Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,969,424 times

Advertisements

Gwinnett has some of the coolest parks I've ever seen in my life--I'm talking indoor waterslides et al. If I were a kid, that's where I'd want to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 12,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Gwinnett has some of the coolest parks I've ever seen in my life--I'm talking indoor waterslides et al. If I were a kid, that's where I'd want to live!
I'll have to check that out!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM

847 posts, read 1,451,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdjames View Post
We live in Rex!
I was in Rex from 2001 through 2003. I don't blame you for wanting to get out. I saw a decline in the brief time that I was there, but I could only imagine what it is like now.

When we first got there, a good number of people in our subdivision either worked at the airport (Delta) or current or former military that were at Fort Gillem at some point. Once a lot of those people left, the renters started to outnumber the owners. Since Clayco as a whole tends to be cheaper that even some undesirable parts of DeKalb or Henry, you got those types as well. When you throw in the school issues, you end up with houses that are worth less than half what people paid for them.

Even if you take the schools and stereotypes out of the equation, that part of Clayco is also not convenient to most decent amenities. Southlake and Stonecrest are your closest malls and the retail shopping centers in the area aren't that great. We used to venture out of the immediate area a lot when I lived there, but of course that was back when gas was only about $1.50/gallon. Oddly enough, Rex was the only place that I ever lived where HR people would ask questions like, "You live in Rex, is that going to be an issue?
(that's an illegal question by the way, but I didn't know that at the time).

All in all, I would say that get of Rex (and Clayco as a whole) while the getting is good.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
The parks in Gwinnett were one of the many reasons why we purchased in Gwinnett rather than DeKalb. Gwinnett is not perfect by any means, but the parks and school campuses are tangible ways to see where some of your tax dollars are going.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I was in Rex from 2001 through 2003. I don't blame you for wanting to get out. I saw a decline in the brief time that I was there, but I could only imagine what it is like now.

When we first got there, a good number of people in our subdivision either worked at the airport (Delta) or current or former military that were at Fort Gillem at some point. Once a lot of those people left, the renters started to outnumber the owners. Since Clayco as a whole tends to be cheaper that even some undesirable parts of DeKalb or Henry, you got those types as well. When you throw in the school issues, you end up with houses that are worth less than half what people paid for them.

Even if you take the schools and stereotypes out of the equation, that part of Clayco is also not convenient to most decent amenities. Southlake and Stonecrest are your closest malls and the retail shopping centers in the area aren't that great. We used to venture out of the immediate area a lot when I lived there, but of course that was back when gas was only about $1.50/gallon. Oddly enough, Rex was the only place that I ever lived where HR people would ask questions like, "You live in Rex, is that going to be an issue?
(that's an illegal question by the way, but I didn't know that at the time).

All in all, I would say that get of Rex (and Clayco as a whole) while the getting is good.
Rex is just a bunch of single family housing. I doubt that it would be dangerous. If anything I've heard people call it rural, not dangerous. It also has some of the best schools in Clayton. It's also one of the most beautiful cities in Atlanta.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,800,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdjames View Post
...I do, however, love going walking at the Clayton International Park (the "beach")...
I only heard about this park in the past couple of months. I don't have intent of moving there, but I am planning to get a season pass. I'm unclear whether the putt putt golf is available - is it? It doesn't matter that much but I'm looking forward to the beach, trails, and fishing lakes. Just for the record though, the fishing lakes do exist as in have you seen people walking back to their cars with fish?

For your specific question though, I'd suggest Gwinnett or Cobb since you want to be north of 20. If I wanted to suggest the best choice just based on your criteria, I'd look at Peachtree City or Fayetteville.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM

564 posts, read 884,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I only heard about this park in the past couple of months. I don't have intent of moving there, but I am planning to get a season pass. I'm unclear whether the putt putt golf is available - is it? It doesn't matter that much but I'm looking forward to the beach, trails, and fishing lakes. Just for the record though, the fishing lakes do exist as in have you seen people walking back to their cars with fish?

For your specific question though, I'd suggest Gwinnett or Cobb since you want to be north of 20. If I wanted to suggest the best choice just based on your criteria, I'd look at Peachtree City or Fayetteville.
In past years, the putt putt golf section has been unavailable, however, they recently added some more slides and made some updates to the areas around the beach, so they MAY be open this year, but I'm not sure. Finally, the trails are good now if you know them, but if you don't try not to get lost! However, this will soon change because they are about to do an overhaul of the parks trail system. Yes there are fish in the lake. Every year and at different times during the year, the park holds a fishing derby and fish fry. There are two lakes that you can go fishing at.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
The parks in Gwinnett were one of the many reasons why we purchased in Gwinnett rather than DeKalb. Gwinnett is not perfect by any means, but the parks and school campuses are tangible ways to see where some of your tax dollars are going.

One unique thing about Gwinnett over other counties is they have a voter approved 0.95 mill property tax dedicated for parks and recreation. This is on top of the SPLOST capital improvement funding.

This is why we have some of the best parks around and the highest amount of developed park land in town.

In an era of anti-tax, this just goes to show... you get what you pay for.

For anyone interested the 2013 updated improvement plan is looking promising. http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static...vementPlan.pdf

In the past they spent a great deal of attention and money at preserving undeveloped land for large parks at the periphery of the county. The update is indicating more interest at small infill parks in the older, populated areas of the county and more investment in greenways. I'm pretty excited about this.

In Lilburn, they just developed Bryon Park, building a new Lions Club Park, and a new park on land across from Mountain Park Park (a very popular and congested park in the area).

The Lions Club Park will have a connection to the Lilburn Greenway and eventually another greenway connection going South.

I also have noticed some early, limited interest in direct connections to subdivisions (imagine a small trail in the back of the neighborhood to link to park next door). This is a very much needed thing most of Metro Atlanta needs more of.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,800,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
In past years, the putt putt golf section has been unavailable, however, they recently added some more slides and made some updates to the areas around the beach, so they MAY be open this year, but I'm not sure. Finally, the trails are good now if you know them, but if you don't try not to get lost! However, this will soon change because they are about to do an overhaul of the parks trail system. Yes there are fish in the lake. Every year and at different times during the year, the park holds a fishing derby and fish fry. There are two lakes that you can go fishing at.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a plan.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Rex is just a bunch of single family housing. I doubt that it would be dangerous. If anything I've heard people call it rural, not dangerous. It also has some of the best schools in Clayton. It's also one of the most beautiful cities in Atlanta.
It wasn't "dangerous" when I lived there, although there was one incident where a party in the subdivision got out of hand and some fools were running across yards with guns. I never feared for my safety over there (especially not being from Los Angeles). However, as I said before the people in the area started to change after a while. The teens and young adults in the area were pretty much just like the ones in other parts of Clayton, which could really go either way.

I refuse to call Rex one of the "most beautiful cities". Aside from the fact that it is not a city (it is actually in unincorporated Clayton County), there also really isn't anything there that you don't see elsewhere. You can get trees and stuff like that all over the metro area, so Rex really doesn't offer anything extra. On top of that, you can go elsewhere and get nice scenery along with better schools and neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta