Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

i only support this if we have rail to the areas that will get the tolls. otherwise you'll have an economic barrier that will prevent poor people from commuting to work. if there's no alternative, toll roads would be a disaster for our metro area that already has a huge economic mobility problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The Obama Administration just proposed a new law that would allow states to turn highways like Interstate 75 or 85 into toll roads
If the state of Georgia wants to do I am okay with it. The money has got to come from somewhere so why not stick it on the users?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
so we pay a toll, for something we already paid for ? (taxes)
Well, we have a precedent - the Peach Pass lanes...

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The whole "only people who use roads should pay for them" is a ridiculous argument unless you want to just eliminate all taxes except sales tax. That way, only people who use things pay for them.
You're right. Apply that same reasoning to, say, public school funding... I'm sure the user fee folks would be up in arms. But, the folks with no school aged kids wouldn't have to pay for someone else to be educated. By the user fee supporters' argument, they should be pleased, but they wouldn't .

While mine is an outlandish example (I hope), it is a logical result of a "user fee for everything" argument.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
It should have two lines. The Democrat and the Republican line. The Republicans can useit for free

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM

62 posts, read 94,833 times
I will support toll roads, when traffic cops aren't allowed to write tickets for speeding, in areas where I have just paid a toll!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

62 posts, read 94,833 times
Also, we (people without children or who are never going to have children) shouldn't have to pay taxes to fund schools. Let those children's PARENTS, not other adults, pay for their own children's education!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
I'm totally for tolls-for new capacity, such as new roads, express lanes or HOT lanes.

I'm totally opposed to tolls on previously free roads. The only justification would be on a temporary basis on massive projects like the Indiana-Kentucky Ohio River bridges project in Louisville where they are rebuilding the I-65 bridge and approach (and actually building a 2nd span).

A lot of anti-road people like to tout a schedule from 3 or 4 years ago that shows that gas taxes only partly pay for roads. But if you look at that schedule in more detail, much of the money goes to transit and other items that aren't roads, so the net result is that gas taxes paid for about 105% of road costs.

Now that % erodes each year, but if gas taxes were only used for roads, there would have been plenty this last decade when there was supposedly a shortage. There's absolutely no need to toll existing roads. Politicians just want to use gas taxes on other things (as they do in Georgia as well) and fear even making a minor increase in gas taxes.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
While mine is an outlandish example (I hope), it is a logical result of a "user fee for everything" argument.
Not so outlandish as you think. You make a good point. I don't have kids, but I pay taxes for local schools and I don't mind because I realize education is important to the future of this country. I may not use every park or library, but I still support those things because I see they have great value and I want good ones nearby.

I'm really confused by the selfishness of people making this argument. If they were tea partiers, I would get it...but people who are otherwise liberals adopting an "I only want to pay for what I use" attitude...that's quite conservative! It's just a case of I'll take whatever side happens to benefit ME.

Tolls would increase the cost of transportation for goods and services. I highly doubt trucks would receive refunds or credits. So you would have a case of everybody paying more for everything, which is a completely regressive tax because the people who can afford it the least would be hit the hardest.

It would also force much more traffic onto local roads, which receive zero federal highway funds, and make traffic and wear and tear on them much worse.

I think that makes it a deal that would not, and should not, happen. And that's me speaking from a standpoint of looking at societal benefits. If it was me, I'd say toll the hell out of every road, because I'd be happy to pay the toll to have a traffic free road. But that's not good for society.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:31 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
What a well thought-out response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta