Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This tripe--hell, the whole article--is really just a "things were better back in the good old days" rant disguised as pseudointellectual commentary. The haters need to grow up. We're in the 21st century now.
Well, the man has a Ph.D. and has pretty much spent his whole life studying urban landscapes. I'm just glad to have somebody on our side for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
If you're wondering what type of suburban set up I find ideal, think of Vinings. Well most of it anyway. All of the trees and hills your heart desires, but there isn't a one mile trek from your front door to the street.

It was just a little off putting to see this type of suburbia so close to downtown. I typically associate this level of sprawl with the exurbs. North Druid Hills

My solution: instead of devoting large swaths of land to private ownership, give the land to the public and create many parks and green spaces. Not that Atlanta exactly lacks these things of course.
Yeah, cities almost never grow into older suburbs and incorporate them into the city limits. That has happened in SO many places, and if you want to criticize Atlanta for it then have at it. I think many of us are just sick of people like you saying things like that.

The area in question was developed like 50 years ago. It may have been sprawl when it was built, but by today's standards it's just closer-in older suburbs with nice-sized yards...or exactly what most people seem to want. If you don't, then don't live there. North Druid Hills is an immensely popular area and it's laughable that you would single it out as "sprawl".

Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That is very immature. Does debate bother you that much? Why do you have such a problem with people who think differently than you do?
You seem to be the one that has a problem with the way other people think. Are you upset that suburban life is the first choice of the majority? Or are you just upset that Atlanta has so much of it to offer therefore remains one of the fastest-growing cities in the U.S.? I can't tell which, but either way the problem seems to be that it isn't your lifestyle of choice. It isn't actually mine either, but people make their own choices that work best for them. You don't have a say in it.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Its not necessary the suburbs that is the problem, but its how atlanta suburbs are created into disconnected sidewalk-less communities of subdivision.
That is a gross generalization that is blatantly false. Some are better than others, but Atlanta suburbs certainly aren't all the way you describe them - just like they aren't all alike anywhere.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Just for the record, a lot of suburbs have great sidewalks. A lot of intown areas don't.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM

145 posts, read 200,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah, cities almost never grow into older suburbs and incorporate them into the city limits. That has happened in SO many places, and if you want to criticize Atlanta for it then have at it. I think many of us are just sick of people like you saying things like that.
I'm sure you've shared some unsavory opinions about other cities that their residents are probably sick of hearing as well.

Quote:
The area in question was developed like 50 years ago. It may have been sprawl when it was built, but by today's standards it's just closer-in older suburbs with nice-sized yards...or exactly what most people seem to want. If you don't, then don't live there. North Druid Hills is an immensely popular area and it's laughable that you would single it out as "sprawl".
I didn't single it out. I used it as an example.

I think you guys are being needlessly defensive about this entire issue. This is a forum where the whole idea is to discuss these matters. You will not agree with what everyone has to say here. You're not supposed to.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Atlanta was wise to take advantage of the large amount of federal highway funds it did during the 60s - 90s. Atlanta would not be as large as it was without it. It shifted money from the rest of the US to Atlanta metro and gave us an advantage. Of course that was bad federal policy that is now winding down. But just because Atlanta sprawled out after a federal tax fund binge at others expense doesn't mean sprawl is good.

People should have a choice to spend their money to live their life the way they want. Rather it is in a sprawling suburb or in the city. But we currently are giving discounts for people to drive to the suburbs at the expense of the city. We need to roll back the incentives for people to sprawl out and let them make the choice for themselves.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Just for the record, a lot of suburbs have great sidewalks. A lot of intown areas don't.
I can agree with that.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Atlanta was wise to take advantage of the large amount of federal highway funds it did during the 60s - 90s. Atlanta would not be as large as it was without it. It shifted money from the rest of the US to Atlanta metro and gave us an advantage. Of course that was bad federal policy that is now winding down. But just because Atlanta sprawled out after a federal tax fund binge at others expense doesn't mean sprawl is good.

People should have a choice to spend their money to live their life the way they want. Rather it is in a sprawling suburb or in the city. But we currently are giving discounts for people to drive to the suburbs at the expense of the city. We need to roll back the incentives for people to sprawl out and let them make the choice for themselves.
I only wish that Atlanta had done like DC and used a huge chunk of those funds for transit expansion instead.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
I'm sure you've shared some unsavory opinions about other cities that their residents are probably sick of hearing as well.

I didn't single it out. I used it as an example.

I think you guys are being needlessly defensive about this entire issue. This is a forum where the whole idea is to discuss these matters. You will not agree with what everyone has to say here. You're not supposed to.
Why shouldn't Atlantans be defensive? They live in a metro area that is constantly being held up as the poster child of sprawl and poor development, yet which remains one of the most vibrant economies in the world and a great place to live.

I can't think of one regular poster on the Atlanta forum who is in denial about the challenges facing Metro Atlanta. We talk about them all the time. It dominates nearly every discussion, whether it be about the Braves' move to Cobb County, the future of MARTA or something as basic as a relocation question about best schools and commute times.

The difference between you and them is, you're an outsider looking in. Where Atlantans see a glass half full, you see it half empty. Atlantans see the city from the perspective of progress, of exciting projects that are moving the city forward at an amazing pace. You have no history here. Your opinion of Atlanta is tainted by the fact you have no first-hand knowledge of where it's been. You just keep repeating the tired refrain that it shouldn't be what it is.

So let me ask again: Why shouldn't we be defensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta