Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:53 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times

Advertisements

Well,

Here is where I think I am. I've already used financial aid to pursue both a bachelor's degree in English / Language Arts and Secondary Education and a master's in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). I'm very interested in fashion styling and / or fashion design, because I'm actually starting to notice fashion everywhere. I think I would be pretty pleased with myself if I could earn a fashion degree and learn what the pros know. Fashion is a potentially lucrative career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:07 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Gosh, are you teaching? there are certainly more job openings for teachers than for fashion designers--and you were interested in that enough to finish some degrees in the field. The odds are weighted heavily against your making in the field, but the debt is guaranteed. Not trying to squash any dreams, but why not teach? buy a sewing machine, read some books, and see how you feel in a year. If you were going to take out more student loan debt, it should be for something with more job opps like nursing, even law school --higher % of grads getting good paying jobs than in fashion. I hope you go into teaching. You are really needed there and could make a real difference in some students' lives. They'll always have cool clothes to wear, what they need are cool teachers and mentors.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnishaluvsdontae View Post
How much you say is ALOT of MONEY? Even for a state school in Georgia?
SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) is a PRIVATE school. Undergrad tuition, fees, housing and meal plan for academic year 2014-2015 (three quarters) is approximately $48,000, give or take a few.

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-27-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) is a PRIVATE school. Undergrad tuition, fees, housing and meal plan for academic year 2014-2015 (three quarters) is approximately $48,000, give or take a few.
Oh, God...all that time turning tricks on Metropolitan to pay that tuition. Makes this old girl tired thinking about it.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, God...all that time turning tricks on Metropolitan to pay that tuition. Makes this old girl tired thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3muFUM4r0&hd=1

Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM

You are right. My dreams of stardom may be crushed, but the people I've spoken to in the field seem like they are doing well. Now, I don't know what it takes to actually "make it" and experience the level of success they have, and I guess going off of the fact that a few are successful isn't really the best idea. I should look at the overall success rate of graduates in general and research whether or not I have what it takes to finish strong and make it in the field.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
You are right. My dreams of stardom may be crushed, but the people I've spoken to in the field seem like they are doing well. Now, I don't know what it takes to actually "make it" and experience the level of success they have, and I guess going off of the fact that a few are successful isn't really the best idea. I should look at the overall success rate of graduates in general and research whether or not I have what it takes to finish strong and make it in the field.
The numbers don't indicate that most grads from SCAD are 'doing well.'

Seriously...

Again...

Worst Return on Investment of 1248 schools that Payscale ranks.

College Education Value Rankings - PayScale 2012 College ROI Report

Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 AM

Okay, maybe I should do the research and find out which fashion schools boast high ROIs on their majors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times
In fashion it seems like the people who make it have tons of money and connections. Do you have these? They are still no guarantee but...Fashion is not a field which is based on professional degrees and qualifications. If you do not have tons of money and connections then...be a teacher or a dentist or something where the degree does gain you entry into the field.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
That's a good point, but most people who go into fashion were not born with all of the skills; they had to learn them somewhere. I may not currently possess the skills I need to thrive at a fashion school, but there has to be some place to learn these things. Where is it?
Honestly, why don't you just go to a sewing school and learn the basics there and see if you like it. Sewing classes are relatively cheap and you can take them various places.

Also research into the career options you are seeking and try to take a few relevant classes here and there like CAD or sketching or business classes associated with a career in fashion.

I wouldn't try to jump into SCAD. As a PP stated, they have a VERY low ROI and they are super expensive. You can google for some free online fashion design courses and do those to get a portfolio together and get some experiences and dabble in the field to see if you seriously want to invest time and money into a degree.

I knew some people who were fashion majors at CAU when I went there. A couple friends even studied abroad in Paris and have good careers right now but fashion is a tough career to get into. And even at CAU I thought that they were too expensive to want to spend so much money on a fashion degree and even a liberal arts degree, which I got. But they are a UNCF school and I got a ton of scholarships there as did the friends I knew who were fashion majors because we had good grades but you have to be diligent in finding scholarships yourself as I felt the scholarship office there was not very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta