Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,390,781 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving back home to Atlanta at the end of this year/beginning of next year from North Carolina. I initially thought I wanted to purchase a condo inside the perimeter, (like, I was SO sure, because I wanted an Atlanta address) but now I've decided I want a little more space and privacy, so I've decided to go for a townhouse. I KNOW I cannot afford to buy a townhouse in the city, so my next choice is the Smyrna (preferably close to Vinings) area.

I'll be starting a food business from home as well, which is another reason for the decision to go with a townhouse. I also don't want to deal with HOA fees and city parking issues. I currently live in an apartment, and I'm tired of hearing people, and essentially a condo is an apartment that you buy. I'm over hearing my neighbors!

I've been looking online for townhouses in Smyrna, and it's like every week, I just keep seeing the same tired, little handful of listings! There HAS to be more town home communities in Smyrna than I'm seeing online. Maybe it's the budget numbers I'm entering, I don't know. I really want something that has solid bones, but needs some cosmetic updates; a wall or two knocked out, some paint, new hardwoods, you know....Being out of town makes the search even more challenging, and I only come home like 4 times a year.

No place I buy will be what I want. I am quite particular, and with starting a food business, I need a VERY specific layout and design for the kitchen and lots and lots of storage, and a myriad of other requirements. Because of this, it makes no sense to buy new, and rip out brand new finishes because they don't work for what I'm trying to do. So I need a fixer; maybe a short sale, foreclosure, or very motivated sellers. My budget is 70K-110K. I don't want to put more than 45K into it to get it like I need it to be. A garage would be great too for storage, and not a crappy or borderline crappy neighborhood.

I suspect wanting to be in the Vinings area of Smyrna is unrealistic with my budget, and I can accept that. I'm just trying to figure out if you guys know of any agents or websites that specialize or showcase Smyrna area town homes??
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,410 times
Most foreclosure town homes in that area have been snatched up - in my neighborhood at the absolute lowest you could have gotten in at that price but today, the worst homes are going for 180,000 and selling in 3 weeks.

If you don't want a HOA, you will need to look at the older communities - most of them are off of Spring Road.

Look at Fallingwater Drive or Afton Way

I recommend the following website to do your research:

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Metro Atlanta Area Real Estate

Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,795,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Most foreclosure town homes in that area have been snatched up - in my neighborhood at the absolute lowest you could have gotten in at that price but today, the worst homes are going for 180,000 and selling in 3 weeks.

If you don't want a HOA, you will need to look at the older communities - most of them are off of Spring Road.

Look at Fallingwater Drive or Afton Way

I recommend the following website to do your research:

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Metro Atlanta Area Real Estate
Afton Downs is a great neighborhood. Everyone is friendly; some a little too friendly aka nosy. There's a problem with the pipes though. This means you could come home to a flooded garage from someone else's townhouse. Apparently their HOA (yes, there is one) missed the deadline for a class action lawsuit for leaky copper pipes so the individual owners have to replace them themselves. Some have and some haven't so at a minimum inquire if your neighbors on both sides have replaced theirs.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Afton Downs is a great neighborhood. Everyone is friendly; some a little too friendly aka nosy. There's a problem with the pipes though. This means you could come home to a flooded garage from someone else's townhouse. Apparently their HOA (yes, there is one) missed the deadline for a class action lawsuit for leaky copper pipes so the individual owners have to replace them themselves. Some have and some haven't so at a minimum inquire if your neighbors on both sides have replaced theirs.
Is it copper pipes that are the problem or polybutylene? My townhome was built in the same era as Afton Downs and the issue is PolyB pipes but I believe all if not most of our homes have been repiped by now - expect $4000-$5000. The class action lawsuit ran out on that many years ago. Also, it was not like they could just do a lawsuit for the entire neighborhood. It was house by house and you had to have documented 2 known breaks qualify. Almost all of my neighbors did not have their first break until years after the money was all gone. Many of us replaced the pipes at that point not waiting for a break.

FWI - the house next to me only replaced the pipes a couple of years ago and after they had at least one major break. What amazed me was that the house had sold twice since the break and no one made repairing the pipes a sale condition along the way.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
That was the issue. I wouldn't make general comments to "worry about flooding"

It's a great neighborhood and worth checking out.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Is it copper pipes that are the problem or polybutylene? My townhome was built in the same era as Afton Downs and the issue is PolyB pipes but I believe all if not most of our homes have been repiped by now - expect $4000-$5000. The class action lawsuit ran out on that many years ago. Also, it was not like they could just do a lawsuit for the entire neighborhood. It was house by house and you had to have documented 2 known breaks qualify. Almost all of my neighbors did not have their first break until years after the money was all gone. Many of us replaced the pipes at that point not waiting for a break.

FWI - the house next to me only replaced the pipes a couple of years ago and after they had at least one major break. What amazed me was that the house had sold twice since the break and no one made repairing the pipes a sale condition along the way.
I'm sure it's the PolyB as you said. I just remember it was pipes and copper was the first thing that came to mind as that several floodings was how I found out how neighborly the community is as in people being on a first name basis. I dated someone who lives there and his neighbor to the left flooded out the next neighbor to the left, but a retired neighbor two townhouses to the right who grills a lot contacted both of them at work to let them know what was happening when he saw water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That was the issue. I wouldn't make general comments to "worry about flooding"

It's a great neighborhood and worth checking out.
What is "that"? Aside from my saying the pipes were copper, how does this dispute anything I said? Also, she wasn't speaking about Afton Downs but the community she lives in. Are you thinking you're supposed to tell people what to say? When you find who made the general comment "worry about flooding", quote it and don't just slap some quotation marks around your intepretatiion of it.

Back to LoriLove though, people like JoeP are probably one reason why "the house that had sold twice since the break and no one made repairing the pipes a sales condition along the way". God forbid, you give someone some insider knowledge; just lead them blindly and blow sunshine their way with omission of anything helpful if it tends to be negative.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
Quote:
What is "that"? Aside from my saying the pipes were copper, how does this dispute anything I said? Also, she wasn't speaking about Afton Downs but the community she lives in. Are you thinking you're supposed to tell people what to say? When you find who made the general comment "worry about flooding", quote it and don't just slap some quotation marks around your intepretatiion of it.
I wasn't disputing. Obviously you are worked about something different than the point of my comments, but I don't think it's going to be clarified based on your response above. Also drop the straw men.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,804,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I KNOW I cannot afford to buy a townhouse in the city
FYI - There are many places in the city that are less expensive than those in the links above including some single family homes that will give you even more privacy than a townhome.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I wasn't disputing. Obviously you are worked about something different than the point of my comments, but I don't think it's going to be clarified based on your response above. Also drop the straw men.
I didn't say you were disputing. I said you were responding to wherever you thought you saw "that". You post was vague so when you aren't specific, then to expect to take what you get. I also said in response to you, just so we're clear, that you don't get to tell people what to do or say. You can do it, but that doesn't meant it's going to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta