Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the fact that Atlanta is getting a Brand New Spanking Stadium?
YES 52 62.65%
NO 21 25.30%
I GUESS SO 10 12.05%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Not necessarily. If instead of offering the Falcons a new stadium, the city had offered one to the Braves where the new Falcons stadium is going, it would have consolidated the sports life of the metro area into one spot, which would very effectively be a year-round draw, which would thus have encouraged a lot of positive economic development, in the city. Instead, the Falcons stadium won't do anything that the Georgia Dome isn't, so basically the city spent $200 Million simply to maintain the status quo. Even IF the new stadium draws more events (and this is a huge IF) it won't be more than maybe 20 more events/days per year, it will otherwise sit vacant. A new Baseball stadium next to the Dome would have had events for about 80 days per year, PLUS the events in the Dome for probably 100 days per year total, but in the same location. This would have been a $200 Million investment, the way it is now, it's a $200 Million handout...or maybe ransom payment. There is no way Atlanta can recoup the costs AND profit off of this deal
Although I am not against the new Braves stadium in Cobb...I've always felt that the best location would have been the originally proposed "north site" up by Ivan Allen Blvd, which would have created a year-round experience down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 PM

304 posts, read 324,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Although I am not against the new Braves stadium in Cobb...I've always felt that the best location would have been the originally proposed "north site" up by Ivan Allen Blvd, which would have created a year-round experience down there.
Agree with both of you.

But of course that city of Atlanta was not going to give the Braves the financial support to make that a reality. I think Liberty Media knew that all along, and they bluffed the city when they asked for I believe the $200 million plus in renovations to Turner Field, knowing all along the city wouldn't do that. At the same time they were secretly talking to Cobb which they knew was more lucrative because Cobb would allow them to control the area around stadium to increase their revenue. This way Liberty Media could come back and tell the fans in the city of Atlanta, that they tried but the city was the one to blame.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:16 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. If instead of offering the Falcons a new stadium, the city had offered one to the Braves where the new Falcons stadium is going, it would have consolidated the sports life of the metro area into one spot, which would very effectively be a year-round draw, which would thus have encouraged a lot of positive economic development, in the city. Instead, the Falcons stadium won't do anything that the Georgia Dome isn't, so basically the city spent $200 Million simply to maintain the status quo. Even IF the new stadium draws more events (and this is a huge IF) it won't be more than maybe 20 more events/days per year, it will otherwise sit vacant. A new Baseball stadium next to the Dome would have had events for about 80 days per year, PLUS the events in the Dome for probably 100 days per year total, but in the same location. This would have been a $200 Million investment, the way it is now, it's a $200 Million handout...or maybe ransom payment. There is no way Atlanta can recoup the costs AND profit off of this deal
Except the Super Bowl and College Football Championship.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I included those two events in my reasoning, even if it's not explicit that I did.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
You're going to build a brand new MLB stadium for $200M?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
There is zero chance of a facility like the Georgia Dome getting another Super Bowl anytime remotely soon; they're getting to the point where they're bid like the World Cup or Olympics and a new stadium is basically a requirement at this point.

If the city of Atlanta had followed some of your advice, they'd have shelled out nearly half the cost of a new baseball facility; at best we'd be getting an improved version of Turner Field. Instead, for the same $200m, we're getting a $1.2billion facility that has the potential to bring serious events to Atlanta, ones that the Dome or a baseball field would never, ever have attracted.

If paying $300m for a $672m baseball field seems like a better investment, move to Cobb, stay off the Atlanta forum, and everyone will be happy.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM

How is a Superbowl beneficial? As the links earlier showed, they aren't necessarily profitable for the host city. But that's one, single event, that the new stadium will get what? Once? What will happen when the Falcons want to host another one in 10 years? Build another new stadium? A new baseball stadium near the existing Dome would have brought a lot more and a lot more continuous economic activity, mostly by virtue of it being a lot more throughout the year especially when taken in conjunction with a nearby football stadium.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
Agree with both of you.

But of course that city of Atlanta was not going to give the Braves the financial support to make that a reality. I think Liberty Media knew that all along, and they bluffed the city when they asked for I believe the $200 million plus in renovations to Turner Field, knowing all along the city wouldn't do that. At the same time they were secretly talking to Cobb which they knew was more lucrative because Cobb would allow them to control the area around stadium to increase their revenue. This way Liberty Media could come back and tell the fans in the city of Atlanta, that they tried but the city was the one to blame.
that seems about right.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 AM

57 posts, read 75,004 times
I see some people saying a baseball stadium is a better investment than a football stadium. Each deal has to be evaluated on its own merit, and the new Braves Stadium is no better for the taxpayers than the new Falcons stadium is/will be.

Braves stadium docs: Team pays 51-55% of costs, gets 100% of revenues | Field of Schemes

In this case, having more events throughout the year means nothing to the taxpayers if the team keeps everything.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg73 View Post
I see some people saying a baseball stadium is a better investment than a football stadium. Each deal has to be evaluated on its own merit, and the new Braves Stadium is no better for the taxpayers than the new Falcons stadium is/will be.

Braves stadium docs: Team pays 51-55% of costs, gets 100% of revenues | Field of Schemes

In this case, having more events throughout the year means nothing to the taxpayers if the team keeps everything.
You're missing the point. As a single, unconnected entity, there is no benefit. But had the Braves either stayed or been moved next to the Dome, there would have been substantial benefits. I've hashed them out earlier in this thread so I'm not doing it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta