Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I took some pics driving about the Dallas area to illustrate that Dallas is not brown or not all brown and has hills.
Dallas is a durn nice place. I like it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dallas is a durn nice place. I like it a lot.
Yes it is.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Afonega1,

I took some pics driving about the Dallas area to illustrate that Dallas is not brown or not all brown and has hills. Yes some places are open and flat like Las Colinas but for the most part, it's pretty green and a lot more hilly than one would think here.

These pictures were taken from I-20 E going through Grand Prairie, Dallas, Duncanville and on the ground in Lancaster. The areas from I-20 at the Dallas City Limit that were really hilly and green I couldn't get because my phone died out. Some of these are a little grainy because I took them at sunset with my cell phone. I'll post more later that are not mostly from the road.

All of these were taken last night except one or two that were taken the evening before. I took more pictures, I just didn't post them all. A lot of DFW is just as green as Atlanta. It is VERY green here.
With all due respect, I wouldn't call any of those photos "hilly" or particularly green, especially compared to Metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

And while we're sharing photos, I just took this one in Fayette County a few minutes ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta: An Outsiders Perspective-image.jpg  

Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
With all due respect, I wouldn't call any of those photos "hilly" or particularly green, especially compared to Metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

And while we're sharing photos, I just took this one in Fayette County a few minutes ago:
Some of you want to split hairs over the silliest things. This isn't a debate or contest or a for me. I simply wanted to clear up the misinformation that Dallas is brown (which it absolutely is not) and all flat. The pictures don't do justice as to how green and hilly it truly is here. You don't live here, I do and it's very green in Dallas and the metro. You saying it isn't doesn't change that.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
I've written here once before on this thread but I'm back again because I'm still amazed at how this thread about Atlanta from an outsider's point of view has devolved almost purely an Atlanta vs. Dallas thread.
I hate to be rude but this is not a Dallas thread & we are not in the city vs. thread subforum area where something like this would be more commonly found as a topic.
I just do not understand the tendency of Texans to get all over threads all across the forum in efforts to try to convince us that it is a great place. This sort of thing is so totally commonplace that it's annoying.
Note what Westhou from Houston wrote today on the city vs. city thread that dealt with new 2013 population estimates.

It didn't take long for this to become a Houston thread. Now I get why people get so annoyed with us on here. When these kind of numbers are released we are so quick to start bragging and comparing ourselves to Chicago. You really should have known people would start bashing us about annexation and city limit size if you start talking about us passing up Chicago. In this case I think the Houston bashing is justified because we certainly baited it.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Buckhead socialites walking down West Paces Ferry?! LOL! What planet are you from?
Well I saw a bunch of people walking and jogging along Peachtree one day last summer. Think it was July 4th. Must have been 60,000 of them!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its true.You see people walking around in those neighborhoods all day.

But I still cant see them putting sidewalks on those streets.There is still never a large amounts of people that use a sidewalk in large numbers at one time.
To many other critical areas of the city that need them and that is what I more concerned about.

In that regard Buckhead is a lot better than it use to be and seems to be getting better as there has been a conserted effort to make the commercial areas of Buckhead more pedestrian friendly and it is.

Sidewalks are safer but those side streets are so wide and not a lot of traffic.Sorry but I see it as a waste of money that could better be spent elsewhere.
Totally disagree with your last point. It is a safety issue on all those side streets. Now maybe its not the highest priority, but it should be on the list.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I've written here once before on this thread but I'm back again because I'm still amazed at how this thread about Atlanta from an outsider's point of view has devolved almost purely an Atlanta vs. Dallas thread.
I hate to be rude but this is not a Dallas thread & we are not in the city vs. thread subforum area where something like this would be more commonly found as a topic.
I just do not understand the tendency of Texans to get all over threads all across the forum in efforts to try to convince us that it is a great place. This sort of thing is so totally commonplace that it's annoying.
Note what Westhou from Houston wrote today on the city vs. city thread that dealt with new 2013 population estimates.

It didn't take long for this to become a Houston thread. Now I get why people get so annoyed with us on here. When these kind of numbers are released we are so quick to start bragging and comparing ourselves to Chicago. You really should have known people would start bashing us about annexation and city limit size if you start talking about us passing up Chicago. In this case I think the Houston bashing is justified because we certainly baited it.

Well what happens is often that Atlanta people on this forum want to deny what Atlanta is. There's good and bad. And some of what they want to deny (like Sprawl) has some good points (see Sprawl is good for you thread). The Dallas/Houston/Charlotte comparisons all had to do with that denial.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
No @ 9:54, it's nothing to do with denial by Atlantans.
My larger point is that no matter the topic, if Atlanta's pros or cons are being discussed, somehow something about this city or that city in Texas gets brought into the discussion & sooner than later, that is the excuse or cue for it to devolve into an Atlanta vs. this Texas city or that Texas city thread. In other words, it largely gets taken over & becomes a comparison with places in Texas.
That is absolutely unnecessary & it's found all over the forum as for example Dallas/Houston/Austin vs. LA, or vs. SF, or vs. Chicago... you name the city. So it's not just because of "denial" by Atlantans as was written here @ 9:54.
Note my quote above from Westhou out of Houston in my post @ 9:36. He totally nails the habit of Texans to take over threads.
It is an annoying habit that does not help Texans to win any beauty congeniality contests.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Some of you want to split hairs over the silliest things. This isn't a debate or contest or a for me. I simply wanted to clear up the misinformation that Dallas is brown (which it absolutely is not) and all flat. The pictures don't do justice as to how green and hilly it truly is here. You don't live here, I do and it's very green in Dallas and the metro. You saying it isn't doesn't change that.
If you want to talk about splitting hairs, why are YOU posting photos of Dallas freeways that you took from your car? It's as ludicrous as if I went to some random Dallas thread and posted a bunch of pics from Atlanta.

The ONLY thing that matters is this, as quoted by the OP on page 1:

Atlanta is a BEAUTIFUL city! It is lush, green, and hilly. Its one of the most beautiful cities in the US. I see a lot of people in the city vs. city forums trying to argue that cities like Houston or Chicago are prettier. They've lost their minds!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta