Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
The Eastside Trail was slammed full of walkers, runners, families, and bikes from Piedmont Park to Edgewood today. Many had to walk on the grassy areas to get around the trail. Makes me wonder if the trail will be able to handle increased density and removing the extra space for rail. Seems like a separate lane for bicycles is what is needed most? I saw a few “almost” accidents of bicyclists about to hit someone

I know a tax was passed to fund rail, but I haven’t heard a peep about the plans since... it’s been more than a year or two... all you read in the news as a casual observer is how poorly the Streetcar is doing. Not exactly inspiring confidence in the overall vision.
A counter point I might offer is that, if it truly becomes that crowded on a daily basis, the light rail component will be there to help handle some of that load.

Yes there are those who will want to walk / bike / skate / jog / etc. no matter what, but for those who are okay with it, the light rail will be there to offer alternatives, as well as extend potential trips to new places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
The LRT won't make as much difference to the pedestrian demand as you think. If anything, it'll increase it as more people can come from farther out and they'll be headed to destinations between stations.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:57 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
The multiple people walking abreast thing is annoying, and causes a lot of congestion, but I suppose nothing can really be done about that.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
The Beltline was packed during an unseasonably warm weekend in January. Surely this means certain doom!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 PM

20 posts, read 17,834 times
I’ve always wished the Beltline would install lots more seating- picnic tables and the like. A great location would be just north of Ladybird, near the stairs to Highland. The EST is a destination on weekends more than a transportation corridor, a see and be seen attraction, but lots of those people would probably just as soon like to sit and watch at times. More seating would alleviate some of the congestion while obviously allowing people to rest, which I bet older and less mobile folks would really appreciate.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The LRT won't make as much difference to the pedestrian demand as you think. If anything, it'll increase it as more people can come from farther out and they'll be headed to destinations between stations.
Well, I wasn't so much stating that it would reduce the numbers of those walking, but rather simply provide an alternative for those who don't want to walk.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khs11 View Post
I’ve always wished the Beltline would install lots more seating- picnic tables and the like. A great location would be just north of Ladybird, near the stairs to Highland. The EST is a destination on weekends more than a transportation corridor, a see and be seen attraction, but lots of those people would probably just as soon like to sit and watch at times. More seating would alleviate some of the congestion while obviously allowing people to rest, which I bet older and less mobile folks would really appreciate.
You're right, the beltline is like a very long park. A few benches would go a long way toward reducing the amount of people walking at a time, while also providing a place to rest or just read a book or eat lunch.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM

175 posts, read 203,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, I wasn't so much stating that it would reduce the numbers of those walking, but rather simply provide an alternative for those who don't want to walk.
Agree this is needed. I saw several Lance wanna-be's absolutely tearing down the beltline and weaving in and out of groups of people. I saw several near misses also. Bicyclists that want to ride like that need to get the hell off the beltline! It pisses me off to see them sideswipe toddlers, kids on tricycles,etc. with their full on Tour de France gear.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Why not just put a tram on the Beltline for the time being and see how it goes? We don't need some huge multi-billion dollar monster for folks to scoot a mile or so to the next restaurant?

We could get a world class tram system up and going by this summer. Imagine buzzing along and feeling the warm summer breezes and seeing the views of the city skyline and the lovely surrounding neighborhoods. No fare, frequent stops, hop on and off at your pleasure.

If it turns out there's actually a demand for heavy duty mass transit we can look into it down the road.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not just put a tram on the Beltline for the time being and see how it goes? We don't need some huge multi-billion dollar monster for folks to scoot a mile or so to the next restaurant?

We could get a world class tram system up and going by this summer. Imagine buzzing along and feeling the warm summer breezes and seeing the views of the city skyline and the lovely surrounding neighborhoods. No fare, frequent stops, hop on and off at your pleasure.

If it turns out there's actually a demand for heavy duty mass transit we can look into it down the road.
Tram is the same thing as a streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta