Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,774 times

Advertisements

Hello! We're relocating our family of four (me, husband, 4 year old, and newborn) to Peachtree City from the central coast of California. We won't have time to visit beforehand (I'm actually 38 weeks pregnant, and we need to be in PTC by mid-July for my husband's job). Needless to say, we need some help!

We're planning on renting first. I was wondering if there are any neighborhoods to avoid in PTC and any that are particularly excellent for young kids (our 4 year old daughter is extremely social and would love to live in a neighborhood full of kids). I know there is a similar thread on here, but it dates back to 2009! I know a lot can change in 5 years.

I assume we want to avoid the Fairfield subdivision since it's close to 74 and the train. How is the area west of 74? I've seen some nice rentals over there.

We're not too concerned about what school we're close to since our daughter will probably do pre-K at a private institution, and we may move after a year, when she will start kindergarten (not to mention that all of the schools in PTC seem excellent).

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
What subdivisions have you found west 74 that interest you? The ONLY subdivision I've ever heard of having a "bad" rap is Wynnemeade, which is west of 74. I'm not sure if it's true, having known no one that lived there.

We lived in Fairfield when we first moved to PTC, and later turned it into a rental. We no longer own it. But, we rented it to several families over the years.

Planterra is loaded w/young kids but it's one of those subdivision you either love or hate. I have friends in both camps.

HTH! Welcome! Most families love PTC

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
What's your price range?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,774 times
Thank you for the response!

Our top-range would be about 1800, but we'd like to stay below that if possible. The house that caught my eye was in a subdivision called Chadsworth at Ashton Reserve (I think?). It's close to Wynnemeade, which I have heard to avoid. Another rental we're considering is over by McIntosh Trail Rec Complex.

Fairfield looks like it has some beautiful rental homes, but I am worried about the train noise.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazee View Post
Thank you for the response!

Our top-range would be about 1800, but we'd like to stay below that if possible. The house that caught my eye was in a subdivision called Chadsworth at Ashton Reserve (I think?). It's close to Wynnemeade, which I have heard to avoid. Another rental we're considering is over by McIntosh Trail Rec Complex.

Fairfield looks like it has some beautiful rental homes, but I am worried about the train noise.
Not familiar with Chadsworth. It appears to be in Wilksmor Village which is a fine area except traffic can be very bad because there's only one way in and out. Developer John Wieland just got permission last week to complete McDuff Parkway linking Hwy 54 West to Hwy 74 North which will solve the traffic issue, but it will be 18 months prolly until that's complete.

I used to live in Fairfield and the houses are quite small but nice enough for temporary living. I sold and moved when too many of my neighbors became rental properties. The train noise is minimal because you're on the opposite side of Ga 74 from the tracks and there's a pretty big buffer. In fact, you're going to get more train noise at Chadsworth (and any neighborhood in Wilksmor Village for that matter).

The neighborhoods around the Mac rec complex (I'm assuming near the amphitheater?) are gong to be older but the houses are solid and you'll get more for your money. Lots of kids in those neighborhoods and very quiet and convenient.

You'll be sure and want to get a golf cart shortly after moving to PTC.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 109,188 times
We are in the process of moving to Peachtree City from Florida. We too were moving when I was 36 weeks pregnant and decided to wait to deliver in my hometown instead of trying to find a new ob. We found a 4 bedroom rental for 1900. We will officially be moving in in July. We have 6 kids ages 15, 12, 8, 9 and and newborn. While visiting PC we had a good experience. We were at the local supermarket Publix and a nice lady heard we were moving from Florida and handed us 5 coupons for a free chicken sandwich for the kids. Everywhere we went people were super friendly and nice. It almost felt unreal to me.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM

48 posts, read 108,088 times
Peachtree City is a great area. It's a bit boring for the younger crowd but it really is fantastic for families who can afford it. I actually prefer Newnan/Coweta because there's more shopping and a real downtown area but you can't miss with PTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta