Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Cap connector still alive?
Yes 3 15.00%
No 14 70.00%
Probably So??? 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
What does it mean to "cap the connector"?
I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this is the basic idea:

the rendering above is in austin, texas— our connector is at least twice as wide as that, so even if you sunk the connector down, "capping" our connector would pretty much mean a giant treeless park, as you can't build anything over such a thin bridge structure, and correct me if i'm wrong, but i can't imagine trees being able to grow very large in such a shallow patch of dirt.

the fact that it would basically be an empty plot of grass combined with the fact that the freeway would have to be lowered to make it happen, it seems to me like you might as well tunnel the thing rather than spend just as much money to build a huge lawn where the freeway used to be.

if you tunnelled the connector, at least you'd be able to reclaim the land where the connector was for real development, whether it's a street grid, skyscrapers, a park with giant oak trees, etc. "capping" pretty much leaves you one option: grass and shrubs.

if it were smaller like the freeway pictured above, it would be fine since you could create a little boulevard, but i don't see the point in paying billions of dollars to create a 1/4 mile wide monument to the great plains in the middle of midtown.

forget the "cap"-romise and pay 10% more for a real tunnel. otherwise, leave it as is and try to work with what we've got. i'm not opposed to capping over the sections that can be easily done, but when you have to start tearing up the connector to move it down 20 feet, you might as well tunnel the damn thing.
So the answer is a tunnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

So the answer is a tunnel?
the idea commonly being tossed around is that you wouldn't have to modify the connector at all; just build a big bridge over the entire thing, except put grass on top of the bridge instead of a road; that would be a "cap". however the expense involved in building a complete "cap" over the entire connector would be so high— and the benefits so few— that building a tunnel might be a better solution.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 AM

54 posts, read 65,596 times
I never understand. Cities are built with a giant river running in the middle of them. Granted, they're built with that in mind from the very beginning, and the Connector pretty well separated neighborhoods with its construction, but why is it people don't just sort of... treat it like a river and build along it? I realize it's not the most aesthetically pleasing "river", but we're sort of stuck with it, and a cap is not gonna happen any time soon.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
the idea commonly being tossed around is that you wouldn't have to modify the connector at all; just build a big bridge over the entire thing, except put grass on top of the bridge instead of a road; that would be a "cap". however the expense involved in building a complete "cap" over the entire connector would be so high— and the benefits so few— that building a tunnel might be a better solution.
You could achieve similar results by just capping the below-grade sections from North Avenue to 14th Street, Peachtree to Piedmont, and the Capitol Gateway park proposal between Memorial and MLK.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
I never understand. Cities are built with a giant river running in the middle of them. Granted, they're built with that in mind from the very beginning, and the Connector pretty well separated neighborhoods with its construction, but why is it people don't just sort of... treat it like a river and build along it? I realize it's not the most aesthetically pleasing "river", but we're sort of stuck with it, and a cap is not gonna happen any time soon.
Yes, because I like to wake up in the morning with 14 lanes of traffic right outside my window.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
You could achieve similar results by just capping the below-grade sections from North Avenue to 14th Street, Peachtree to Piedmont, and the Capitol Gateway park proposal between Memorial and MLK.
I agree. Those sections would easiest to do with minimal relative cost and offer just as much impact as capping the entire connector. As has been mentioned several times, the template is already there at the 5th street bridge and the benefit of that bridge has been huge for Tech.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
that's my whole point. the connector is not below grade from 14th to north avenue; in fact, it's above grade for much of that stretch. capping it would be impossible; you'd have to lower the interstate, and by the time you do that, you would be better off building a tunnel.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times
Quote:
that's my whole point. the connector is not below grade from 14th to north avenue; in fact, it's above grade for much of that stretch. capping it would be impossible; you'd have to lower the interstate, and by the time you do that, you would be better off building a tunnel.
The point is to create greenspace /amenities where it makes sense. It may be at grade in a couple of spots but I don't see anywhere that it is above grade in that stretch

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

708 posts, read 999,481 times
Here is everything you need to know about the project.
ISSUU - I-75/85 Connector Transformation by Central Atlanta Progress

Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Here is everything you need to know about the project.
ISSUU - I-75/85 Connector Transformation by Central Atlanta Progress
That link is probably required reading (or skimming, anyway) for anyone interested in debating this -- the plan is clearly not to attempt to bury miles and miles of interstate, but to A) improve the caps that are already there, like Courtland & Ralph McGill Blvd; B) add new caps where they make sense, like the Capitol Gateway Park; and C) improve the aesthetics of the existing connector streetscape wherever they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta