Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ... my point was ... walking around being afraid of an entire race of people based on the actions of a few is stupid ... and racist.

Get it?

And I'll repeat my original point: A black person saying they're uncomfortable around "white people" because a few dozen MIGHT be members of the KKK is pretty stupid, just as a white person being afraid of black people. Both situations are racist.

If there was a history of black people lynching white people would you say its stupid then?

Learn the meaning ofthe word racist:

rac·ist
ˈrāsist/Submit
noun
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

No where have I ever said that or inferred that.

Last edited by afonega1; 04-15-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
I posted city stats and you posted metro stats. What I understand is that on BOTH measures...Atlanta is NOT more diverse than Austin...they are equally diverse. One has a low hispanic population and one has a low black population...that's all.

While you're in Westend, visit Hong Kong City...I was just in the Westend a few weeks ago with a VERY diverse group of friends also...they've got some pretty good chinese food and wings...i gorged myself on wings.

Just because Austin doesn't have a large black population with a wealth of historically and currently black neighborhoods that you can take a diverse group of friends to, doesn't mean it is not diverse...it's just a low black population. I'm sure there are parts of Austin or Seattle that some people in the suburban areas of their respective metros didn't know exist either...someone familiar with those can show them. Exploring different areas of a city isn't exclusive to exploring black areas. When in Rome...don't try to do things or go places that are only available in Paris. So when in Austin, don't look for the Westend. Maybe you'd have a different view of Austin or Seattle if someone showed you places like you're doing with your friends.

And concerning the bolded part of your statement above...is there an Inuit in the group?

Whenever or whereever I go I wish to know the culture and customs of that place.If I am there I will fit in even if my culture is not present.

Seattle and Austin are what they are suppose to be.This is why I love America.Our cities are the most diverse in the world when it comes to people and landscape.

I not saying its not diverse but I suppose not my type of diversity if my culture is not represented.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Yes, you live it...you see the people in YOUR neighborhood, the kids in YOUR niece's class...that's great. I see the people in all of my friends neighborhoods as we walk dogs around. And Gwinnett has great ethnic shops (my personal fave is H-Mart in Duluth)...you said neighborhoods where people actually lived...so I focused on that. Yes...Gwinnett on the county level is hugely diverse and I do most of my shopping in Gwinnett County so I see the ethnic shops and shop in them. I live in Tucker right on the county line and heading north into Gwinnett to do everything I need is easier for me as it's on my way to where I'm usually going anyway. My experiences of Gwinnett neighborhoods are just my friends' neighborhoods, which (with the exception of Peachtree Corners) don't seem to have much mixture in those neighborhoods...

actually on typing this out, I mean SUBDIVISION, if that's different to you than neighborhood.
I'm still not buying it, especially given the comparisons outside Atlanta previously mentioned. Something is amiss here. I don't know if it is the limited data of your friends neighborhoods, perhaps your not there at the right times. I know most parts of this county really well. I grew up here and have seen it change immensely during its rapid growth. I don't just visit it and I don't just have a few friends here. To say racial groups here are compartmentalized and don't share neighborhoods is just jaw-droppingly not accurate, so I'm at a bit of a loss trying to comprehend this discussion.

I appreciate your ability to over emphasize the "YOUR" trying to make my knowledge limited to a single neighborhood, but I can assure you that doesn't strengthen your argument 'nor really show you know this county better than myself.

Where is the inverse? Where it is not compartmentalized? If that is what Gwinnett is?

Please fell free to try to use data, mapping, or anything really.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
NOTICE

See the first post for the topic. If things do not steer back that way the thread will be closed.

************************************************** *******************************

Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 AM

143 posts, read 242,505 times
Censorship...nice.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Seems like every single thread started on CD goes to hell, from uninformed, uneducated, ignorant people..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Quote:
Censorship...nice.
But it's pretty ridiculous that a thread about someone's postive impressions of Atlanta has become completely about race. There's an Atlanta poster who has pointed out that it's practically only a matter of minutes before any Atlanta thread goes off in this direction, and this one even has numerous posts with references to the KKK. Geez. It gets old.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If there was a history of black people lynching white people would you say its stupid then?

Learn the meaning ofthe word racist:

rac·ist
ˈrāsist/Submit
noun
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

No where have I ever said that or inferred that.
So, in other words, its OK to judge everyone of a certain race based on the actions of a few? Special organized groups aside, I fail to see how it's OK in either direction. Just saying, this is how you're coming across.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
So, in other words, its OK to judge everyone of a certain race based on the actions of a few? Special organized groups aside, I fail to see how it's OK in either direction. Just saying, this is how you're coming across.
No that is how you wish to interpretit because you cannot see past your own insecurites.
I never said that at all.All I said was (and I even admitted it was a dramatic response),BUT when you have the history in this county that is not too distant,as a black person it can be overwhelming.

When did a group of blacks chased hundreds of white people with ropes or barred whites from entering their business?Why would whites see how that would cause a small uneasiness?

Racial attacs in this country to this day are 3x as frequent as those are against whites yet you can't understand why I have a small apprehension?

For the record I am in mostly white environment a lot and depending on how well I know the circumstances and the area,I am just fine but its on occasion where there are NO other minorities and I am in a foreign environment like in Fanin County in the mountains where they had "Sundown signs" telling blacks to leave before sunset.that it makes me a little nervous.

I have actually been in a nice Country Club with a white friend of mine to meet his parents for dinner .I was the ONLY black person not a part of the wait staff or kitchen.The looks I got and the stares I got were enough to set me on fire.This was before Tiger Woods.
Sorry just not going to apologize because it is just not the same.White people cannot claim that racism is pervasive against the as it is against blacks.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No that is how you wish to interpretit because you cannot see past your own insecurites.
I never said that at all.All I said was (and I even admitted it was a dramatic response),BUT when you have the history in this county that is not too distant,as a black person it can be overwhelming.

When did a group of blacks chased hundreds of white people with ropes or barred whites from entering their business?Why would whites see how that would cause a small uneasiness?

Racial attacs in this country to this day are 3x as frequent as those are against whites yet you can't understand why I have a small apprehension?

For the record I am in mostly white environment a lot and depending on how well I know the circumstances and the area,I am just fine but its on occasion where there are NO other minorities and I am in a foreign environment like in Fanin County in the mountains where they had "Sundown signs" telling blacks to leave before sunset.that it makes me a little nervous.

I have actually been in a nice Country Club with a white friend of mine to meet his parents for dinner .I was the ONLY black person not a part of the wait staff or kitchen.The looks I got and the stares I got were enough to set me on fire.This was before Tiger Woods.
Sorry just not going to apologize because it is just not the same.White people cannot claim that racism is pervasive against the as it is against blacks.
As someone who has personally lost out on job promotions and scholarships solely based on my race, I can tell you that it definitely goes both ways. Both are crappy, but I'm sick of the delusion that we dont ALL face racism and bias at one point or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta