Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Hi! I need some advice from some ATLiens I am 27 years old, with no kids and I recently got a teaching position within Atlanta Public Schools; my school's address is 1301 East Lake Bvld. I am WELL AWARE of the horrendous traffic there; however, I have gotten mixed reviews on living outside the perimeter vs inside. I originally wanted to live on the outskirts, as to avoid all of the "chaos" that downtown Atlanta can be known for; but, as I research different areas, I'm finding that living in the city would be more suitable as far as traffic is concerned BUT the downside is that utlities can be a NIGHTMARE. I saw an earlier post where you guys were telling us "re-locators" that we need to be more specific about what we want, so here is my best shot at giving you all my criteria ....

-I'm looking to RENT (lease-to-own is also an option) with a max budget of 1,100/mo.
-Rather safe area (I'm a Memphis native, sooo...yea-lol )
-NOT interested in apartments... townhome/condo or single-family type housing only
-Turn-key with fairly updated furnishings-"yardage" is not a big deal-pet friendly would be nice
-I will be driving to work, so a reasonable commute time....no longer than 30 min (IF living outside the perimeter)
-Would love a "walkable" area, meaning entertainment, restaurants, & shopping are in close proximity (if this is not an option, close proximity to the Metro would work)

I've looked at areas that are OP: Sandy Springs, Mableton, Fairburn, Union City, Dunwoody, Marietta, Smyrna, Powder Springs, Stone Mountain, and Austell........

AS WELL AS THOSE IP: Decatur & Metro Atlanta

Could you guys give me any advice?! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,264 times
Which school will you be teaching at?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 AM

Charles R Drew

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
I know you probably know this, but Drew is an independent charter school. This position is not the same as working within the City of Atlanta school system.

I am not sure why utilities would be that different intown vs close in suburbs. The outside perimeter areas you mentioned are pretty family centric except for Dunwoody/Sandy Springs in the perimeter mall area. Have you looked in Kirkwood, East Atlanta, etc so you can have a really easy commute and a walkable community? Decatur would be good as well, but be aware that are places that call themselves Decatur that aren't within the City of Decatur limits and have real issues with crime.

You could also include the North Druid Hills area but I don't know how the commute would be.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I am aware that Drew is a charter school; however, they must be a branch of APS, as that is the system in which I applied for the position through. As for living in Decatur, I have found a few places there and am well aware of the crime issues out east. My sister attended Agnes Scott and lived there a few years during and subsequently after graduating. I DID love how walkable the area she lived in was. As for Druid Hills, I haven't been able to find anything in that area during my criteria, but I will continue my search; thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta