Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,044 times

Advertisements

Windy Hill Road Projects Continue - Government - Smyrna-Vinings, GA Patch

The Windy Hill improvements from Cobb Pkwy to Power's Ferry are underway. The divergent diamond interchange is planned for next year. Due to failure of the T-Splost, Cobb is using a lot of federal dollars instead.

For those not familiar with divergent diamond, take Ashford-Dunwoody across I-285. Windy Hill's will be somewhat interesting, due to the service roads of Circle 75 and Interstate North. It'll require some interesting re-alignments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM

562 posts, read 1,789,825 times
Ughh my office is right there, this is def going to be a mess. I personally hate that diamond on ashford dunwoody as it seems counter-intuitive with the direction you go on the diamond (at least to me)!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Ughh my office is right there, this is def going to be a mess. I personally hate that diamond on ashford dunwoody as it seems counter-intuitive with the direction you go on the diamond (at least to me)!
I understand the anxiety, but I think they are brilliant.

It allows more cars to use the intersection by lowering the amount of traffic light cycles and lowering wait times at the traffic light.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM

I know it's awkward, but it's worth it. e.g. I KNEW the Ashford Dunwoody interchange was made into a DDI and still got a bit weirded out while driving over it. However, it really moved and wasn't completely backed up like it used to be.

Essentially, you just have to convince yourself you are British while on the bridge. Then once you reach the other side, you can be American again.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Essentially, you just have to convince yourself you are British while on the bridge. Then once you reach the other side, you can be American again.
Nice

The first time I rode over the Ashford Dunwoody bridge I found it to be very intuitive. Just don't think about and the lines take you exactly where you are supposed to go.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM

This is a really cool simulation of the interchange.

The simulation from Windy Hill Road Projects

Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,402,953 times
Its needed. That intersection in the afternoon is AWFUL at windy hill and cobb pkwy.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM

283 posts, read 360,228 times
I wish they would've built a Windy Hill flyover of Cobb Parkway. That intersection is a wreck.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Good stuff. It looks like there may be a C/D lane installed; would that go toward the new ballpark?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I wish they would've built a Windy Hill flyover of Cobb Parkway. That intersection is a wreck.
I'm against separated grade at Windy Hill and Cobb Parkway. It destroys and breaks up the urban character. Look at how that happened at Delk Rd and Cobb Parkway. I want that intersection to be a vibrant intersection someday, not some highway.

If they did try to separate grade, I'd want to see a full tunneling of Cobb Pkwy, and a park above the tunnel with proper access to businesses on either side of Cobb Parkway through a service road that (ignoring Cobb Pkwy entering a tunnel) looks urban in character. Basically, a boulevard appearance. Kind of like Pershing Square on Park Ave w/o Grand Central Station in the middle, and a park instead. Or similar tunneled boulevards in Paris.

Sadly, I think it is going to happen if they do the BRT. I guess I need to start pushing for a park up there along Windy Hill if they separate grade. It'd be beautiful, with a view of both Galleria and midtown, maybe even Buckhead.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-06-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta