Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 26,371 times

Advertisements

Looking to move out of the crime infested south side of Atlanta into something a bit less intense. Due to still working on the south side we don't to go too far north and East Cobb seems a good compromise.

In looking at homes there it seems very hard to find something that's not a crammed in subdivision style. We would prefer a more private home, with some space from neighbors but still being a good spot for kids. We have been concentrating the search based on Elementary Schools: Sope Creek, Mouth Bethel, East Side, Kincaid, Sedalia Park with a preference for Walton District. Should we be looking somewhere else, or what neighborhoods/areas should we be looking at in East Cobb?

We considered Dunwoody area, but the commute is longer and it seems like you get a little less for the money there.

1. Budget: Possibly up to $400k; would prefer to stay around <$250-300.
2. House/Condo/Townhome: Home
3. Employment Status: Commute to Midtown and Clayton County off of 675.
4. School System: Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle: Prefer country, but considering I would say suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not: Not.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Families, Safe, Friendly
7. Amenities: Prefer no HOA, don't care about swim or tennis. Would like close-ish proximity to hiking/running trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Where exactly do you live now? In the COA?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Have you considered looking further west / south from your job? You could probably find some nice almost rural areas within a somewhat reasonable commute in that direction.

I would be concerned about moving to Cobb right now. I think a lot of people living are worried about what will happen with the traffic and increased taxes with the Braves relocation.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
I wouldn't recommend anyone who works in Clayton County live in Cobb County. The commute would be terrible unless you work really odd hours. If that isn't an issue to you then you have picked some great areas for what you want. A lot of the Walton district is older subdivisions where the houses are more original and spread out. You would probably need to go closer to the top end of your budget though. The Chattahoochee national recreation area has great trails also if you can find something near there.

Again though, really consider your commute, the one to Midtown would be 30-50 minutes each way and depending on what part of Clayton County(the airport area wouldn't be too terrible since you could take I-285 but it still would by no means by ideal).

Have you considered areas like Peachtree City also?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Where exactly do you live now? In the COA?
We are in the Tri-Cities area, in a not so nice zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Have you considered looking further west / south from your job? You could probably find some nice almost rural areas within a somewhat reasonable commute in that direction.

I would be concerned about moving to Cobb right now. I think a lot of people living are worried about what will happen with the traffic and increased taxes with the Braves relocation.

Ah yeah, I didn't think about that part. I deal with a lot of braves traffic now and imagine it could be worse up there. The taxes already seem high, but not any higher than PTC.

I have thought about PTC but wanted to keep the commute to midtown relatively short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I wouldn't recommend anyone who works in Clayton County live in Cobb County. The commute would be terrible unless you work really odd hours. If that isn't an issue to you then you have picked some great areas for what you want. A lot of the Walton district is older subdivisions where the houses are more original and spread out. You would probably need to go closer to the top end of your budget though. The Chattahoochee national recreation area has great trails also if you can find something near there.

Again though, really consider your commute, the one to Midtown would be 30-50 minutes each way and depending on what part of Clayton County(the airport area wouldn't be too terrible since you could take I-285 but it still would by no means by ideal).

Have you considered areas like Peachtree City also?
The commute to Ellenwood/Clayton would be 6am <-> 3:45PM so not horrible hours. I was thinking that would be usually about an hour at those time frames. That is my fear of going too far north and I have considered PTC but thought the commute to Midtown might be dreadful. Especially if you ended up away from 85 towards fayetteville.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Why don't you just live in Ellenwood? Or Henry County?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Why don't you just live in Ellenwood? Or Henry County?

For Ellenwood - Low quality schools and high crime - I already have this in the Tri-Cities. We know those schools well and there is not a chance we would send our kid there.

Henry country is alright - but the traffic is insane. I used to live in McDonough and would spend 2 hours getting home some days.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsmear View Post
Henry country is alright - but the traffic is insane. I used to live in McDonough and would spend 2 hours getting home some days.
Where ever you consider, be sure to do a trial run of your commute so you know what you are getting into. In general, the north side is worse than the south for traffic.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 AM

129 posts, read 211,921 times
Why not look in south Fulton, but west, or some other more western suburbs, it would seem to be less expensive, and not nearly as awful a commute, as so far north. 75 going home for you will be no fun... And where exactly is the "Tri-Cities area", I've lived here 20 years, and never heard that term used here. I have a really hard time figuring the best place to live, since as a musician, I work all over the metro area, and am on the road at different times of day, etc...

And I'm beginning to believe traffic is just a bear everywhere. And yes, having lived in the Vinings/Smyrna area for many years, once that new stadium begins construction, and later, when it's open for games, that 285/75 area is going to be the nightmare of all traffic gridlock nightmares.... I was flabbergasted & outraged they slid that whole deal in, with barely a whisper, and zero input from the Cobb County taxpayers.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
Why not look in south Fulton, but west, or some other more western suburbs, it would seem to be less expensive, and not nearly as awful a commute, as so far north. 75 going home for you will be no fun... And where exactly is the "Tri-Cities area", I've lived here 20 years, and never heard that term used here. I have a really hard time figuring the best place to live, since as a musician, I work all over the metro area, and am on the road at different times of day, etc...

And I'm beginning to believe traffic is just a bear everywhere. And yes, having lived in the Vinings/Smyrna area for many years, once that new stadium begins construction, and later, when it's open for games, that 285/75 area is going to be the nightmare of all traffic gridlock nightmares.... I was flabbergasted & outraged they slid that whole deal in, with barely a whisper, and zero input from the Cobb County taxpayers.
In East Point specifically - I was trying to be generic but don't want to be too confusing. The 'Hapeville/College Park/East Point' area is often referred to as 'Tri-Cities'.

Currently my commute is pretty nice, it could not get much better aside of simply living in Midtown. I have 75 North 90% of the time and Highway 29 when 75 sucks. I have accepted that no matter where we go my commute is going to increase.

The schools west of Atlanta are poor unless you go way west. The first high ranked High School is in Powder Springs - Hillgrove High School. South Fulton has some OK schools but unless you go way south of Fayetteville (or west over to PTC) you will not be in a 'nice' area. I have a hard time believing the commute would be better from South Fayetteville than Walton/East Cobb - but maybe I am being foolish? I have been on 315 and Georgia 85 and its nasty at 4PM. 85 Expressway seems like it would generally be OK - just a long drive to PTC.

My main focus is getting into as 'nice' an area as possible, with excellent schools. EP has spoiled me and I am done with it.

Also, I agree that in 2017, when the stadium is complete, that is going to be nasty. I do deal with that traffic now though, going 75 south, and it backs way up if you are not through it in time. Luckily most games don't start until around 7PM in which case I would be well past that area. That whole deal is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta