Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 AM

31 posts, read 63,803 times

Advertisements

First, let me thank you for reading this thread. Yes, I've spent days searching through and reading all the threads for relocating throughout the states, but now I need the information to be more personalized. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Me: will be 32 in January, single with no kids, mixed (black/white) male from OH. Born and raised in OH, lived in east PA for part of college, west OH the other part. Spent 2 years in San Diego and the last 4-1/2 years back in OH. Absolutely LOVE San Diego -- the almost-perfect city -- but, the cost of living is outrageous and I'd like to own a home, not live in a box.

Employment: Worked in real estate lending for past 4 years, currently laid-off, and have no desire to get back into the "corporate" rat race. (Not an everyday suit-and-tie guy.) Have a BA in Business, concentrating in Sports Management, and want to FINALLY "use" it, along with my entrepreneurial spirit, to become a personal trainer / strength & conditioning coach and one day open my own facility.

Hobbies: I love movies! I shoot music videos for local artists, but want to expand upon my art and pursue filming a feature, short films, and possible a web-based series. Like to physically challenge myself, beginning MMA-style training, never climbed a rock and now want to go for Everest -- don't ask why, don't know.

Need or Want: Sunshine, doesn't have to be hot, just sunny. I like the idea of mountains being near and the beach being close, too (Raleigh). A place to move upward in life, reach my goals while living a good quality of life. Love women, Latin, Asian, White, Black -- funny, I really have no "types" in particular, diversity. One day, want to be married, start a family. This next stop doesn't have to be my final, but it would be nice if I COULD lay my roots there. Being able to find a job within my desired field, while expanding upon my filmmaking / TV is a must. I could go on, but you get the point...

I need your help! I know LA is diverse and a great place for film, but I don't want to spend my life, raise a family one day, etc. in a tiny apartment I'd have to scrape by to afford. I've heard and read great things about Austin, but don't know if I'm a Texas-type-of-guy (plus, my very serious ex lives there). ATL? I've only been to the airport. I did trek across NC for a week years ago and loved it, though. I just don't know. HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Well, both Atlanta and NC will offer about the same amount of sunshine and affordable housing, though NC still seems to have lower housing prices. One big caveat would be that you're not going to get too far on a personal trainer's salary- especially starting out- alot of the trainers at the gyms do it more for the free memberships and the exposure, as the salaries are generally very low, like sub-$10/hour. Now, if you can share an apartment with someone else and scrape by until you've built up a reputation and a clientele, you'll do well- there's no shortage of people with more money than they know what to do with who are willing to drop some decent $$ for a personal trainer. Do you have any certifications? And more importantly, do you "look" the part? No one wants a flabby trainer.....lol.

BTW- My wife has family in LA and we've spent alot of time there- it's not all it looks to be on TV, and in reality it's quite the dump. I'd forget LA unless you've got some earthshattering idea for a movie that's sure to be a hit- and even then, there's thousands of other folks who moved there with the same idea.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks Bob! I know I'll be working multiple jobs for a while, but that's all good. And yes, I look the part (LOL). I played college sports, worked for Bally's when I first graduated college, and train daily. I'll be studying for my certification, hopefully before the move.

Oh, and the LA comment, I know! That's another reason I'm interested in other parts of the country.

Bob, do you know what cities would be more "for me?" Raleigh, Charlotte? I plan on visiting my top two selections -- wherever they might be throughout the country -- but, any ideas might start me off properly.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDEI View Post

Bob, do you know what cities would be more "for me?" Raleigh, Charlotte? I plan on visiting my top two selections -- wherever they might be throughout the country -- but, any ideas might start me off properly.
I really can't comment on which NC city would be more appropriate for you. When we looked at NC, we did so from a "family-oriented" perspective, and took into account the industry I work in, and narrowed down to Charlotte and Atlanta. We ended up in Atlanta, which I think was the right choice for us. For a single guy like yourself, Atlanta would be a great choice IMO, but I really can't say which NC city would be best.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Sorry about that. I have this thread in a couple cities -- for the most responses and info -- and forgot to check where you live. Any info on ATL? I read alot about crime and traffic. Traffic sucks and I wouldn't like it, but oh well, it's part of living in most big cities. Crime, well same goes true, but I see the crime in ATL seems more common. Also, any idea of the areas to look into for a place. I don't want to live too far from the "happening" areas or downtown, but I don't want to live in the center. Also, I don't want my car stolen or to get shot. : )

Again, thanks for all your help, Bob.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Well, L.A. is out 'cause if you can't afford the cost of living in San Diego, L.A. isn't any better. Though the film career stands a better chance there.

In NC: Charlotte is growing almost like Atlanta did in the early 80s. That's good or bad depending on how you look at it. Asheville is much smaller, but it's a very diverse town with a big arts community. Both of them are the most affordable of all the areas, but in some fields probably also have the lowest pay.

Atlanta is what it is. Lots of jobs. A growing (slowly) film and movie market. Overall strong economy. Affordable homes compared to other cities this size. You pay for it with poor air quality, high crime, and traffic similar to L.A.

Texas is ok, but the heat and humidity in the summer can just about kill you. Dallas/Houston are more business oriented (banking, finance, etc) I think rather than other stuff. Not as diverse as the other areas.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks, Atlanta Greg! How do you like living in the ATL? Any areas a newbie should look for housing?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Note: In the South, LA means either Louisiana or Lower Alabama!lol! Use L.A., everybody will know you mean Los Angeles.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Southlander, you're funny! Where I'm from, LA is sometimes called Lower Akron. : )

Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDEI View Post
Thanks, Atlanta Greg! How do you like living in the ATL? Any areas a newbie should look for housing?
Overall ATLANTA is ok I guess, but it's changed for the worse in many ways over the years. I moved here in 1984 when the metro population was around 2 million, and now it's just over 5 million, so the uncontrolled growth has been a serious issue here. The Atlanta I moved to is not the Atlanta of today. When I moved here you could drive across the top-end perimeter beltway in 15 minutes during rush hour on pretty much any day. Really.

I now live in the burbs and am just over 40 years old, so Atlanta no longer does it for me. I'm in the process of trying to evaluate how to relocate myself, but of course it's very costly to do, so it may not happen. For others, or for the young, Atlanta may be "it". It's not my "it" any longer I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: