Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM

120 posts, read 175,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Just keep in mind you would have been paying several hundred dollars per year, for many years, under the old system. Yes, it sucks writing that check, but you can't compare the number you write it for to $0.
Well, if I were already a Georgia resident, then I can see how it could be a good deal, but I purchased my SUV just last year and paid over $2000 in tax already. Paying $4000 in taxes within 18 months for my car simply seems ridiculous, especially since I probably won't be keeping it for more than 2 or 3 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
Horrible but at least you have fair warning unlike many people who move here.

How much are you paying in Michigan, out of curiosity? Probably less than $200/year?
I actually had to look it up, and yes, it was less than $200. Frankly, if I can keep my Michigan plate, I will save more than $1200 over the next 3 years (which is about how long I plan to keep it anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I've been through the proof of established residency. I had to come up with a bill from UHaul that originated in the state I moved from, and terminated in GA. I don't see what's soft about that.
Here's what I found on GA DMV website:

Proof of Georgia residency, such as:
  • Lease agreement.
  • Utility bill.
  • Paycheck stub with printed address.
Seems pretty doable to me

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Well, if I were already a Georgia resident, then I can see how it could be a good deal, but I purchased my SUV just last year and paid over $2000 in tax already. Paying $4000 in taxes within 18 months for my car simply seems ridiculous, especially since I probably won't be keeping it for more than 2 or 3 more years.

I actually had to look it up, and yes, it was less than $200. Frankly, if I can keep my Michigan plate, I will save more than $1200 over the next 3 years (which is about how long I plan to keep it anyway).
I'd venture you're going to lose a lot more than 4k on the car just in depreciation if your ownership span is <4 yrs. Georgia overall has a lower average tax burden so you may well be evening out if you plan on staying in the state for more than a year or two. Cayennes aren't the worst at depreciation but they have a long way to go since they aren't cheap vehicles to start (costly to maintain once out of warranty) plus you've got the previous body style.

In the old ad valorem model, you'd probably get hit for 500-600/yr for the next 3 yrs for a car that pricey so it's not exactly a huge change...it's just compressed a bit.

Newer cars + frequent swapping are always pricey ventures. GA is just trying tell you to be a responsible adult and buy a cheap Toyota Camry and drive it for 300,000 miles (about 5yrs of driving here).

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I'd venture you're going to lose a lot more than 4k on the car just in depreciation if your ownership span is <4 yrs. Georgia overall has a lower average tax burden so you may well be evening out if you plan on staying in the state for more than a year or two. Cayennes aren't the worst at depreciation but they have a long way to go since they aren't cheap vehicles to start (costly to maintain once out of warranty) plus you've got the previous body style.

In the old ad valorem model, you'd probably get hit for 500-600/yr for the next 3 yrs for a car that pricey so it's not exactly a huge change...it's just compressed a bit.

Newer cars + frequent swapping are always pricey ventures. GA is just trying tell you to be a responsible adult and buy a cheap Toyota Camry and drive it for 300,000 miles (about 5yrs of driving here).
LOL I got a good chuckle from your post. You are certainly correct on most points. I would say $1200 (the extra money I'd pay in the new tax model) is no chump change. I run a small business that requires a midsize SUV, and I bought an off-lease Cayenne at a lower price than a new mid-trim Toyota Highlander. Camry is great for your average salary-earning commuter, but I don't commute, plus it won't carry 6 moving boxes.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
GA taxes on vehicles is ridiculous. I don't care how anyone wants to paint it but in most states there is a somewhat flat fee every year to register a vehicle. You don't pay any taxes except when you buy it and the tag/sticker fee is the same, manageable price every year.

I actually held off on getting a tag in GA even though my birthday was in April because I was moving back to Ohio. I have an older minivan 2002 and I usually pay $80 plus the emission test price every year in GA, so about $100 a year. In Ohio it is a little over $55 for two years and no emission test where I moved. The ad valorem fees were the reason I never bought a brand new vehicle in GA. I am looking forward to doing just that in the next 18 months and only paying a transfer fee for my 2 year tag to a new vehicle for $5.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Excuse me, but Georgia has (or had) a "birthday tax" ?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Excuse me, but Georgia has (or had) a "birthday tax" ?
Correct, we still have it for current owners but if you buy new or used now, you will transition to the car title fee.

Outside of the fees for car tax (birthday or title tax), GA yearly registration is pretty cheap. I wish, they would add a statewide EMS/Lifeflight fee to our bill.

I wonder, how much the ad valorem charge is in Virginia, Alabama and Mississippi in comparison to GA.

Last edited by PKCorey; 05-13-2014 at 10:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Here's what I found on GA DMV website:

Proof of Georgia residency, such as:
  • Lease agreement.
  • Utility bill.
  • Paycheck stub with printed address.
Seems pretty doable to me
The DMV does not issue registration. But by all means, don't listen to the guy who has been through the process in the last few years, and found it pretty difficult to justify when I actually moved in state.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
GA taxes on vehicles is ridiculous. I don't care how anyone wants to paint it but in most states there is a somewhat flat fee every year to register a vehicle. You don't pay any taxes except when you buy it and the tag/sticker fee is the same, manageable price every year.

I actually held off on getting a tag in GA even though my birthday was in April because I was moving back to Ohio. I have an older minivan 2002 and I usually pay $80 plus the emission test price every year in GA, so about $100 a year. In Ohio it is a little over $55 for two years and no emission test where I moved. The ad valorem fees were the reason I never bought a brand new vehicle in GA. I am looking forward to doing just that in the next 18 months and only paying a transfer fee for my 2 year tag to a new vehicle for $5.
Yes!!! This tax is totally ridiculous. In NJ you pay tax when you buy the vehicle. Then each year you pay a set registation fee based on weight class. I think mine was $72.50 for my Grand Cherokee...

Hmmm life isn't always so sweet on the other side of the fence

Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM

77 posts, read 188,567 times
Quote:
The DMV does not issue registration. But by all means, don't listen to the guy who has been through the process in the last few years, and found it pretty difficult to justify when I actually moved in state.
But the DMV (DDS) does issue your driver's license which you need to have first in order to register your vehicle. They are the ones that require the initial proof of residency. I just moved (back) to Atlanta on Sunday and did all of this yesterday. The county tax office then uses your new driver's license as your proof of residency.

I had no problems with proving my residency in Fulton Co. despite not actually living in my permanent residence (lease starts June 15th and I'm in a temporary location until then). I just showed them my lease and a letter from my new employer that I requested specifically to show my permanent address in the header.

They say they will accept ANY postmarked piece of mail sent to your new address as proof, so I don't think it's a very strict requirement. You also have to have your GA insurance before you can register your car, so that was also a document I could have used.

I guess it CAN be a strict requirement depending on what documents you have, but the list of acceptable documents is pretty long. Maybe some counties also require more than just your new GA driver's license, but that's all that Fulton needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta