Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
It should have two lines. The Democrat and the Republican line. The Republicans can useit for free
Oh what a twisted world our politics has become. Where the Republicans expect to line up for a free government hand out and are calling for more taxes to pay for them.

What about you pay for what you use. You are not entitled to my taxes to pay for your commute to the suburbs and vice versa. You choose to live and work where you want and you should pay for your commute in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyb03 View Post
Also, we (people without children or who are never going to have children) shouldn't have to pay taxes to fund schools. Let those children's PARENTS, not other adults, pay for their own children's education!
Just write to check to the police and fire dept when you want to use them too.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM

62 posts, read 94,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just write to check to the police and fire dept when you want to use them too.
Those are public safety needs... Paying for someone else's child to attend school is not even close to being in the same ball park...

Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Those are public safety needs... Paying for someone else's child to attend school is not even close to being in the same ball park...
And this type of thinking is why schools are underfunded and need the help of box tops to raise funds. Funny how schools are not fully funded, but prisons are? Maybe more school funding would result in less need for prisons and jails?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
The Obama Administration just proposed a new law that would allow states to turn highways like Interstate 75 or 85 into toll roads
Awesome, one of the few things they've done right. Paying by use is the most equitable way to build and maintain highways.

Quote:
The gas tax doesn't come close to paying for maintenance. We borrow money to fill the holes. This is such an tried argument.
Yeah, the days of borrowing are over, and it's about time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I doubt they'll slap tolls on the existing highways. Fortunately, a lot of the influential tea party would consider a toll on an existing road to be just another tax and would fight it and most likely win. I'm not above fighting dirty and picking sides when I want. The comment above about the traffic being pushed off onto the surface streets is a good one too.
Half the traffic that's on the Interstates belongs on the surface streets anyway. They don't have the driving skills necessary for the Interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
With what's coming in regards to transportation funding in the not-so-distant future, tolls will not be easy to get away from. The only ways to get away from road tolls in the future will be to stay immediately around in the area where one lives or to use mass transit for longer-distance trips.
I've always wondered why we have to pay a fee every time we ride a train or bus, but never when we use a highway.

Quote:
I will support toll roads, when traffic cops aren't allowed to write tickets for speeding, in areas where I have just paid a toll!
That would require -- -- raising the speed limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It would also force much more traffic onto local roads, which receive zero federal highway funds, and make traffic and wear and tear on them much worse.
Yeah, they're covered by local and state funds, which makes them more manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Oh what a twisted world our politics has become. Where the Republicans expect to line up for a free government hand out and are calling for more taxes to pay for them.
You're not the only one who's noticed the irony, and I say that as a registered Republican myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What about you pay for what you use. You are not entitled to my taxes to pay for your commute to the suburbs and vice versa. You choose to live and work where you want and you should pay for your commute in between.
Well, you don't always choose to work where you want, but you certainly do choose to live where you want.

Ultimately, the main advantage to tolling is that states can control their own destiny when it comes to highway infrastructure. Fast-growing states can use tolls to build new highways, and slow-growing states can use tolls to rebuild existing highways. The population in fast-growing states is rising fast enough to take care of the need for new highways, and the slow-growing states can improve their highways enough to grow a little faster themselves.

Quote:
Maybe more school funding would result in less need for prisons and jails?
Unfortunately, not necessarily. Better parenting has to happen first.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:19 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
So when those uneducated children turn to crime because they are not qualified to get a job, will your opinion change?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
It should have two lines. The Democrat and the Republican line. The Republicans can useit for free
Did you just admit that Republicans are the real freeloaders?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM

62 posts, read 94,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So when those uneducated children turn to crime because they are not qualified to get a job, will your opinion change?
You're assuming that someone who is undereducated is a criminal while also assuming someone who is well educated is a star citizen... Give me a break. A criminal mindset starts with someone's household upbringing not whether they can do geometry or not. People should pay for their own children to attend school. Why should someone who has no children or a child pay the same for schooling as someone who sends three or more children?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
You're assuming that someone who is undereducated is a criminal while also assuming someone who is well educated is a star citizen... Give me a break. A criminal mindset starts with someone's household upbringing not whether they can do geometry or not. People should pay for their own children to attend school. Why should someone who has no children or a child pay the same for schooling as someone who sends three or more children?
Because it is in society's best interest to have a well-educated population. Everyone, with or without kids, benefits from that.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
because we have public education in this country whether you are rich or poor, white or black, muslim or christian. schooling helps break down economic barriers and gives every child an equal chance to succeed. if you don't see the value in that, i can't make you, but don't think that attacking a core american value is going to get people to agree with you on much of anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta