Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM

29 posts, read 55,256 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I might be getting a job that's right near CNN and was wondering if you could tell me which areas we would want to look at that would give me a commute under 30 minutes, plus have a strong school district (our little guy is almost 5, but absolutely loves, loves to learn and is thriving here).

We're coming from the Philly burbs and though I've been to Atlanta only once (for the interview), I was so impressed with the people and the area in general.

Our budget is around the $350-375k, but on the lower side would be nice, of course...

Ok, so quick confession...I honestly have no idea if this area is considered "downtown" or "midtown, " that's how much of a newbie I am when it comes to the area! And does "MARTA" (is that right?) have routes near the CNN/Aquarium area?

Thanks so much - I learn so much from this board and you are all VERY helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
I would consider City of Decatur. Reminds me of Haddonfield, NJ. I am not sure if your budget would quite cut it but others will chime in. If you can make that work I think it is worth it.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
CNN Center/Philips Arena is on MARTA.

You actually have two choices.

1) The actual Philips Arena MARTA stop is right there. It's on the east/west line, and only one miniscule stop away from Five Points, which is the MARTA hub where all lines converge. Therefore, if you are already on the east/west line, using the Philips Arena stop makes a lot of sense. However, most people ride one of the north/south lines, and it doesn't make much sense to change trains at Five Points just for a 30 second train ride to another stop. So.....

2) The Five Points station is just a couple of blocks away. There's a "secret" stairway you can use to easily access it from the CNN Center parking deck, so you don't have to walk all the way around to Marietta Street. Just get use the Forsyth Street exit from Marta, walk down Alabama for a block, and it pretty much dead-ends into a staircase that takes you to the CNN Center deck. The only caveat? This can be quite creepy at night. Five Points is not a good area. However, during the day, it's fine.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
CNN is in the downtown area.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM

29 posts, read 55,256 times
Thanks for the info - especially about MARTA.

We've heard nice things about Decatur and like what we've seen so far; however, sometimes the schools aren't getting a decent rating. Can anyone shed some light as to why, and the difference between North Decatur and Decatur for housing listings?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
You'll find as you research there is a big difference between Decatur city schools (essentially a small charter school system that is top notch) and Dekalb county schools in north Decatur where the school system is not doing well and the real estate prices reflect that. You need zip 30030 for Decatur city schools and even than not all of that zip code is zoned to the city. You'll also see taxes are higher for the city of Decatur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick001 View Post

We've heard nice things about Decatur and like what we've seen so far; however, sometimes the schools aren't getting a decent rating. Can anyone shed some light as to why, and the difference between North Decatur and Decatur for housing listings?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick001 View Post

"City of Decatur" has excellent schools. Some of the better-rated public schools in the state. There is always confusion about the schools for home-seekers coming from out of state, as portions of unincorporated Dekalb County have "Decatur" mailing addresses. Decatur High School is the only high school in the Decatur system . . . some MLS search sites will let you restrict things based on that. Using the zip code of 30030 is a good starting point, although there are pockets of other zip codes inside the city limits as well. $375k does not go far inside Decatur. There has been a huge run-up in property values in the last couple years. In 2012 that could get you a pretty nicely updated 4 bedroom home. Today, you will be fighting 5 other bidders for a 3/2 . . . or fighting developers who want to build a $900k 6/4.5 on the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta