Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,575 times

Advertisements

1. Budget
Around $1500/Month (less if possible, something in the middle/upper middle)
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
House preferred - with a one or two car garage.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
commute to work near the intersection of 400 and 141
4. Children(public school vs. private)
currently mix of public and homeschool
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
suburban - willing to consider urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
probably mostly white - just because that's what we are used to - but very concerned to avoid racism if possible... is it possible in GA - excuse my ignorance, born and bread in the NW and the stories from the south break my heart

Kids are 13 and 9.
[LEFT]Our priorities are:
price, commute time (under 30 minutes or via transit would be fine), safety and schools

I have seen good things about Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Decatur, but not sure of the reality of those things and if the commute times would be tolerable.

Thank you for any advice you can give.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Live near work. Sandy Springs or Dunwoody are both pretty good choices, although most people would agree that Fulton County schools overall are better than DeKalb...but both systems have excellent individual schools in those areas.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
First of all -- which END of 400 are you looking at? 141 intersects it in two places -- one to the north, in Suwanee, and on the southern end of 400, in Buckhead. Our answers are going to be VERY different, depending on your location!!

Where, approximately, will you be working? Buckhead? Midtown? Downtown? Perimeter? Need a little more guidance in order to give you reasonable options, since commute time is such a strong consideration here.

How many bedrooms? I'm assuming 3, with two kids.

So, assuming that you are looking at the Buckhead end of 400/141, let's just say this right now: $1500 isn't going to cut it for a 3-BR. Around that area, you can't touch a 3-BR ANYTHING (condo, house, etc.) for less than $2500, and generally around $3000+.

You're looking at commutes, but unless we know about where you're working, we can't advise you realistically.

And in answer to your question about "very concerned to avoid racism if possible -- is it possible in GA". I can't help but chuckle that in the same sentence, you can say "probably mostly white" and then start agonizing over racism. There are racist people all over who target blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc. for their own preconceptions. If you don't like racism -- don't engage in it. Problem solved. Stories from Georgia break your heart? Well, they broke my heart, too, when I visited the Midwest and the only thing people knew about Georgia is from that hideous "Honey-Boo-Boo" and "Real Housewives of Atlanta". Gag. Leave your stereotypes behind, please. :-) We'll make a deal with you: We'll assume you aren't flannel-clad, coffee-swilling lumberjacks who secretly wish you were Canadian if you assume we aren't all plantation dwellers with a hidden slave shack out back, ok?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
You want to avoid racism, but would prefer a mostly white neighborhood?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Thanks all.

"You want to avoid racism, but would prefer a mostly white neighborhood?"
Point taken. Yes, I want to avoid racism, I dunno know why I said mostly white. I honestly would feel really weird being part of the minority. The community I live in currently is 80% white, and less than .5% identified as 'black only' *very* white. There are all of two blacks in my neighborhood and 2 mixed. Yes, I notice race. Yes, all are welcome. I wish I knew both better than I do, one is only two doors down from me and the only black man on my street. Nicest guy and he is WELCOME. What I don't want is to live in a place where a non-white would be unwelcome. Does that make any sense? Honestly, yes, because of familiarity, I would probably be more comfortable in a mostly 'white' community... do I really care, no. Far more important is that everyone is WELCOME - regardless of skin color or anything else for that matter.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
First of all -- which END of 400 are you looking at? 141 intersects it in two places -- one to the north, in Suwanee, and on the southern end of 400, in Buckhead. Our answers are going to be VERY different, depending on your location!!
(Thanks for asking for clarification. I'm still getting the lay of the land). The office is located near Phipps Plaza - the southwest corner of Brookhaven. DH consider a reasonable commute time to be 20-30 minutes. (He currently spends 1.5 hours commuting each way, most of the time on one form of mass transit or another.) He thinks driving to the north end of the MARTA line out in Sandy Springs would work.

Quote:
How many bedrooms? I'm assuming 3, with two kids.
Yes, three bedrooms, preferably with room for a 40lb dog - medium size lab, beagle mix. What is the best way to find rental homes? Property management companies. For the cost of living being 'lower' there than Seattle, rent seems expensive, but we have owned for a lock time, so it is probably just sticker shock

Quote:
So, assuming that you are looking at the Buckhead end of 400/141, let's just say this right now: $1500 isn't going to cut it for a 3-BR. Around that area, you can't touch a 3-BR ANYTHING (condo, house, etc.) for less than $2500, and generally around $3000+.

You're looking at commutes, but unless we know about where you're working, we can't advise you realistically.
Thank you. I think realistically, dh is going to be looking at a commute, it is just hard to tell how bad the commutes are. I here good things about East Cobb, schools, etc. Any ideas how horrid the commute traffic is for that one?

Quote:
And in answer to your question about "very concerned to avoid racism if possible -- is it possible in GA". I can't help but chuckle that in the same sentence, you can say "probably mostly white" and then start agonizing over racism. There are racist people all over who target blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc. for their own preconceptions. If you don't like racism -- don't engage in it. Problem solved. Stories from Georgia break your heart? Well, they broke my heart, too, when I visited the Midwest and the only thing people knew about Georgia is from that hideous "Honey-Boo-Boo" and "Real Housewives of Atlanta". Gag. Leave your stereotypes behind, please. :-) We'll make a deal with you: We'll assume you aren't flannel-clad, coffee-swilling lumberjacks who secretly wish you were Canadian if you assume we aren't all plantation dwellers with a hidden slave shack out back, ok?
I love it - a tad snarky, but completely honest. I am a bit wide-eyed on the potential of all of this. I don't watch Honey-boo boo or the RHoA (GAG!) I'll do my best to leave my stereotypes behind, honest. Never even thought of a slave shack out back, think I could get one for time out for my kids? (jk! ) I'm not so much of a lumberjack, but I am a sock with my birkenstocks sort of girl and part hippy. And coffee... oooh love me some coffee... I totally fit that stereotype, french press and the whole dang yuppy thing, though I don't grind my own beans.

The two things that shocked me on a *VERY* brief visit to Atlanta some 10 years ago were the number of blacks in the service sector at the airport. I don't think I saw a single white dude carting luggage around. That was weird to me. I don't know why. Am a jerk for noticing, maybe, but it stood out to me. The second thing that made my kind of sad was talking to a young man while waiting for a cab or something he noticed that I was from out of town (literally the socks with sandals! no, i don't do that anymore)... and asked if it was true that you wouldn't be threatened with violence for interracial dating out in Seattle. Maybe he was flirting with me, I am incredibly socially awkward (I know, socks with sandals girl is socially awkward, there's a shocker!), but yeah that made me sad. I am not used to in your face stuff like that. There are jerks everywhere to be certain, but there is a stereotype of the south being worse about it. If that is false - I am much relieved.

Thank you again - really - especially for your frankness.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajones View Post
Thanks all.

"You want to avoid racism, but would prefer a mostly white neighborhood?"
Point taken. Yes, I want to avoid racism, I dunno know why I said mostly white. I honestly would feel really weird being part of the minority. The community I live in currently is 80% white, and less than .5% identified as 'black only' *very* white. There are all of two blacks in my neighborhood and 2 mixed. Yes, I notice race. Yes, all are welcome. I wish I knew both better than I do, one is only two doors down from me and the only black man on my street. Nicest guy and he is WELCOME. What I don't want is to live in a place where a non-white would be unwelcome. Does that make any sense? Honestly, yes, because of familiarity, I would probably be more comfortable in a mostly 'white' community... do I really care, no. Far more important is that everyone is WELCOME - regardless of skin color or anything else for that matter.
It's the South. You'll be welcomed, no problem. We're good at that. :-) Just like you, everyone chooses where they want to live where they feel they will be affordably comfortable, where their family will be comfortable, and where their kids will have an opportunity at a good education. We often gets posts from ethnic Asians who want to be in areas with other Asians -- simply because those areas tend to have access to restaurants and foods that they are familiar with, yet no one accuses them of being "racist". The opportunity to live anywhere you want is wide open -- where you choose to live is up to you, no one is throwing up "STAY OUT" signs. Atlanta has become quite the melting pot. Are there ignorant people around? Sure. And sometimes they say and/or do ignorant things. But there are ignorant people everywhere.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
(Thanks for asking for clarification. I'm still getting the lay of the land). The office is located near Phipps Plaza - the southwest corner of Brookhaven. DH consider a reasonable commute time to be 20-30 minutes. (He currently spends 1.5 hours commuting each way, most of the time on one form of mass transit or another.) He thinks driving to the north end of the MARTA line out in Sandy Springs would work.
Expensive real estate, there. There's the Buckhead MARTA station, and the Brookhaven MARTA station, but I'm sensing he's looking at Buckhead as the closest station to work. To be honest, driving to the North Springs MARTA station, parking and getting a train would probably take just as long as driving the extra 3 or 4 miles to the Phipps/Lenox area. That kind of commute might make sense if you worked downtown -- but it would a hassle for Phipps/Lenox.

Quote:
Yes, three bedrooms, preferably with room for a 40lb dog - medium size lab, beagle mix. What is the best way to find rental homes? Property management companies. For the cost of living being 'lower' there than Seattle, rent seems expensive, but we have owned for a lock time, so it is probably just sticker shock
Realtor.com would carry the rentals that are listing on the multiple listing services here. Craigslist is big, here, for real estate rentals. Also try PadMapper.com (nice mapping, and it shows Craigslist ads), as well as HotPads.com. Property management companies -- not so much, honestly. You wouldn't have as big a selection, they would steer you only to the ones they represent.

Quote:
Thank you. I think realistically, dh is going to be looking at a commute, it is just hard to tell how bad the commutes are. I here good things about East Cobb, schools, etc. Any ideas how horrid the commute traffic is for that one?
From East Cobb to Phipps/Lenox -- not too bad -- definitely in the 30-40 minute range, depending on where in East Cobb (it's a big county). Another area to consider is Smyrna -- still Cobb County schools, maybe not the very top ones, but still good -- the prices in the very top school districts are still going to be just a bit out of reach. Anything Roswell and north is going to be a 45 minute commute, with or without MARTA. Getting out to Cumming or Suwanee and the commute is about an hour. Another area to consider is over in the University Heights area off Druid Hills Road, just to the east of I-85. It's unincorporated Decatur, towards the northern end. Clairmont would make the Buckhead commute relatively easy. Another area to consider is north Brookhaven/Chamblee.

Quote:
The two things that shocked me on a *VERY* brief visit to Atlanta some 10 years ago were the number of blacks in the service sector at the airport. I don't think I saw a single white dude carting luggage around. That was weird to me. I don't know why. Am a jerk for noticing, maybe, but it stood out to me. The second thing that made my kind of sad was talking to a young man while waiting for a cab or something he noticed that I was from out of town (literally the socks with sandals! no, i don't do that anymore)... and asked if it was true that you wouldn't be threatened with violence for interracial dating out in Seattle. Maybe he was flirting with me, I am incredibly socially awkward (I know, socks with sandals girl is socially awkward, there's a shocker!), but yeah that made me sad. I am not used to in your face stuff like that. There are jerks everywhere to be certain, but there is a stereotype of the south being worse about it. If that is false - I am much relieved.
Well, one of the reasons why there were so many African Americans working at the airport is that the population of Atlanta has a much higher percentage of African Americans than Seattle does. It's about 1/3 African American, 10% Hispanic, 55% Caucasian, etc., etc. In Seattle, African-Americans are less than 6% of the population. So yes, there's a visible difference. The airport is named after William B. Hartsfield, who led Atlanta successfully through the minefield of the Civil Rights era, and Maynard Jackson, the first African-American mayor of Atlanta who was instrumental in developing the airport into the powerhouse that it is today. The airport is a major employer in Atlanta. As far as the young man you encountered -- I think there was a bit of flirting going on, there. Or else he's from out of town, too, and has his own preconceptions. :-)

Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Not to get off the subject, but I have found that many people in the PNW have a skewed view of race relations simply because they live in a region that has very few black people. They think that they're enlightened and liberal when it comes to race, when the reality is they're just seldom confronted with it and thus don't have to deal with it. When they travel to parts of the country with large African-American populations, it's quite a shock. Some discover hidden biases they didn't realize they harbored. Others see racism where it doesn't exist.

On the flip side, when I travel to places that are mostly white, it strikes me as odd. Walking into a restaurant or store or airport or bank or hotel and not seeing a single black face working there can be very disconcerting.

TO THE OP: Georgia is not Washington, but if you come with an open mind and adventurous attitude you'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 PM

You're not kidding when you say that there are few African Americans here. 6% in Seattle, and it is even more white in the suburb I am in. I grew up in Tacoma - much more diverse, but still pretty white - and Asian, some Hispanics, but not many.

I'm excited to see and meet new people, and terrified at the same time. All my friends and family are here.

Thanks so much for the tip on padfinder.com - fantastic resource!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta