Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 AM

42 posts, read 212,482 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the ATL area is like for people with asthma, eczema, and allergies? Is any county better than the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM

15 posts, read 65,819 times
i just recently moved here from los angeles and my allergies are significantly better. can't say why. asthma is about the same but i have a very mild case. i don't have eczema but i noticed my skin is drier out here, i don't know if it's the cold or what. hope that helps!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Atlanta can be a challenge for people with asthma. A long pollen season with an abundance of trees combined with horrid urban air quality means that most allergic and asthmatic people are exposed to their triggers for several months of the year. In addition, our high summer humidity increases molds and dustmites indoors. There is a reason why Atlanta is home to the largest pediatric pulmonology practice in the United States.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My son suffers from allergic asthma most of the year here. Something always seems to be blooming! I have eczema, and it's not as bad as when we lived up north, but worse than when we lived in FL.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM

18 posts, read 57,560 times
Hi,

My son and I just moved about 6 months ago and my son has suffered with asthma and eczema since he was 6 months old. The eczema I fixed when he was 3 months old. My grandmother makes this all natural body balm and it's the only thing that has worked on my son's skin. I suffered with eczema all my life until I figured what triggers it.

These are the triggers:

- Scented soap (Dove unscented is the best to use for those suffering with eczema)
- Scented and dye laundry detergent, bleach or fabric softeners
- Perfumes or colognes sprayed directly on the skin
- Scented bubble bath (definitely not good for women to use...PERIOD)

If you start to change the products you use, you will begin to see a difference in your skin as well as your child's. Unfortunately, Eucerin and Luberaderm (I think I spelled it wrong) doesn't work because of the harmful chemicals and preservatives found in these lotions. Begin to look into natural alternatives.

As far as the asthma, since my son and I have moved here he hasn't had to take any nebulizer treatments. That's a blessing. When we lived in Maryland, my son stayed on his nebulizer and in the hospital.

Hope this helps you!

JDominique

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 55,352 times
I don't have any allergies or asthma, but I can tell you I've never lived anywhere else with such a heavy pollen season. In the spring I have to wash my windshield almost everyday before driving. I don't bother washing my car at all during the pollen months because it's just going to get coated again the next day. It looks sort of trashy having a thick yellow coat of pollen on the car for a few weeks, but I'll have a good excuse this spring: water conservation. Before it was just laziness.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 17,476 times
Default Following your foot steps

We also lived up north for over thirty and just moved to florida two years ago. It is a beautiful place to live and the asthma my children have is rare to see throughout the year here in FL. Fl though is not the family life we thought we would find to better our childrens lives. The crime, drugs, and schools are making us reconsidered a move to E Cobb where we have family. Seeing your quote about the Asthma in GA is giving me something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My son suffers from allergic asthma most of the year here. Something always seems to be blooming! I have eczema, and it's not as bad as when we lived up north, but worse than when we lived in FL.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoustonGriff76 View Post
I don't have any allergies or asthma, but I can tell you I've never lived anywhere else with such a heavy pollen season. In the spring I have to wash my windshield almost everyday before driving. I don't bother washing my car at all during the pollen months because it's just going to get coated again the next day.

You'll hear this from a lot of folks. I'm allergic somewhat to certain pollens, but we've had a couple of Springs in the last few years that nearly sent me to the doctor. Year before last I literally LIVED on Benadryl for 3+ months.

Some folks, like the earlier poster from L.A., don't seem to be bothered to much by it. I've heard of others who had to literally move because of it. It really just depends on what your allergies are.

Regarding asthma though - do keep in mind that Atlanta has a lot of "smog days" in the summer. Numerous "code orange or code red" days where they'll tell people with asthma to limit outdoor activity. If you're an adult I'm sure you can find ways to get around that, but I don't think I'd recommend anyone with young kids with asthma to move intown. The traffic along the connector is so thick and heavy, I'm sure if they tested it the ozone and emissions would be much higher in concentration than if you move a bit further out - NOT good for younger folk's lungs that are not fully developed.

You'll find smog everywhere at certain times of the year unfortunately here. It drifts, so you might see it 30+ miles outside of the city in the summer.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,278 times
SEE WWW.MEGISSPA.COM THEY HAVE SALT CAVE IT IS PERFECT FOR ALLERGIES OR ASTHMA I WAS THER FEW DAYS A GO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: