Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times

Advertisements

I disagree that it is only the problem of those attending those schools. I do think poor education is all of our problem. However, we will have to agree to disagree.

Yes. I have always been an education advocate/volunteer, since early college days. Why do you ask? There is much work to be done and education is the route that is established in the U.S. for people to be able to move up from one generation to the next so I see it as one of the most important aspects/vehicles of our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I said what I did because I think it's up to the parents to attend school board meetings, and question the expenditures. That needs to come from the grass root level of those most affected. Right or wrong, you are not going to see needed support from those who are pleased with their schools.

And, I understand your child is not enrolled in these poorly run districts, but your husband works for them. If he didn't, would it matter as much to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I said what I did because I think it's up to the parents to attend school board meetings, and question the expenditures. That needs to come from the grass root level of those most affected.

This. Excellent post.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 AM

I guess the catch is that you don't know that your principal MAY have had money for books until you find out 1. that principals have discretion to spend in the manner they decide and 2. other schools, within the same district, possibly 1-2 miles away, are spending differently. Oh, and you actually get to see the principal's budget, line item by line item (I'm sure they break open the books very easily, no problem, by the way). And you get to see another principal's budget so that you begin to have a basis for understanding the possibilities of a budget and what expenditures may be questionable (as being too large or too little). You see?

If you don't happen to know, you ask (this happens) and are told there is no money (this happens)...which is not hard to believe given that kids are in trailers in woods for classes, counselors/psychologists are shared between multiple schools every week, a school nurse is not guaranteed unless there are kids with special conditions at the school, and the general idea that there is a bit of a need for more money in schools across the country (widespread belief within and outside Georgia). So maybe there is mismanagement. Almost certainly. I agree.

However, here is the rub: if you don't know 1 and 2, how would you know to form a grassroots effort to change 1 and 2? This is why my post asks about regulation at the state level to secure books (for example) for kids.

The state (or perhaps the county) is the only body with a bird's eye view of *everything* going on budgetwise in the state (or county), right?

Given that, does it make sense for the state (or county) to take a role in this matter? Is it more efficient to put a rule in place to curb this type of thing upfront or just have kids without books and let parents try to force the principal to do differently next year (since the principal has surely already spent the money for the year by the time it comes out that there won't be any math books this year).

Or maybe the government should just stay out of it because less government is always better?

On another note (not directed to Aries, just rambling in general):
We talk about more rural areas having less resources because the amount of the taxes in the area and that maybe this is a possible reason for Georgia having the appearance of less than optimal public schools statewide. However, the reality is that even in the metro area there is apparently disparity with regard to kids having something as fundamental as a full set of books. Fulton County, CoA, Clayton County so far based on this thread. This does not appear to be all about money but also money management. This could be contributing to the issues with Georgia public education as well. If the money is being collected but there is too much discretion in spending then what is the good of the money being collected? The children are no better off than those without the money for books in the rural areas. The same poor education results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This. Excellent post.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 05-13-2014 at 12:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
I don't think that in strong school systems, you find discrepancies in resources, provided by the system.

In Gwinnett, which is a definitely a top down governance structure, I suspect that principals have much less discretion in some areas. I know that professional development is delivered in a very unified manner, for example. In DeKalb, principals are often left on their own for decision making, etc. I imagine per pupil resources are pretty well defined in Gwinnett.

I have often argued, that regardless of the challenges facing a school, if there is a strong principal at the helm, one who is willing to do the right thing in spite of impact on their career, a school WINS. In DeKalb, far too many mediocre (or worse) principals are at the helm of really poor performing schools. These men and women often have connections with the central office and are never held accountable. In exchange, they don't ask for resources like books, paper etc.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So maybe the problem isn't that the principal has budgetary discretion, but that some principals don't have a good grasp on the needs of their schools?
The general consensus in DeKalb is that the school district doesn't have any grasp and little interest in the needs of the schools. We would like to see the principals have more discretion (and as lastminutemom points out-better principals at some schools).

Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM

Thanks LMM. That was very insightful. Are books examples of resources typically provided by the system? Would a resource provided by the system be different from one purchased by a principal via the principal's budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I don't think that in strong school systems, you find discrepancies in resources, provided by the system.

In Gwinnett, which is a definitely a top down governance structure, I suspect that principals have much less discretion in some areas. I know that professional development is delivered in a very unified manner, for example. In DeKalb, principals are often left on their own for decision making, etc. I imagine per pupil resources are pretty well defined in Gwinnett.

I have often argued, that regardless of the challenges facing a school, if there is a strong principal at the helm, one who is willing to do the right thing in spite of impact on their career, a school WINS. In DeKalb, far too many mediocre (or worse) principals are at the helm of really poor performing schools. These men and women often have connections with the central office and are never held accountable. In exchange, they don't ask for resources like books, paper etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: