Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM

708 posts, read 999,481 times

Advertisements

Delta adding flights from Atlanta to Europe
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...lights-to.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Meanwhile, in Birmingham they're celebrating this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...t-has-did.html

Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Meanwhile, in Birmingham they're celebrating this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...t-has-did.html
That's good news for them.

But Newsboy, now you've done it. Now BigATL is over there gloating. Embarrassing....

Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
That's good news for them.

But Newsboy, now you've done it. Now BigATL is over there gloating. Embarrassing....
Don't you mean, "Now I has did it!"

Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
This is great news. Non-stops between Atlanta and Europe will be much more convenient and faster than a NYC connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
This is great news. Non-stops between Atlanta and Europe will be much more convenient and faster than a NYC connection.
Not really a faster connection, Delta is just adding flight through its partners Air France and KLM hubs. You still will have to connect in Paris or Amsterdam versus New York to reach your finally destination for other European cities. Delta also cut several non-stop and middle eastern flights like Athens, Greece, Tel Aviv, and Prague.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Oh thanks. I think I'd rather have a connection in the U.S. than in Europe since I'm you know, more familiar with the U.S. and all (lol). I guess this isn't so great after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Not really a faster connection, Delta is just adding flight through its partners Air France and KLM hubs. You still will have to connect in Paris or Amsterdam versus New York to reach your finally destination for other European cities. Delta also cut several non-stop and middle eastern flights like Athens, Greece, Tel Aviv, and Prague.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm ok with that. I like Schiphol. Admittedly, Charles D'Gaulle leaves much to be desired, C'est la vie :/

It is still a good thing for us:

A) they are increasing flights from NYC as well. That option is always there. As is using competing carriers through other airports.

B) Foreign traffic will likely increasingly use ATL as a gateway to the US, which will make doing business in Atlanta cheaper and more convenient.

C) We still have direct connections to Europe's other Main hubs in Rome, London, and Frankfurt

D) This is a biggie for me... (I'm a frequent international flier)... I like having increased time options on flights. Having a high frequency hub to hub backbone allows me to leave/arrive at more convenient times, even with a single connection. It can often be better than some direct flights that only offer daily service and occasionally allows me to save a travel day and maintain the schedule I need before flying. The European hubs often maintain good flight options during the day to most European destinations.

With Athens economy in the tank, most fliers on that route is typically middle age tourist. An extra connection will be inconvenient, but I don't think it will hurt us economically. Service is also still available, especially in the height of tourist season.

Tel Aviv and Prague.. you have a point.

I know it won't happen soon, but I'd really wish we could attract an Emirates flight to Dubai. They really offer good connections to large parts of the Middle east, eastern Europe, Asia, and Australia. When it comes to long-haul routes, I'm all about hubs because they will always increase options faster than point-to-point travel will. The more single connection options we have, the happier I am and the more competitive the market is for Atlanta travelers.

The main complaint I have... Delta needs to bump up their quality of service on long-haul international flights. This means more up-dated plane interiors, clean seats, cabins that don't smell, wide screen in-seat displays, etc... Their international planes are very hit or miss and often feel very similar to domestic long-hauls. The European operated flights are usually better. I use to be a big fan of Lufthansa, but increasingly the places I'm flying I can get better time options with Sky Team.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The main complaint I have... Delta needs to bump up their quality of service on long-haul international flights. This means more up-dated plane interiors, clean seats, cabins that don't smell, wide screen in-seat displays, etc... Their international planes are very hit or miss and often feel very similar to domestic long-hauls. The European operated flights are usually better. I use to be a big fan of Lufthansa, but increasingly the places I'm flying I can get better time options with Sky Team.
Coming from someone on the inside, trust me, they are (undergoing upgrades). They're hit or miss for the moment, but that will change once every plane has undergone the necessary upgrades.

Nothing beats a first class flight to Tokyo fully equipped with a seat that retracts into a completely flat bed. Ahhh.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 AM

I read (I think) that the flights to the UK also include these. Is that right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Coming from someone on the inside, trust me, they are (undergoing upgrades). They're hit or miss for the moment, but that will change once every plane has undergone the necessary upgrades.

Nothing beats a first class flight to Tokyo fully equipped with a seat that retracts into a completely flat bed. Ahhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: