Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
bu2

23,965 posts, read 14,760,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
What's so interesting to me, and what seems to not be reported as much, is how the urban/rural divide has also affected politics. It used to be that Democrats could count on winning a lot of very rural areas of the country, like coal country in Appalachia and areas of the deep south. But that region has become increasingly Republican while cities and these mature suburbs mentioned in the article have really swung towards the Democrats. This probably has a lot to do with GOP rhetoric that really appeals to rural, conservative, traditional voters. Democrats, on the other hand, increasingly tout diversity and better access to programs and services that resonates with people living urban areas, where these issues are more important to them.

Take a look at this gif of how D and R support has changed across Georgia. You can see the metro swing heavily to Democrats while the rural areas get much much redder

I think this pic sums up the article very well. Dems used to win Georgia on the strength of rural areas, but if they ever want to win again here they will need to rely on Metro Atlanta.
Rural southern voters have just gotten away from being yellow dog Democrats and started favoring the Republicans like rural voters in the rest of the country. Even New York and California are a sea of red with little blue patches. Its just that most people in NY and CA live in those blue patches. Republicans have since Lincoln been traditionally sympathetic to the needs of farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,679,355 times
As for the interesting analysis above @ 6:20, I recall during the Bush years when there was much joy & awe emanating from the gop pundit elites over the "red" map of the US that showed a dominant looking sea of red colored counties across the US. Karl Rove's eyes fairly burned with the lust for a new gop tide of long-lasting.
More recently, I have seen a map developed by a university that more prominently weighted the heavily populated counties where the great masses of voters live & in which the "sea of red" counties were less weighted in prominence on that new map given that so many red counties were small in population or barely populated at all.
On another angle, formerly very prominently red suburban counties such as Cobb & Gwinnett that 30 years ago used to vote at margins of close to 70% for republican presidential candidates are maturing & much larger today & their color is turning purple with gop presidential percentages dropping steadily on down through the 50 plus percentage figures.
The writing is on the wall for Georgia.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM

364 posts, read 417,280 times
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/...cartrb1024.png

Here is what I think you meant. Is a map of 2012 election by county with county sizes adjusted based on population.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,793 times
^^^I concur. The future of Georgia politically looks very parallel to the political futures of states like Virginia and Maryland. You either get with the program and take on more social egalitarian perspective or get pushed out. The racial diversity of the Metro Atlanta region will be litmus for the future of Georgia.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,846,635 times
On a related note, looks like the governor's race will be close: 11Alive poll: Deal holds slim lead over Carter

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,331,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/...cartrb1024.png

Here is what I think you meant. Is a map of 2012 election by county with county sizes adjusted based on population.
That actually looks like an exotic butterfly.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,773,338 times
A former Democrat and now a libertarian we need Georgia to stay Republican. We do not want Atlanta to turn into a Chicago with extremely high taxes

Old 05-02-2014, 10:23 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
A former Democrat and now a libertarian we need Georgia to stay Republican. We do not want Atlanta to turn into a Chicago with extremely high taxes
I don't think we need to stay "Republican" I think we need to shift towards more libertarian values. Republicans are guilty of more spending and fiscal irresponsibility recently. Look at how GOP stronghold Cobb has been raising taxes and COA has been selling off properties and cutting waste left and right (of course it has plenty to cut).

The real win is if we can become a purple state where you actually have to be a reasonable candidate that does whats best for the people. Not a shoe-in extremist from either political party.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,720,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't think we need to stay "Republican" I think we need to shift towards more libertarian values. Republicans are guilty of more spending and fiscal irresponsibility recently. Look at how GOP stronghold Cobb has been raising taxes and COA has been selling off properties and cutting waste left and right (of course it has plenty to cut).

The real win is if we can become a purple state where you actually have to be a reasonable candidate that does whats best for the people. Not a shoe-in extremist from either political party.
Fully agree with all of this - I've it's making me spread my "rep" around, but I'd definitely rep you if I could. I agree, extremist on either end isn't a good thing, and that's why I think Carter is a good option for Georgia at the moment. He's not extremely liberal like many democrats - I'd say he's more in the middle, with some conservative views and some liberal. I think it would be a nice change. Deal seemed that way towards the beginning, but as the elections come near, he is becoming more extreme conservative again. At the same time, he is trying to buy votes from educators and other parts of the public sector after years of budget cuts from these areas.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,331,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
jsvh - you and I do agree on something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: