Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 AM

7 posts, read 28,653 times

Advertisements

Hey All You Wonderful Atlanta Folk,
We moved to the Smyrna/Vinings area - Marta was not really a factor at that time but it sure is now. Gas is killing us. Does any one know how/ why/ when / if ever Marta is going to make its why to the west cobb area. I know there are buses that will take us to other buses and we can transfer to the Marta system, but we will sacrafice all family time. It will mean over four hours in traffic. Thanks Pamella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,271,689 times
The same question can be asked of around 90% of the Atlanta metro area, and the answer is that no one wants to pay for the service to be extended. Even if something was approved tomorrow, it'd be years before there was an operable rail system to Smyrna, so you're going to have to figure out another solution to your problem.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 28,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The same question can be asked of around 90% of the Atlanta metro area, and the answer is that no one wants to pay for the service to be extended. Even if something was approved tomorrow, it'd be years before there was an operable rail system to Smyrna, so you're going to have to figure out another solution to your problem.
Thanks Bob .. you told the truth and sad as it is, I needed to get a grip.

I quess, I need to give up on my hope of mass-transit; and the future of a city park on every corner, clear air, a ribbon of trees running down 285, and all our GI's coming home from the East.

I am so depressed over this. Every time a city gets a really good idea the citizens fund just enough to pat themselves on the back, and have community chests swell with pride at what we are leaving our kids. We never go all the way, we never really fix much of anything.

My mom used to say if you are going to do something. " Do it right; or just do something else." I mean, Bob: Why did they bother; that little bit of train had to be a big $ item?

Gee Whizzz....

Well, I love my car, but we need a better mouse trap now, and there does not seem to be anyway to build one. But I am grateful to you for tellling it like it is Bob.

You have a Great Day. I pray you work from home, own stock in Q-T oil company, and your sons are too young for war games.

Blessings Bob

Pamella

Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,227,121 times
Someone on another forum posted the original proposed MARTA rail system. There was supposed to be a line that extended essentially up I-75 right to Marietta with stops in Vinings/Smyrna, Marietta, and also W Paces Ferry. *sigh* If only that had been realized.

If you need even a slight silver lining, talk of light rail systems has picked up over the last 10 years. Yet, a parallel plan also has the idea to widen I-75 from the perimeter to I-575 to 22 lanes.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 55,194 times
I also live in Smynings. When I first moved here, I lived within walking distance to the Cumberland Mall and sometimes took the CCT route there that goes directly to MARTA's Art Center Station. Then I'd transfer to the train to my job in Doraville.

It didn't really take that much time to go from Cumberland to the Arts Center to Doraville, but I haven't done it in awhile since my work hours are such that I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic anymore.

Maybe as an experiment you can try parking your car at the mall and seeing just how much more time taking CCT and MARTA is than your car commute. It might work out better than you would think. Or you might be late for work.... I've found that the schedules aren't always strictly followed.

Last edited by JHoustonGriff76; 12-08-2007 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Someone on another forum posted the original proposed MARTA rail system. There was supposed to be a line that extended essentially up I-75 right to Marietta with stops in Vinings/Smyrna, Marietta, and also W Paces Ferry. *sigh* If only that had been realized.

If you need even a slight silver lining, talk of light rail systems has picked up over the last 10 years. Yet, a parallel plan also has the idea to widen I-75 from the perimeter to I-575 to 22 lanes.

Well, here is a map that MARTA used to pass out in 1992...

They had high hopes back then of a spur that would branch out just above the Arts Center Station in Midtown, and have stations in the Brookwood and Northside Drive areas that eventually would extend NorthWest into Cobb County should they ever approve it, or, they created their own rail system that could connect to it. As we know now 15+ year later, that never happened. Likewise, a North Druid Hills spur never came to be, and they decided to not expand the Bankhead/Perry Homes area due to crime and other problems in that area.

The Counties here have never worked together. Cobb started CCT and while it has expanded a little over the years, it's never going to be a "full" transit agency unless some radically new leaders come into power. Likewise they've talked about a light rail type system here for years as well, but have never gone past the discussion stage with it. Heck, at one time in the past one of the Mayor's of Smyrna actually had a number of CCT stops removed from the city limits saying they didn't like the "type of people" who were using the system.

Gwinnett County as well has an extremely basic system. The express buses that go throughout the metro area are a nice idea run by the GRTA agency, but when Governor Perdue took office he stripped a lot of funding from them. They have little money to expand, and their express buses only run a few times in the AM and PM hours, with no mid-day service on most routes.

Commuter rail has been discussed since I moved here in 1984. Do we have it yet? (uh...no).

So basically, if you move to Atlanta and want to use transit, expect to live in the city. Downtown, Buckhead, Midtown.. maybe Decatur if you're near the square, etc. Otherwise, welcome to the L.A. of the East, and welcome to auto-nation.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:51 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,744,026 times
For Atlanta standards, Smyrna has one of the best commutes possible by car (I should know because that's where I live), and most people living in Smyrna have cars. Light rail or BRT to Cumberland (not Smyrna) and Windy Hill from North Springs will probably happen in the next 5 years. MARTA to Austell/Lithia Springs will probably happen. MARTA to Smyrna/Cumberland will never happen in a long time because a NW MARTA spur would never make sense. MARTA is heavy rail and there is already a N-S and E-W trunk. From there, it makes sense to connect light rail or other express lower-capacity networks along the perimeter. If they did light rail or BRT from North Springs to Cumberland along the perimeter and that reached capacity, then at that point they may consider replacing it with MARTA, but until then probably not.

Check out revive285 top end | Home

Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
Gwinnett residents (at least according to a poll) are now much more open to MARTA in their County. But it's easier to just expand the Doraville line further into Gwinnett than to create a whole new line, too. Of course, they want it, but still don't want to PAY for it.

Story: MARTA: No Longer A Dirty Word in Gwinnett - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 AM

109 posts, read 484,111 times
I have clients that ask me that question all the time. Usually its transplants from up north that ask about it. I usually tell them to invest in a little "grocery getter" type car and get used to driving. Either that or I advise them to move intown, at a minimum at least you don't have to drive just to go to the supermarket.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 AM

117 posts, read 618,314 times
Tell it how it is.

Many from Atlanta know that the reason the service is not extended is because of race and crime. Forget the tremendous benefit of all surrounding communities/economy including Cobb would receive from the rail line are superseded by the fear of Black folks from the city coming out to Canton/Kennesaw and getting jobs, procreating, being an eyesoar etc.

Classic high-level 10000ft racism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta