getting one with a garage will likely be completely out of the question.

Another problem is that $110k may likely be kind of low for almost any type of real estate purchase in that area at this point. Because of this you may need to likely think seriously about renting a townhome because most (but not all) of the good deals in the Smyrna area have been purchased by real estate investors and young professionals at this point.

Real estate investors who have made home purchases are sitting on them until the market goes back up to a point where they will sell them off and make a healthy profit. Many investors are renting-out the homes they own while some are not.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Maybe you should actually read posts before responding. I didn't tell anyone what to do or say. Period.
Maybe you should be in anger management.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
Quote:
Maybe you should be in anger management.
I try my best to help, but I can't help all of the angry people on this forum.... especially when they simply refuse to read. Don't get worked up about a forum. Just read posts instead of putting words into them.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Because Smyrna is kind of a hot very close-in OTP suburban/post-suburban area that is on the rise with young professionals (and real estate investors), it could potentially be kind of difficult to find exactly what you are looking for in your price range.

Decent townhomes can possibly be found for near that price range in the Smyrna area, but getting one with a garage will likely be completely out of the question.

Another problem is that $110k may likely be kind of low for almost any type of real estate purchase in that area at this point. Because of this you may need to likely think seriously about renting a townhome because most (but not all) of the good deals in the Smyrna area have been purchased by real estate investors and young professionals at this point.

Real estate investors who have made home purchases are sitting on them until the market goes back up to a point where they will sell them off and make a healthy profit. Many investors are renting-out the homes they own while some are not.
Wow, that's good to know; guess I'm a little late to the game. The only reason I wanted something at 110K, was so I could fix it up to my specs, but I see what you're saying about the investor situation. I'll have to rethink if I really want to rent again or not. I kinda wanted to own so I could do just about what I wanted for my food business without a landlord dictating. Oh well, let me regroup. Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not worked up. I'm thinking you might need the most help though. You feel comfortable with the bold above yet pretty much everything you type is an imperative sentence. I am again stating that you don't get to tell anyone what to do or say. Concentrate, you'll get it eventually.

Quote:
I try my best to help, but I can't help all of the angry people on this forum.... especially when they simply refuse to read. Don't get worked up about a forum. Just read posts instead of putting words into them.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Wow, that's good to know; guess I'm a little late to the game. The only reason I wanted something at 110K, was so I could fix it up to my specs, but I see what you're saying about the investor situation. I'll have to rethink if I really want to rent again or not. I kinda wanted to own so I could do just about what I wanted for my food business without a landlord dictating. Oh well, let me regroup. Thanks a bunch.
You may not necessarily be as late to the game as you think. Here is a link to about 43 townhome/condo listings for sale for $110k and under in the Smyrna area (I even found a few with garages, scroll down and through them and see if you can find anything that you like):
CONDOATLANTA SEARCH ENGINE : Search Results : Smyrna

Here in particular is a link to a listing for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with a garage for $90,000 in Smyrna:
CONDOATLANTA SEARCH ENGINE : Smyrna GA 30082, Cobb Co., MLS 5242807=

I hope these links are of some assistance to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta