Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the fact that Atlanta is getting a Brand New Spanking Stadium?
YES 52 62.65%
NO 21 25.30%
I GUESS SO 10 12.05%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM

57 posts, read 74,754 times

Advertisements

I just moved here so I haven't been to the GA dome - but as fans, do any of you have specific complaints about the current GA Dome that makes you happy to see it torn down? Any time a new place is built we get excited, I understand that, but were there any problems with the current place?

If it's natural grass and a retractable roof, that could have been added to the existing place for far less money than replacing it, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
I respect that other fans love the Dome and will miss it, but for me this seems the perfect time to turn the page. Now maybe the Falcons can send the Dome out with a SB win before it's demolished.

To me the best moments for the Dome center around the 1996 Olympics, but I was a season ticket holder for Falcons games when Vick was carving up the field, but for me I always think of Vick and his ugly departure when I think of the Dome.
And the Fingerpoke of Doom.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,816,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg73 View Post
I just moved here so I haven't been to the GA dome - but as fans, do any of you have specific complaints about the current GA Dome that makes you happy to see it torn down? Any time a new place is built we get excited, I understand that, but were there any problems with the current place?
I think it was up for a few million in maintenance and overhaul costs. I think doing a full remodel and adding a retractable roof to the dome was considered but it would be just about as expensive. So the city agreed to redirect the funds that were paying to maintain the Dome towards a new stadium and Aurther Blank chipped in the remaining $1B. Ideally no tax dollars would go towards it, but I am fine with Aurther using his money to build a new stadium for his teams and the city.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
The poll asks: "Do you like the fact that Atlanta is getting a Brand New Spanking Stadium?"

Wow I just noticed that wording.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 PM

304 posts, read 323,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
LOL that is funny. Classic WCW moment. I was there when Goldberg defeated Hogan for the title, that was loudest I have ever heard a crowd in Atlanta, or in the Dome. As for the Finger Poke that was kinda the downfall of WCW.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg73 View Post

If it's natural grass and a retractable roof, that could have been added to the existing place for far less money than replacing it, I would think.
Nothing much is really wrong with the Dome, it's just not NEW and shinny. Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons, basically wants back into hosting the Superbowl, and the NFL basically told Blank in no uncertain terms that Atlanta would need to build a new stadium in order to facilitate that. Personally I could careless about hosting another SB, as it just brings more trouble than it's worth, especially here in ATL. But since Blank is spending over a billion of his own money, and little public funding is being used, I have no problem with Blank pursuing a new stadium even if it's mostly just to bring another SB to town. I would have preferred an open air stadium, but that ship set sail a long time ago.

I think retrofitting the current Dome with a retractable roof would be impossible if I am not mistaken simply because of how the GA Dome was built. Basically the roof is supported with thin wire cables, and you would need steel trusses to support that kind of roof. So it would in the end cost a ton of money to add a retractable roof.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,078,433 times
Quote:
Personally I could careless about hosting another SB
So you DO care about Atlanta hosting a Super Bowl?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 AM

158 posts, read 228,756 times
I honestly don't see what's wrong with the Georgia Dome (except that it can't host a super bowl), but whatever, none of my money is being spent on it and I'm not even a football fan anyway. If the city wants to piddle away its resources on things like this, then I guess that's their own business.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 AM

158 posts, read 228,756 times
Quote:
LOL that is funny. Classic WCW moment. I was there when Goldberg defeated Hogan for the title, that was loudest I have ever heard a crowd in Atlanta, or in the Dome. As for the Finger Poke that was kinda the downfall of WCW.
Hey I was in the Dome that night too. That was a massive pop, I had to fly out for vacation the next day and my ears were still ringing.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
So you DO care about Atlanta hosting a Super Bowl?
LOL just realized my goof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta