Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:32 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
If Toomer was fantastic, there wouldn't be a mile-long waiting list for Drew. It's a decent fallback position, and now that parents can pretty much mentally write-off Drew from the get-go, hopefully there were be a new surge of enthusiastic parents at Toomer. Interestingly, Drew becoming essentially "off limits" for those neighborhoods could be a big boon to Toomer. APS seems determined to keep the area stuck in a quagmire of uncertainty, particularly with the middle school. It makes it really tough on parents and potential buyers when APS votes to shuffle the school arrangement every 2 years.

I totally agree. Kirkwood property owners and parents will see a big benefit from Drew's waitlist filling up. I don't think it's generally good for sale prices/property values when interest is contingent on getting a lottery place at a charter school. What I wonder about is what the dynamic will be 5 to 10 years from now in the Toomer, BPA, and Parkside areas if both the traditional public schools and the charter schools are well-regarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Wait, Old Fourth Ward is a nice place to live? Wow... Sorry I haven't been back there in 10 years, but noticed this thread as I was scrolling down to the MA forums. I remember eating at places along Ponce like Mary Mac's and Eats, but I was absolutely terrified to even drive through any of those streets south of Ponce.
Yeah, crazy, right? O4W outside of the Section 8 area is hopping. New park, tons of condos, rehabs.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Exactly. Toomer is rated a 2 out of 10 on Greatschools for what it is worth. A long ways to go to get into the fantastic category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
If Toomer was fantastic, there wouldn't be a mile-long waiting list for Drew. .

Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Exactly. Toomer is rated a 2 out of 10 on Greatschools for what it is worth. A long ways to go to get into the fantastic category.
If you put that much belief in a website then I know a guy that's a French model.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Whatever the merits of Greatschools, I think the overall trajectory of schools in East Lake and Kirkwood are toward a more affluent student body, which correlates pretty highly to Greatschools score. The reduction to a 2 out of 10 was pretty foreseeable in light of the addition of students from the closed East Lake Elementary last year, a large percentage of whom were eligible for free and reduced lunch. Personally, I don't think it's anything the school did or didn't do.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
I don't get the question. What is a "gentrified area" and, OP, why are you specifically looking for one?

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If you put that much belief in a website then I know a guy that's a French model.
Toomer Elementary School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

Toomer Elementary School in Atlanta GA - SchoolDigger.com

Press Release - 2012 CRCT Results: More Students Exceeding Standards (UPDATED 7.12.12)

All of these indicate the school sucks.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
A friend whose kid was zoned for SPARKS (9 on Greatschools.com), sent her kid to Toomer for pre-K, after a year at both- she had positive feelings toward both--I think she felt SPARKS was better, but definitely did not feel that Toomer "sucked", and she felt her child was well prepared for his first year at SPARKS. While I think the school websites are a great resource, you can't just ignore the experience of parents that send their kids to a school.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Why is everyone predicting good things for APS in 15 years?
Sounds like wishful thinking.

I don't see anything that indicates the administration is moving in the right direction. APS may be better. It may be worse. Gentrification doesn't mean the people necessarily send their kids to the local public school. Sometimes they just move when they get to elementary or middle school.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Thank you for your opinion on that school, but I have actually set foot in the school and I can tel you it does not suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta