Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times

Advertisements

Uh, this isn't arrest-worthy IMO. What if this guy was really being a nuisance and slandering female riders. He didn't even try to hurt the guy, just removed him.

Of course when you frame it as "guy pushes elderly man off of Marta train" you make sound more ridiculous than it actually is. No one is just going to just push an elderly guy off a train without thinking they had good reason in doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM

749 posts, read 886,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Uh, this isn't arrest-worthy IMO. What if this guy was really being a nuisance and slandering female riders. He didn't even try to hurt the guy, just removed him.

Of course when you frame it as "guy pushes elderly man off of Marta train" you make sound more ridiculous than it actually is. No one is just going to just push an elderly guy off a train without thinking they had good reason in doing so.
Yeah, it sounds like we are only getting half the story here.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:

Exactly. That's the angle that the media is pushing though.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:28 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:

Isn't that the definition of assault - laying your hands on somebody? He may not have battered him, but I think he had a good idea what would happen next when you throw someone off the train and then toss their walker off after them.

No matter what the old man was saying, it looks like he was sitting in his seat saying it. The old man looked like he could use a full mental evaluation but the younger man needs anger management.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Isn't that the definition of assault - laying your hands on somebody? He may not have battered him, but I think he had a good idea what would happen next when you throw someone off the train and then toss their walker off after them.

No matter what the old man was saying, it looks like he was sitting in his seat saying it. The old man looked like he could use a full mental evaluation but the younger man needs anger management.
Well said, ElleKaye. It looked to me like the train was still moving when he shoved the old fellow off. That could be extremely dangerous.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Ok. I just watched a clearer version. Yeah, the guy in the black was definitely in the wrong in being hateful about it, but it looks like the elderly guy could've been issuing out threats/insults in the beginning. In any case, I don't think he should be arrested for it.

I would like to hear the full story. This is why I hate when the media gets to this sort of stuff. They are able to shift our perception of an incident off of presentation alone.

But like I said, no one is just going to best up on an old guy (unless they are robbing, crazy themselves or performing gang initiations). It's clear that he tried to remove him from whatever the situation was ( irrespective of his hateful tone). If that were the case that he acted with the intent to harm, we'd hear much more uproar from the actual passengers in the car. They seem to be cheering him.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
MARTA is not SMARTA these days.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why do people stand around filming with their cellphones instead of alerting the police or rending aid?

Yet another sad commentary on our society.

I saw one guy try to argue with the bus driver to get a ride. A passenger, big guy, got and and stood in front of him, just daring him to do something. Well, the guy tried to shove him, big mistake, the big guy shoved him right out of the bus, and the bus driver closed the door and drove away, with the guy running after the bus. I really don't feel sorry for the guy trying to bum the ride.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
MARTA is not SMARTA these days.
As opposed to any other location in the world? Seriously, why all the hate on MARTA for something that isn't unique to it?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
As opposed to any other location in the world? Seriously, why all the hate on MARTA for something that isn't unique to it?
Yes, let's not make a situation like this unique to MARTA and Atlanta. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta