Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM

7,345 posts, read 6,479,699 times

Advertisements

Who said anything about condemning it? As I've already stated numerous times, CRT can coexist within the corridor with either LRT or the trail. The NE beltline isn't "going away" it's just going to share some space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
Quote:
“ABI’s contractors will be performing a structural inspection to identify if any repairs are needed,” ABI said in a press release. “To do so Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. contractors will close single lanes on the Buford Spring Connector where it crosses under the future Atlanta Beltline corridor to perform inspections on these two inactive railroad bridges.

Beltline closing conducting inspections on the 'wye' property, says single lane closures required - The Atlanta Loop

Old 11-14-2017, 12:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,661,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Who said anything about condemning it? As I've already stated numerous times, CRT can coexist within the corridor with either LRT or the trail. The NE beltline isn't "going away" it's just going to share some space.
Well. CRT also has options to not use the BeltLine as an approach. Options which fit into the wider need of the metro while also not hurting the BeltLine. Options which support other CRT routes, intercity passenger rail routes, and the movement of freight through the Atlanta metro, all without taking the locally needed functions of the BeltLine away.

By removing either the trail or the light rail components of the NE BeltLine, you are, in fact, removing it and removing the continuity of the transportation loop.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,222,527 times
Welp, the pedestrian scramble at Krog and Dekalb went active yesterday. I walked my dog over there after work, around 5:30. Traffic was backed up on Krog all the way to Irwin. It's NEVER been that bad. Cars and cyclists were getting intensely mad at each other. I witnessed screaming matches and motorists literally throwing their hands up in frustration. Turns out, delaying movement for 20 seconds in all directions every time the light changes causes significant problems, and solves none.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,816,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Welp, the pedestrian scramble at Krog and Dekalb went active yesterday. I walked my dog over there after work, around 5:30. Traffic was backed up on Krog all the way to Irwin. It's NEVER been that bad. Cars and cyclists were getting intensely mad at each other. I witnessed screaming matches and motorists literally throwing their hands up in frustration. Turns out, delaying movement for 20 seconds in all directions every time the light changes causes significant problems, and solves none.
Were there any pedestrians actually crossing during those dead periods?

People will adjust. Either by changing their expectations, or routes. Like life, "traffic finds a way".

Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It'll take time to get use to it, but I can see this operation leading to more bikes on the sidewalk, until the EST is extended from Edgewood Ave bridge to the intersection.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Were there any pedestrians actually crossing during those dead periods?
Yes, but no more than before the scramble.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It'll take time to get use to it, but I can see this operation leading to more bikes on the sidewalk, until the EST is extended from Edgewood Ave bridge to the intersection.
Yes, which is a problem in itself. Even after the Beltline is extended, bikes will use the sidewalk in the tunnel, while acting like they have more right to it than pedestrians.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM

164 posts, read 169,215 times
The Eastside Trail was slammed full of walkers, runners, families, and bikes from Piedmont Park to Edgewood today. Many had to walk on the grassy areas to get around the trail. Makes me wonder if the trail will be able to handle increased density and removing the extra space for rail. Seems like a separate lane for bicycles is what is needed most? I saw a few “almost” accidents of bicyclists about to hit someone

I know a tax was passed to fund rail, but I haven’t heard a peep about the plans since... it’s been more than a year or two... all you read in the news as a casual observer is how poorly the Streetcar is doing. Not exactly inspiring confidence in the overall vision.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,321,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
The Eastside Trail was slammed full of walkers, runners, families, and bikes from Piedmont Park to Edgewood today. Many had to walk on the grassy areas to get around the trail. Makes me wonder if the trail will be able to handle increased density and removing the extra space for rail. Seems like a separate lane for bicycles is what is needed most? I saw a few “almost” accidents of bicyclists about to hit someone

I know a tax was passed to fund rail, but I haven’t heard a peep about the plans since... it’s been more than a year or two... all you read in the news as a casual observer is how poorly the Streetcar is doing. Not exactly inspiring confidence in the overall vision.
Today was obviously a special case. It was shorts and t-shirt weather after two weeks of bitter freezing temperatures and ice-covered roads. A lot more people were out today than any normal day. There were even people walking on the sidewalks in my part of town, and you almost never see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta