Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
No reason. I do not work. But I do like the ideas of walking places with the kids and living someplace slightly more diverse and progressive I guess you'd say? Farmer's markets, local restaurants, etc. I do like the idea of swim teams/pools associations and my husband golfs a bit and loves the idea of a big yard and garage so possibly suburban living would be better? We live in surbrbs of Chicago and like it a lot.

Sounds like Decatur.

There actually are a lot of really big yards ITP, but, of course, you get more for your money in the suburbs.

Garages, however, are not so certain in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Reading some of this, you may need some background info:

All of Gwinnett County is one school district (and about 200,000 students).
City of Atlanta is one school district which is mostly in Fulton County, but partly in DeKalb County (50,000 students)
City of Decatur is one school district (5,000 students)
The rest of DeKalb County that is not part of city of Decatur or city of Atlanta is a school district (100,000 students)

Most of DeKalb County, including areas just 5-6 miles from downtown Atlanta, is unincorporated and gets its municipal services from the county. Tucker is not officially a city. Most of the areas with Decatur addresses are not in the city of Decatur (and you want to avoid most of those that aren't actually in Decatur).

Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM

91 posts, read 152,123 times
Thank you!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
No I meant where in Atlanta? So just CoD? I am not sure how to look up MLS via specific school like grady clusters... Need to see a realtor once we get down there I guess.
If you Zilllow.com to look up a home, it will usually list the assigned schools. 99% of the time it is correct.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Yes and if you use Georgiamls.com you can search by school districts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If you Zilllow.com to look up a home, it will usually list the assigned schools. 99% of the time it is correct.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
where in Gwinett would you recommend then? Norcross or peachtree corners? Lilburn? Are there areas where non-religious families would not feel alone? I heard most socializing revolves around the church.... Honestly, I do not mind having to drive to the grocery, shopping, etc but I'd like a little downtown area possibly and not simply strip mall after strip mall.
If being part of a walkable downtown is a very high priority, really look at City of Decatur. Lilburn's old downtown is tiny with a restaurant or two and a nice park--and it is not even in one of its good school zones. 20 years ago I liked Norcross's downtown, don't know much about it now, or Peachtree Corners. The religion thing has not been an issue for us in Lilburn, but both of us work outside the home and much of our free time is centered on our kids' activities, and when we do social stuff it is often with friends intown.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If being part of a walkable downtown is a very high priority, really look at City of Decatur. Lilburn's old downtown is tiny with a restaurant or two and a nice park--and it is not even in one of its good school zones. 20 years ago I liked Norcross's downtown, don't know much about it now, or Peachtree Corners. The religion thing has not been an issue for us in Lilburn, but both of us work outside the home and much of our free time is centered on our kids' activities, and when we do social stuff it is often with friends intown.
I would trade the downtown thing for a swimming pool/club in your subdivision. And an area with a Good parkdistrict/sports/activities etc for the kids Do they offer those near there?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
I would trade the downtown thing for a swimming pool/club in your subdivision. And an area with a Good parkdistrict/sports/activities etc for the kids Do they offer those near there?
Yep. And you can walk to them in most in-town neighborhoods instead of needing to drive.

I have been thinking of buying into the swim club that is less than two blocks away from my place. Or there are the city facilities that are usually available for inexpensive fees or free.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Do you live in Decatur?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
There is a new gated subdivision with a playground, swim and tennis and large houses on smallish lots that is a 5 min walk to Mountain Park Park --which is a nice park with playgrounds, trails, tennis etc. it is called Garner Creek. I know Emory/CDC people live there, and I believe it has a healthy mix of races and cultures--maybe more Asian than typical. Its elementary school is the top one for the Parkview Cluster. This subdivision is 75% sold out last I checked, and really are the only homes in the area that are selling well --they sell from the high 300s to the mid 400s-- but there may be none of the 300s left. If you want nice 1990s homes on bigger lots with a small lake and swim/tennis priced from the mid 200s to the mid-high 300s there is a subdivision across from the park on Pounds Road--the catch is that it's elementary school, Mountain Park is the lowest performing in the area, but, I have heard good things about it, and would send my kids there--(but that could change in 5 years). I am sure there are others--Knight elementary and Arcado elementary also feed into Parkview, and are well regarded elementary schools. Outside of the new subdivision, I would suggest bidding low on all but the most competitively priced used homes in the area, almost nothing over 200K is selling right now. A little bit further out is the arguably better Brookwood High school zone with a much greater selection of newer homes. (The high schools and middle schools in both zones are huge, and the elementary schools are not small--if that bothers you).
As far as activities go--the Gwinnet Soccer Association has their complex right across from the high school, and we love it. And while old Lilburn downtown is tiny--it is worth visiting--it has a resturant-bakery, a few stores and events --fireworks, a music store, with lessons that also hosts Saturday night concerts (I know one evening they hosted "big-name" professional country songwriters playing their own music.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-23-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta