Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

Please note that many of the homeless in the park would go to the public library until the shelters would open. Atlanta public library downtown has significantly cut back operating hours. For instance instead of opening at 9am like before, they now open at 12 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 4,966 times
Utah solved homelessness by giving people homes. In 2005, Utah figured out that the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for homeless people was about $16,670 per person, compared to $11,000 to provide each homeless person with an apartment and a social worker. So, the state began giving away apartments, with no strings attached. Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:44 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Just curious, Did they ask you for money to buy drugs?
Do they ever tell anyone that?? I don't think so. They always say they need money for food, but when you offer them actual food instead of money, they're not so interested if there is an ulterior motive. Would anyone actually hand over money to someone that says they need it for drugs? Exactly. So, I'm not sure why you even posed that question.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Yes, its part of any downtown but the numbers of them and their aggressive behavior that keeps many from going downtown cannot be ignored if downtown is to be successful and revived. Sorry, but such harrassing behavior shouldn't be tolerated by anyone and there is a reason why many have a negative perception of downtown.
I absolutely agree!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyanlalove View Post
Utah solved homelessness by giving people homes. In 2005, Utah figured out that the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for homeless people was about $16,670 per person, compared to $11,000 to provide each homeless person with an apartment and a social worker. So, the state began giving away apartments, with no strings attached. Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.
I think this is an awesome idea. I used to work with my church, and every Saturday we would make sack lunches, and go downtown to the park (not sure the name, it was near the Westin Hotel) and pass them out, along with some hygiene supplies for those who needed them. It got to the point those guys (and some ladies) would be waiting for us when we arrived, and looked forward to my pastor doing his little sermonette and prayer.

As we interacted with them, and listened to their stories, I became surprisingly aware that being homeless doesn't automatically equal being some violent, degenerate loser. Some have RESORTED to that by default, but didn't start that way. I spoke with everyone from guys that had master's degrees and PhDs, to those who had a drug problem; some had gotten divorced or had a death in their family, and just never emotionally recovered. I even talked to a guy from a very wealthy family, who was the "black sheep" of sorts, and after several family confrontations, wanted nothing to do with them for lack of feeling he didn't belong. This is when I realized that homelessness is a very, very, complex problem, but I agree with other posters that something must be done. Those that harass others, or are violent must be address; as well as those just hanging out for lack of somewhere to go, and begging for money for whatever reason. It's not a good look for any city. I'm actually looking to buy a condo next year, and there are a lot of awesome properties downtown, but things like this make me think twice.

I used to live in Sacramento, CA, and when I first got there, I stopped in San Francisco. I was shocked at the amount of homeless people; I just wasn't prepared for what I saw. The city of SF has been battling their homeless problem for some time.

I think Atlanta would benefit greatly from something like what they're doing in Utah. Good for them that they've found something that works!

Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 PM

226 posts, read 276,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyanlalove View Post
Some of the homeless folks have expensive weave (stolen) and stiletto nails. Just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: